U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 05:46 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,407,637 times

Advertisements

you can still get a drink in a restaurant on sunday if the town allows it.

if you need a bottle of whiskey or a case of beer for sunday at home, why can't you just buy it on saturday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 06:00 PM

52,260 posts, read 47,954,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
you can still get a drink in a restaurant on sunday if the town allows it.

if you need a bottle of whiskey or a case of beer for sunday at home, why can't you just buy it on saturday?
Why shouldn't you be able to buy it on Sunday?

Old 02-19-2009, 06:18 PM

30 posts, read 83,410 times
Most of the Nation has the same liquor laws. I would be more concerned with energy conservation/ recycling, job securities, and immigration enforcement. These few items should be on his top agenda at all times and it may already be, but you don't hear much from the Governor. I know, I'm a little off the subject. But I worry about that more than anything.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 02-19-2009, 06:23 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,116,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post

Same reason you shouldn't buy over 3% beer in a Colorado grocery store or have to buy beer from a State store in Pennsylvania, they're all dumb laws!

Old 02-19-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I don't know. call your congressman.

for now, why can't you buy it on saturday?

Old 02-19-2009, 09:28 PM

8,059 posts, read 10,575,618 times
Quote:
As one in retail sales, the push to be open all the time is not necessarily a good thing no matter what you buy. For some reason here in TX, car dealerships are required to close on Sunday. Yet the mall down the street is open. I don't understand it but I am glad it is that way.

The push for relegating Christianity to the sidelines in our culture has had negative effects IMO. There is nothing wrong with having a designated day of the week where businesses shut down for the predominant religious persuasion of the country. If you are not of that religious persuasion, enjoy the day off. But everyone who has weekends off want a majority of the people who work in retail or restaurants or entertainment industries to be open for them.

I am not saying that all business should be closed on Sundays, but consideration for people with families that are required to work weekends needs to be taken into account. If TX did change its laws and the car dealerships were open on Sunday, I would have to work both Saturday and Sunday and have no time with my kids on weekends.

People are going to purchase the goods they want and need. Would being open on Sunday cause more people in my corner of TX to buy more Hondas? I don't think so.

Truett Cathey's business plan is working, Chick-Fil-A is closed on Sundays as you know and is one of the best run and most profitable restaurant chains in the country. Can't say that they have suffered.

There are six days in a week to buy what you need. I wish the Blue Laws were back in effect and not because it is a sin or all should be required to go to church or whatever else some of you will bash me for, but working on Sundays is not a thing to look forward to, especially when working 8am to 9pm each Saturday and missing out on my family.

Think of it from that perspective. I bet a good majority wanting the right to buy their alcohol on Sundays have nice 9-5 M-F jobs. Walk a mile in the shoes of someone that has to work all weekend.

OK, thanks for the opportunity to vent. JMHO.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:44 PM

52,260 posts, read 47,954,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
As one in retail sales, the push to be open all the time is not necessarily a good thing no matter what you buy. For some reason here in TX, car dealerships are required to close on Sunday. Yet the mall down the street is open. I don't understand it but I am glad it is that way.

The push for relegating Christianity to the sidelines in our culture has had negative effects IMO. There is nothing wrong with having a designated day of the week where businesses shut down for the predominant religious persuasion of the country. If you are not of that religious persuasion, enjoy the day off. But everyone who has weekends off want a majority of the people who work in retail or restaurants or entertainment industries to be open for them.

I am not saying that all business should be closed on Sundays, but consideration for people with families that are required to work weekends needs to be taken into account. If TX did change its laws and the car dealerships were open on Sunday, I would have to work both Saturday and Sunday and have no time with my kids on weekends.

People are going to purchase the goods they want and need. Would being open on Sunday cause more people in my corner of TX to buy more Hondas? I don't think so.

Truett Cathey's business plan is working, Chick-Fil-A is closed on Sundays as you know and is one of the best run and most profitable restaurant chains in the country. Can't say that they have suffered.

There are six days in a week to buy what you need. I wish the Blue Laws were back in effect and not because it is a sin or all should be required to go to church or whatever else some of you will bash me for, but working on Sundays is not a thing to look forward to, especially when working 8am to 9pm each Saturday and missing out on my family.

Think of it from that perspective. I bet a good majority wanting the right to buy their alcohol on Sundays have nice 9-5 M-F jobs. Walk a mile in the shoes of someone that has to work all weekend.

OK, thanks for the opportunity to vent. JMHO.
I just doin't think there should be laws regulating "when" you can sell something.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I just doin't think there should be laws regulating "when" you can sell something.
so.

there's a lot of laws i disagree with as well. unless you can get them changed, you'll just have to deal with it.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:26 PM

281 posts, read 542,550 times
Since it's not a religous issue, can we change the one day we can't buy to Wednesday so it won't interfere with football?
This law was passed to promote Christianity-how is that not unconstitutional?
If you want to go to church on Sunday then please feel free to go. Just don't try to use the power of government to try to compel me to go. Pure tyranny.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:54 PM

8,059 posts, read 10,575,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
Since it's not a religous issue, can we change the one day we can't buy to Wednesday so it won't interfere with football?
This law was passed to promote Christianity-how is that not unconstitutional?
If you want to go to church on Sunday then please feel free to go. Just don't try to use the power of government to try to compel me to go. Pure tyranny.
The argument for Sunday blue laws being anti constitutional and we are not a Christian nation, blah, blah, blah, has led this to be a work day for many many people. I don't get your connect that not working that day equates with government compeling you to go to church and pure tyranny.

You make the statement if you want to go to church, then go. Repealing blue laws has made it difficult for many to attend church. I make the statement if you DON'T want to go then DON'T go. Blue laws never, ever required any American to go to church. Your logic is non existent here.

The anti Christian crowd now has us as a 24/7 culture, we are working more hours than ever and making less just to make a point about separation of church and state (which is not phrased as such anywhere in the constitution by the way).

Seems like an exercise in cutting off ones nose to spite their face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or