Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 08:34 AM

7 posts, read 11,875 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (African Ammerican)plan to move to Georgia in July 2009. We will be making 2 visits before that time to look at both areas. We have not had much success with feedback on resumes we sent to companies hiring in Georgia, so just plan to take our savings and move and go from there.

We are from Royal Oak Michigan, my husband has a degree in Healthcare management and I just got my degree in accounting. We have 4 boys ages 2, 6, 8 and 17. We both have bi-racial backgrounds so a community with diversity for our children is important.

We are looking for jobs in that fields of course; laid back city appeaal for our boys with a cultural mix. Big enough city( when I say big I mean a city that has a kmart or walmart and Sams Club or Costco, a strip mall thats atleast 20 minutes away, 1 grocery store and 2 pharmacys) in which there are things to do but small enough where it has a wholesome appeal (city with only 1 high school and middle school)and has some growing to do in the up coming years in which we could be apart of.

Good school district with speech services for 1 of our 8 year old. We don't need some top of the line school (thats overcrowded) but a good wholesome district where children are getting their education and services on time instead of "in a timely manner. A friendly community . A city that has activities and community events for the children. We are not concerned about our drive for work as opposed to our kids having a neighborhood school that values the childrens education.
Which area would be better for us? If you have a city other than Columbus or Augusta please mention.

Tanks in advance for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:30 AM

841 posts, read 1,401,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toy1416 View Post
You Should consider the Macon-Warner Robins Area......This is has all the things you looking for as well as being less than a hour away from Atlanta.

Hear are some Website to check out for yourself( thats best than what people say because people on here tends to paint negative pictures)

NewTown Macon - Home
http://www.discovermacon.org/page.php
MySpace.com - Macon - 29 - Male - MACON, Georgia - www.myspace.com/348499737
Macon Homepage
The Official City of Macon Web Site - Home Page
Macon, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Official City of Macon Web Site - City Profile (http://www.cityofmacon.net/Proflie/ - broken link)
//www.city-data.com/forum/georg...le-retail.html

Old 02-15-2009, 12:04 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,652,074 times
Columbus and Augusta are very similar. Both are growing cities with lots to offer. Columbus was recently voted the #4 best city in the country to raise a family. That should be appealing since you have kids. I will be happy to help you with any specific questions about Columbus.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:44 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,500,755 times
I assume you have a secure job offering from both cities so... here goes.

I'm not very familiar with Columbus, so can't really make an accurate summary.

I have been to Augusta several times. The best schools (from what I hear) are in Columbia County. Ranked in the top 3 of the state. However, overcrowding is a problem (not sure about the elementary or middle schools, but I know the high schools are overcrowded). Aiken County also has many exceptional schools. If you want to live in a place with a community feel, then you should move to North Augusta. Very cute town, and it's right across the river. However, the mall is probably 20 minutes (??) or so away.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:13 PM

220 posts, read 622,596 times
The best highschools in Augusta and Georgia 8-12 are. Davidson the number one school in the GA. A.R Johnson the number 3 school in the state. Are both in richmond county.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:22 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
For the kids, if you must stay in the city limits, Columbus has better public schools. Augusta is much better for healthcare jobs than Columbus, though. Other then that, Augusta is noticebly bigger with more things than Columbus. Columbus is much more "country" in feel than Augusta. You can find nice places in both cities and their metro areas to reside in.

For what you're looking for I guess I'd pick Columbus, but it bored me to death.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:19 PM

5 posts, read 11,660 times
Default Need some help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Columbus and Augusta are very similar. Both are growing cities with lots to offer. Columbus was recently voted the #4 best city in the country to raise a family. That should be appealing since you have kids. I will be happy to help you with any specific questions about Columbus.
Hi there, we are moving in to Columbus soon. Can you give me some details on the city and good daycares? we've got a "will be 2 year old". Thanks

Old 02-16-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchristensen View Post
Hi there, we are moving in to Columbus soon. Can you give me some details on the city and good daycares? we've got a "will be 2 year old". Thanks
What particular details are you looking for?

As for a daycare, Growing Rooms is a good place to look at. Here is their website Growing Room Child Development Centers

Old 02-16-2009, 08:48 PM

5 posts, read 11,660 times
What area to live in and is the city as horrible as a lot of people say and why is it so horrible?

Old 02-17-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchristensen View Post
What area to live in and is the city as horrible as a lot of people say and why is it so horrible?
North Columbus or Midland is where you should look. Columbus is not horrible like a couple posters like to make it out to be. Columbus has a ton to offer for everyone. New restaurants, retail, neighborhoods, recreational activities, museums, you name it. You will like the city. Once you are here you will definitely enjoy the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia