Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Safest town..Athens,Valdosta or Hahira?
Athens? 4 44.44%
Valdosta? 2 22.22%
Hahira? 3 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:03 PM

12 posts, read 11,219 times

Advertisements

My husband, our basset hound and I are wanting to move from freezing (but beautiful) western Pennsylvania. We are going to be visiting these three areas in a month and wondered which place is better for a middle aged couple who are retired, we like the arts and fun things to do. We do not like big city living. What is the weather like? Crime? Friendly people? Are there any areas in these three towns to stay away from that have high crime? Confused, please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 12:09 PM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
There is little difference between Hahira and Valdosta...the former is really just part of the latter's metro area.
Atlhough Valdosta can hold pleasant surprises for a newcomer, I would choose Athens. It's charming and urbane, and with the presence of UGA there is a good share of culture. And if you want some big city life once in a while, Atlanta is only one hour away.
You will find marginal neighborhoods in any small city. I wouldn't too much about crime in any of these cities, however.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:11 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,240,699 times
plenty of culture in valdosta also LD. we've got one of dem der collages too.

there are several art gallerys, the valdosta symphony orchestra, and so forth.

and its only an hour drive for me to tallahasse, and two hours to jacksonville.

i would pick valdosta, but i'm biased.

daisy, or anyone else interested, go to this website >>>>> Triple Crown Hometowns Retirement Partnership for Lowndes, Brooks and Lanier Counties in South Georgia

under the "plan your visit" tab, there is a link where you can have someone meet you to take you on a tour of the area. they'd be glad to show you around.

Old 02-28-2009, 08:50 AM

Thank you for your quick responses! All three towns sound wonderful! Thank you for the link southgeorgia, it has a lot of good info.

Old 02-28-2009, 09:07 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,984,180 times
Athens. It's such a charming town and only an hour away from Atlanta.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:44 PM

199 posts, read 627,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Athens. only an hour away from Atlanta.
and that is a plus????

Old 02-28-2009, 02:27 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
I suggest u do a search on this site if you haven't already concerning Athens. Trust me, we have plenty of problems. It is NOT paradise. It is liveable but it isn't perfect. Our jobless rate continues to increase and so is our crime. Over 25 percent of our population is in the poverty level and we have a LOT of public housing which are hotbeds of criminal activity. I feel sorry for the folks who live in those places but have no other choice. Our high school dropout rate usually exceeds 50% but not sure what the current numbers are. Georgia ranks low on many of the important social issues. I would be very careful about where you decide to buy and live. In this economy, you might find yourself stuck where you do buy.
I do not know anything about Valdosta, but I would give it a close look. Its proximity to the capital of Florida might be a very good thing. Going to Atlanta for anything is a day's work and stressful. A trip to the Atlanta Airport is a grinding trip of some 80 miles. I wish you well.

Old 02-28-2009, 03:58 PM

Thank you Ollie for your input. My husband and I are retired, so we wouldn't have to worry about employment, I agree with you about Atlanta, the traffic is horrific!
Freezing beautiful Pennsylvania is starting to sound good again. So Confused!

Old 02-28-2009, 04:02 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,615 times
I live in Athens.. well right outside of it and it is really a nice place. We have an acre of land and a beautiful home and pay only 1700 in taxes. I was paying 5,000 in Illinois for a home that was just a ranch.. Athens is your best bet!!!!!!..

Old 02-28-2009, 04:20 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
Daisy, I lived in PA twice. Once at Carlisle and the other in West Chester. Personally, I think PA is one of the nicest places to live in the USA. Since you are retired, why not look into spending winters in Florida? Rent a condo one season around Tampa area and see what you think. Or, buy an RV (great prices now) and winter in FL, TX or AZ. PA is hard to beat in Autumn and Spring in my opinion.

BTW, we are still in drought here in Athens area though we are getting a bit of rain which is helping. Still a long way to go.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia