U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 01:09 PM

86 posts, read 189,746 times

Advertisements

My family and I (husband, 14 yr-old, and 20 month-old) live in Waltham, MA. We recently had to sell our house, because the cost of living here is just too out of our reach. We have been researching places to relocate to for MONTHS! We narrowed our search down to NC or SC, however, they are suffering from such high unemployment rates, that we would like to lern more about GA. I used to be a teacher, but resigned, after having the baby. My husband is a welder. Also, since I do not work, we are only approved to buy a home for around $100K. That would work in the Carolinas, what about in GA? My family is diverse and I want to make sure we are accepted, especially with a teen. I appreciate any help you could give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 02:36 PM

880 posts, read 2,581,345 times
Actually, GA's unemployment rate is just as high as NC's if not higher. Might not have the easiest time finding a job here.

Old 02-19-2009, 04:39 PM

239 posts, read 798,020 times
Unemployment Rates for States

Honestly, since you're a teacher and most states have a teacher shortage, it may be easier for you to find a job versus your husband. Welding is a speciality and I'm not sure it's a field that he can easily find employment in somewhere else. What kind of welding does he do? Have you thought about reversing roles (you trying to find a job teaching in whatever state you want to move to and him staying home with the kids until he can find something and you guys get settled)?

If you're looking for diversity, you'll want to stay around the more populated cities, Atlanta, Augusta, Savannah. You can get a home in the 100K in Georgia but that depends on the area. Unless you can find a really good deal on a foreclosure, you may not be able to find a home in the neighborhood you want in that price range.

Old 02-20-2009, 09:50 AM

86 posts, read 189,746 times
The link for the unemployment rates was great to see. I honestly never thought about going back to teaching, and having my husband stay home. That may just be what we will have to do. My husband does mig, tig, and arc welding. He has worked on structural projects, as well as, in shops. He would be in heaven if he could some day land a job working on cars/motorcyles! Thank you both for your help and we will keep plugging away to try to make our move happen.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:29 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,350,909 times
You're going to have a tough time finding a teaching position in GA- most areas are either not hiring, are only hiring a fraction of what they hired in previous years, or are actually cutting back. Your budget for housing will be a challenge if you're planning to buy, though for what a $100k mortgage would cost, you could rent something fairly decent in many places. Your housing dollars may go further in some of the smaller communities as opposed to in/near Atlanta, but job opportunities will be fewer as well.

My advice would be not to make the move without knowing where you'll be working.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:35 PM

440 posts, read 1,553,245 times
Look in North Carolina.. not as hot and alot better place to live!

Old 02-23-2009, 04:30 AM

969 posts, read 2,656,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
Look in North Carolina.. not as hot and alot better place to live!
^ Troll.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:11 PM

2,708 posts, read 3,447,983 times
Won't find a house in a decent area around Atlanta or Savannah for that price. Check Columbus, Rome or Athens.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:04 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,410,939 times
Athens is nice and rents are cheap. Lagrange area just a got a Kia plant so there may be some welding jobs down that way. Main thing is to find work first or be confident you can get work before making the move. Sure realestate is less expensive here, but finding jobs wont be any easier, and without a decent income.. cheap realestate prices don't mean much.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:53 AM

18 posts, read 26,619 times
Our fear would be to end up in the same situation that we are in, up here in MA. I think it is definitely worth us researching Athens. Are there major cities in the area that you would suggest we focus on for our job search? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia