U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-22-2009, 07:45 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,862 posts, read 15,225,379 times
Reputation: 3576

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Oh Brother
This is two fold. In the majority of the areas restaurants can sell drinks on Sunday. It is the stores and C-Stores that are not allowed.
Religion smidgin, the only reason you have government props' pushing Sunday sales now is one word, no it is not Religion, but REVENUE. More money for the Gold Dome to waste.
I disagree with your assertion, but even if it's correct...so what? The fact of the matter is that there is no reason that people can't be given the freedom to vote as to whether or not they want Sunday sales.

The fact that I'm being ignored and my question to folks like SouthGeorgia goes unanswered tells me that I'm correct. Answer the simple question:

Why do we have a law that prohibits in store alcohol sales on Sunday? It has nothing to do with alcohol but rather religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2009, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
8,059 posts, read 10,570,079 times
Reputation: 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I disagree with your assertion, but even if it's correct...so what? The fact of the matter is that there is no reason that people can't be given the freedom to vote as to whether or not they want Sunday sales.

The fact that I'm being ignored and my question to folks like SouthGeorgia goes unanswered tells me that I'm correct. Answer the simple question:

Why do we have a law that prohibits in store alcohol sales on Sunday? It has nothing to do with alcohol but rather religion.
I answered it in a previous thread when I said that no alcohol sales are a vestige of blue laws. If you want me to expand, I will.

Blue laws do have to do with the history of this country being primarily a Christian nation. While the founding fathers did not establish a certain denomination as a state church and set religious freedom as a priority, the nation has always been a majority Christian nation. The tradition of laws honoring Sunday were brought over from Europe and were not invented here. As these laws have been eroded bit by bit, alcohol sales are one of the few remnants of blue laws still on the books.

The point I made earlier is the loss for all Americans to have a designated day of rest because of those that promote an anti Christian agenda. The argument for it to be Saturday for Jews or Friday for Muslims or another day of the week so as not to promote any religion just makes us nothing more than a 24/7 society.

Those that still work a regular M-F work week, perhaps we should abolish that as well. Why should schools and many industries be off on Saturday and Sunday? Perhaps everybody ought to be required to work everyday of the week. The kids ought to go to school 7 days a week. This is discriminatory, right?

I rue the loss of blue laws that did keep Sunday special. I am a church going Christian, so it bears a special place for me. But the argument that the government did this to enforce church attendance is one of the silliest, most unfounded statements I've heard. Take a day of rest, take a trip, visit family, whatever if you don't go to church, but to erode the day as special because it is Christian just hurts everyone.

I could care less if people could by alcohol or not on Sunday. It is the erosion of blue laws as a whole that bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,862 posts, read 15,225,379 times
Reputation: 3576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The argument for it to be Saturday for Jews or Friday for Muslims or another day of the week so as not to promote any religion just makes us nothing more than a 24/7 society.
No...it makes us a free society that follows the US Constitution and doesn't make any laws establishing a state backed religion. I'm an atheist. I don't believe in your religion. However, I don't want to take away your right to worship your God if you wish in your own way. That's what America is about and how it was founded. The only thing I ask is that you don't try to force your religious rules on me.

Again...this is so simple...if you don't want to buy alcohol, or shop for clothes, or do whatever on Sunday, then don't. No one is forcing you. Just don't use the power of the state to compel me to follow your religious rules.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Those that still work a regular M-F work week, perhaps we should abolish that as well. Why should schools and many industries be off on Saturday and Sunday? Perhaps everybody ought to be required to work everyday of the week. The kids ought to go to school 7 days a week. This is discriminatory, right?
Now your just being silly and grasping at straws to try and defend your point. The blue laws were about religion....period. No one mentioned going to school 24x7 or anything close.

How about we follow your point and close all stores on Saturday? Then we wouldn't be a "24x7 society", right? Would that be OK? I bet not, because the aim is to be closed on your religious sabbath...Sunday.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I rue the loss of blue laws that did keep Sunday special. I am a church going Christian, so it bears a special place for me. But the argument that the government did this to enforce church attendance is one of the silliest, most unfounded statements I've heard. Take a day of rest, take a trip, visit family, whatever if you don't go to church, but to erode the day as special because it is Christian just hurts everyone.
Sunday is your day....not mine. Not the day for Jews. Not the day for Muslims. Not the day for Bhuddists or Hindus. I don't want to rest on Sunday. You rest but don't force me through the power of government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I could care less if people could by alcohol or not on Sunday. It is the erosion of blue laws as a whole that bother me.
It appears like you do care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Triangle, North Carolina
2,819 posts, read 9,533,397 times
Reputation: 1507
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I disagree with your assertion, but even if it's correct...so what? The fact of the matter is that there is no reason that people can't be given the freedom to vote as to whether or not they want Sunday sales.

The fact that I'm being ignored and my question to folks like SouthGeorgia goes unanswered tells me that I'm correct. Answer the simple question:

Why do we have a law that prohibits in store alcohol sales on Sunday? It has nothing to do with alcohol but rather religion.
Neil,
You are 100 percent correct, the old blue laws were on the books from way before our time. Since America was founded on Euro-centric overall Christian values, Sunday was looked to as a day of rest and family.
With this said I am not a religious person.

My whole issue is the way the state now wants to address the issue, which is to increase tax revenue. It always amazes me how government wants to have sin taxes since smoking and drinking are bad for you, but on the other hand wants you to drink and smoke your life away to gain tax revenue.

Frankly, I could really care less on how the measure goes, but I always root against items when the only reason they are being approached is to raise more money for the government sow.

Now for the little Elves, whom wish that I go to the Middle East.
Question: You have referenced this many times when folks speak to you.
Have you ever been there? I have, actually left part of me back there, both mentally that will stay with me for life and a piece of my shoulder in the sand. Hey! maybe with a little water it will grow another me. Yes, all of this under uniform, strapped, locked, and loaded. How about you? Ever been out of the country? I gather from your comments no, if so, maybe being a REMF would be your MOS in the zone, eh?
In short, if you have not been there then then pipe it Skippy!, since you have no idea what the hell your talking about outside of your daily scoop of CNN.

As far as me whinning, Well Bud, was it you that started the thread? Whinning about Sonny being a Moron?
Everything is Sonny's fault, how about all the Gov's in the past that did not repeal Blue's?

Here is your cry towel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
 
281 posts, read 542,433 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
Neil,
You are 100 percent correct, the old blue laws were on the books from way before our time. Since America was founded on Euro-centric overall Christian values, Sunday was looked to as a day of rest and family.
With this said I am not a religious person.

My whole issue is the way the state now wants to address the issue, which is to increase tax revenue. It always amazes me how government wants to have sin taxes since smoking and drinking are bad for you, but on the other hand wants you to drink and smoke your life away to gain tax revenue.

Frankly, I could really care less on how the measure goes, but I always root against items when the only reason they are being approached is to raise more money for the government sow.

Now for the little Elves, whom wish that I go to the Middle East.
Question: You have referenced this many times when folks speak to you.
Have you ever been there? I have, actually left part of me back there, both mentally that will stay with me for life and a piece of my shoulder in the sand. Hey! maybe with a little water it will grow another me. Yes, all of this under uniform, strapped, locked, and loaded. How about you? Ever been out of the country? I gather from your comments no, if so, maybe being a REMF would be your MOS in the zone, eh?
In short, if you have not been there then then pipe it Skippy!, since you have no idea what the hell your talking about outside of your daily scoop of CNN.

As far as me whinning, Well Bud, was it you that started the thread? Whinning about Sonny being a Moron?
Everything is Sonny's fault, how about all the Gov's in the past that did not repeal Blue's?

Here is your cry towel
So I should not be allowed to buy a beer on Sunday because you are worried about the State of Georgia making a bit more tax revenue? That's brilliant. I guess it is better that all that revenue goes to the border states? I didn't realize that the State of Georgia was so flush with cash. Maybe they could invest in education in South Georgia with the extra money. Surely Sonny and the republican legislature wouldn't waste the money anyway. Don't buy alcohol if you don't want to see your money going to the state-problem solved. I don't think the state has a gun to your head forcing you to buy alcohol.
Your service in Iraq was admirable I'm sure, but irrevelent here. Why did you go over to Iraq to fight for their freedom while you don't seem to object to our version of the taliban stomping all over the constitution here? My point was that only countries like Iran allow their religion to be legislated.
If one person could give me a rational, non-religous reason why I shouldn't be allowed to go to Kroger on Sunday and buy a beer I will not post on the subject again. And don't give me that "buy on Saturday" bs.

Last edited by elvez; 02-23-2009 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:05 PM
 
969 posts, read 2,655,950 times
Reputation: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvez View Post
Your service in Iraq was admirable I'm sure, but irrevelent here. Why did you go over to Iraq to fight for their freedom while you don't seem to object to our version of the taliban stomping all over the constitution here?
Congrats! You've been officially elevated to troll status by that comment. We'll see if you don't post on this subject again.....

Oh..the constitution does NOT give, grant or protect your "right" to drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:11 PM
 
281 posts, read 542,433 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
Congrats! You've been officially elevated to troll status by that comment. We'll see if you don't post on this subject again.....

Oh..the constitution does NOT give, grant or protect your "right" to drink.
Answer the question...

My comment was 100% correct. Once again, alcohol is not the central issue. The issue is the religous majority (in this case Southern Babtists) trying to legislate their beliefs(sin to drink on Sunday) on the minority.
Once again, just answer the question without using religion:
Why should I not be allowed to go to Kroger on Sunday and buy a beer?

Last edited by elvez; 02-23-2009 at 03:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Triangle, North Carolina
2,819 posts, read 9,533,397 times
Reputation: 1507
Ok, I will place this as my final post as a member.
Now, let's debate Booz on Sunday sales.
The next reference I see by the thread author comparing our state government etc., to the Taliban or other terrorist organizations I will close this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 04:43 PM
 
Location: sowf jawja
1,940 posts, read 8,404,591 times
Reputation: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

The fact that I'm being ignored and my question to folks like SouthGeorgia goes unanswered tells me that I'm correct. Answer the simple question:
what do you want to know from me? most of you are asking the same questions, so i assumed you could find your answer from a reply to someone else.

i skip through most of this, as i find no interest in it.

if you're going to ask me why can't you buy it on sunday, i'll say it again, you should already know that answer; and what point would be proved by getting an answer from me?

further more, i have to refrain from making too many of my conservative viewpoints known, because every time i do, someone gets their feelings hurt and i get a weeklong ban from the site.

is there anything else i've left unanswered for you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2009, 08:22 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
8,059 posts, read 10,570,079 times
Reputation: 6175
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
No...it makes us a free society that follows the US Constitution and doesn't make any laws establishing a state backed religion. I'm an atheist. I don't believe in your religion. However, I don't want to take away your right to worship your God if you wish in your own way. That's what America is about and how it was founded. The only thing I ask is that you don't try to force your religious rules on me.

Again...this is so simple...if you don't want to buy alcohol, or shop for clothes, or do whatever on Sunday, then don't. No one is forcing you. Just don't use the power of the state to compel me to follow your religious rules.

Now your just being silly and grasping at straws to try and defend your point. The blue laws were about religion....period. No one mentioned going to school 24x7 or anything close.

How about we follow your point and close all stores on Saturday? Then we wouldn't be a "24x7 society", right? Would that be OK? I bet not, because the aim is to be closed on your religious sabbath...Sunday.




Sunday is your day....not mine. Not the day for Jews. Not the day for Muslims. Not the day for Bhuddists or Hindus. I don't want to rest on Sunday. You rest but don't force me through the power of government.



It appears like you do care.
Neill,

I have enjoyed your posts since joining this forum. Most of the time I have been in agreement with you on various issues. I do visit the Atlanta page most even tho I currently reside in TX due to complications from a divorce that I did not seek and I want to be near my children. One day I will return to Georgia, so the goings on of my home state are still of importance to me.

I do not understand your attitude toward me on this thread. I have stated very clearly my desire for a day off that is held in tandem by all Americans one day a week and do not have the slightest care whether you choose to observe it religiously or not. My Christian life is a 24/7 experience, I don't need Sunday to be a Christian.

I am not a tea totaller but I don't regularly consume alcohol so that is not my issue. I have consumed alcohol on a Sunday. Jesus' first public miracle was turning water into wine at wedding celebration, so my idea of biblically based Christianity is not up in arms about alcohol consumption.

My issue is that the anti Christian mindset that twists the intent of the founding fathers to abolish anything that has a Christian root in our society is damaging to the whole of our country. You have been given freedom to express your religious or non religious expression in whatever way you choose. That is what set America apart from Europe as the founding fathers gave people like you who claim atheism a right to abide and live and prosper in this country without governmental threats on your well being. The Europe that our forefathers came from did not have this type of freedom for all.

However, the founding fathers were Christian by and large. The society was Christian by and large. Sunday as the main day of worship for most Christians (Adventists aside) was set apart by blue laws for the Christian majority. The benefit for those not worshipping that day was a day off to do as they please. Show me one example of government forcing someone of a non religious persuasion to worship at any point in our history. I am sure there are examples of society at large putting pressure on individuals somewhere in our past, but show me the federal or state government punishing someone who did not attend church.

My personal gripe with the continual eroding of blue laws was stated in an earlier post. I am at an age and because of my divorce in a place where my employment options have been limited. I have found moderate success in automobile sales. Thankfully, here in Texas, there is a remnant of the blue laws still on the books in that automobile dealerships are closed on Sunday. With the nature of the automobile business, if this were not so, we would be required to work Sunday. I am required to work bell to bell every Saturday as it is. If Sunday were not on the laws here, I would be required to work the same on Sundays. Its the nature of the beast.

The only other holidays where my dealership is closed is Thanksgiving day and Chistmas day. If Christmas falls on a Sunday, there is no other day given. The thinking is that so many other business and places of employment are closed that more people are free to come in and make a purchase.

I get to be with my children on weekends by my divorce decree. Because of my Saturday work schedule, I do not get to pick them up until very late on Saturday.

When I see threads like this that attack another vestige of the blue laws, I see the anti Christian crowd like you come with your philosophical arguments that because it has its roots in Christianity, it should be abolished. Then I fear the fed govt and ACLU storming into Texas and demanding that the laws on the books that keeps my dealership closed on Sunday be thrown out and then my dealership requiring me to work bell to bell Saturday and Sunday and then take a Wednesday off.

A previous post-er (who assumed I sold alcohol) said get another job. That is a trite statement to make in an economy like this to anyone. To summarize all I have stated in this thread and say that I am just against anyone drinking alcohol on Sunday because I am a Christian is even more trite and degrading.

I don't give a flip if you buy alcohol on Sunday Neill. If it meant that much to you and I still lived in Marietta I would go stock up on the dang stuff and give you a key to my house and say come in any Sunday while I am at church and get whatever you want to fill your sudden urge that you couldn't plan for one day earlier.

From other posts I have read of yours I am surprised at the lack of class and thought with which you have responded to me here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top