U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2009, 09:52 PM
 
281 posts, read 542,506 times
Reputation: 198

Advertisements

Alcohol is not sold on Sunday in Georgia because the government is trying to compel people to go to church on Sunday, which is a business they should not be in. I do not see how allowing alcohol to be sold on Sunday would require you to work on Sunday. If a liquor store does not choose to sell on Sunday they don't have to. They are free to remain closed. Unless you work at a liquor store that would force you to work on Sunday if the law changed, I really don't see your argument. If you do work at such a liquor store, I suggest you seek other employment anyway. So please explain how allowing alcohol to be sold on Sunday would force you to work on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2009, 12:21 AM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
8,059 posts, read 10,573,581 times
Reputation: 6176
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
Alcohol is not sold on Sunday in Georgia because the government is trying to compel people to go to church on Sunday, which is a business they should not be in. I do not see how allowing alcohol to be sold on Sunday would require you to work on Sunday. If a liquor store does not choose to sell on Sunday they don't have to. They are free to remain closed. Unless you work at a liquor store that would force you to work on Sunday if the law changed, I really don't see your argument. If you do work at such a liquor store, I suggest you seek other employment anyway. So please explain how allowing alcohol to be sold on Sunday would force you to work on Sunday.
Read my previous post where the subject was broadened to include blue laws that have been repealed. Not too many years ago, most businesses closed on Sundays. Now most retail is open on Sundays. That is my point, not just liquor sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,862 posts, read 15,228,045 times
Reputation: 3576
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
Alcohol is not sold on Sunday in Georgia because the government is trying to compel people to go to church on Sunday, which is a business they should not be in. I do not see how allowing alcohol to be sold on Sunday would require you to work on Sunday. If a liquor store does not choose to sell on Sunday they don't have to. They are free to remain closed. Unless you work at a liquor store that would force you to work on Sunday if the law changed, I really don't see your argument. If you do work at such a liquor store, I suggest you seek other employment anyway. So please explain how allowing alcohol to be sold on Sunday would force you to work on Sunday.
When MA changed it's blue laws many years ago, part of the law specified that no current employee could be compelled to work on Sunday against their will, if the business had previously been closed. Somehow in this economy, I doubt many people will have a problem with it, and there will be many people that would love a part time job on Sunday.

This whole discussion is ridiculous. All businesses should be free to open on Sunday or remain closed, and consumers should be free to buy on Sunday or not, depending on their choice.

The issue at hand is that the state for many years has decided that the Christian sabbath is somehow more deserving and that the state is responsible for promoting attendance in church by restricting shopping activities on Sunday. Why not the Jewish sabbath on Sat or the Muslim sabbath on Fri, or for that matter the atheist sabbath?

Now before all the folks who want to hurl names at Perdue get rolling, please tell me which former Governors, all Democrats, proposed and supported a change to the law to allow store sales of alcohol on Sunday? I disagree with Perdue on this topic, but let's not pretend that Barnes or other past Gov's, who had Democrat majorities in the legislature, were any more supportive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2009, 11:26 PM
 
Location: sowf jawja
1,940 posts, read 8,406,480 times
Reputation: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
Alcohol is not sold on Sunday in Georgia because the government is trying to compel people to go to church on Sunday, . . .
explain how you came to this conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2009, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,862 posts, read 15,228,045 times
Reputation: 3576
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
explain how you came to this conclusion.
Compel is probably the wrong word, but you're naive if you don't recognize the intent of the law. Even some states that sell on Sunday restrict sales until after noon or 1pm, so as not to interfere with church time. It's all about promoting attendance in church and "keeping the sabbath." What's your explanation, if not that?

It's time to let individuals decide if they want to go to church or if they want to just stop by the local packie and pick up a 12 pack and get hammered on a Sunday morning. Politicians need to keep their personal religious views to themselves and we need to get rid of the these leftover laws that still make government policy based on religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2009, 06:51 AM
 
281 posts, read 542,506 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
explain how you came to this conclusion.
I'll tell you how I came to my conclusion if you explain to me why they chose Sunday to prohibit the sale of alcohol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2009, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Triangle, North Carolina
2,819 posts, read 9,534,724 times
Reputation: 1507
Oh Brother
This is two fold. In the majority of the areas restaurants can sell drinks on Sunday. It is the stores and C-Stores that are not allowed.
Religion smidgin, the only reason you have government props' pushing Sunday sales now is one word, no it is not Religion, but REVENUE. More money for the Gold Dome to waste.

Outside of the C-Stores that mostly sell overpriced quarts and ripple to those in the middle of DT's, many of the ABC independent stores are overall fine with the law the way it is. Why? Overhead. Sunday sales of anything is nothing compared to the rest of the week, unless it is an eating establishment, where you can yes still buy alcohol. But independent's have to pay help, turn on the lights, run the a/c or heat, etc, and hope to maybe break even on this day.

It amazes me how our society has turned from adults into whinny children I WANT MY BOOZE ON SUNDAY I WANT MY BOOZE ON SUNDAY GONNA KICK SCREAM AND POU'T UNTIL I'M ALLOWED TO BUY MY DRINKY Hey, maybe you should buy a sippy cup too.

Now don't try to think about Sonny, church, religion, etc., but cost to the establishment. The only heat you are hearing is from the C-Stores, wonder why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2009, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
3,528 posts, read 4,398,341 times
Reputation: 2299
I actually don't mind the blue laws. What's wrong with honoring the 7th day of the week as a day of rest? I am a strictly observant Baptist in those regards. Also I just don't see it as very responsible to allow for more drinking than there already is, considering the DUI's and all.

I'm more concerned about other economically damaging things ocurring under our "hero" Sonny like his lack of vision for good transportation or his and the State Legislature's unwillingness to make the ultra-wealthy share more of the burden of funding our infrastructure, while simultaneously allowing population & housing growth to go out of control.

Alcohol issues are simply too menial and unimportant to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2009, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,862 posts, read 15,228,045 times
Reputation: 3576
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
I actually don't mind the blue laws. What's wrong with honoring the 7th day of the week as a day of rest?
You just completely miss the point...and that's the big problem. If you want to honor "the 7th day" then go for it. Go to church and do whatever it is that you personally do.

What should not be happening is the government making laws to compel me to observe YOUR day of rest. The government should be completely neutral on such matters and leave the choices to individuals. If you don't want to buy booze on Sunday, then the answer is simple....JUST DON'T. I don't drink all that much, but if I want to buy a 6 pack and watch a football game, I should be able to do so. It's not about alcohol, it's about freedom and choice.

What you and many people who believe in fundamental Christianity fail to grasp is that many people don't believe in religion. Other people believe in a different religion. Jews have their "day of rest"...their "7th day"... on Saturday, as do 7th Day Adventists Christians. Muslins have their "7th day" on Friday, and many other religions such as Bhuddism and Hinduism have no "day of rest." Not everyone is a southern Baptist. The government is supposed to provide protection for the minority, although I know that for a long time that's been a foreign concept to southerners. These days, I bet that people who agree with me are the majority, and that's what's even more infuriating.

This whole argument is that folks like our Governor want to make their personal social choices public policy. It's time for that outdated and unconstitutional thinking to go the way of other previous southern thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2009, 12:28 PM
 
281 posts, read 542,506 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Oh Brother
This is two fold. In the majority of the areas restaurants can sell drinks on Sunday. It is the stores and C-Stores that are not allowed.
Religion smidgin, the only reason you have government props' pushing Sunday sales now is one word, no it is not Religion, but REVENUE. More money for the Gold Dome to waste.

Outside of the C-Stores that mostly sell overpriced quarts and ripple to those in the middle of DT's, many of the ABC independent stores are overall fine with the law the way it is. Why? Overhead. Sunday sales of anything is nothing compared to the rest of the week, unless it is an eating establishment, where you can yes still buy alcohol. But independent's have to pay help, turn on the lights, run the a/c or heat, etc, and hope to maybe break even on this day.

It amazes me how our society has turned from adults into whinny children I WANT MY BOOZE ON SUNDAY I WANT MY BOOZE ON SUNDAY GONNA KICK SCREAM AND POU'T UNTIL I'M ALLOWED TO BUY MY DRINKY Hey, maybe you should buy a sippy cup too.

Now don't try to think about Sonny, church, religion, etc., but cost to the establishment. The only heat you are hearing is from the C-Stores, wonder why?
Liquor stores don't want to allow sales because they don't want to compete against grocery stores which are already open. They feel they wouldn't sell enough to make it worthwhile.
It seems to me like you are being the whiney one. "I don't want to drink on Sunday, so you shouldn't be allowed to either" Why don't you move to Iran if you want the government to control all vices? I'm sure you would fit right in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top