Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2006, 09:58 PM

66 posts, read 285,353 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide me with information on athens? is it a nice place to live, the areas of town to stay away from? Crime levels?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2006, 03:47 PM

137 posts, read 737,547 times
Athens rocks! It is a great place. My favorite in GA. Schools are okay, crime is not great, but it is very progressive, cheap, and has lots to do. What kind of area meets your needs? What are you looking for? There are a couple of low income areas where crime is higher, but the rest of the town doesn't have much crime.

Old 06-28-2006, 08:52 PM

I am looking for a downtown that has nice resturants, plays, interesting events. I would like a nice neighborhood with about a half an acre to an acre of land. I don't mind living a little bit out of the city limits. A good job with a low commute. I will be graduating from law school in a little while and I hear its kind of hard to get a job in the area.

how bad is the crime there? Is it the type of downtown that your not concerned to walk downtown at night?

OH - and thank you for replying.... I was wondering if anyone from athens was on here. = )

Last edited by Marka; 06-29-2006 at 02:03 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 06-29-2006, 08:59 PM

137 posts, read 737,547 times
Downtown Athens has a lot going on. There is a lot of great dining, nice shopping, a local play house, concerts galor, and many, many festivals of every kind throughout the year. There is always something happening here. The downtown is pretty safe. You can definetly walk around at night downtown. There are tons of people going here and there. Plus, the police watch the area well. The areas of crime are not extremely close to the downtown area, although (like any downtown, crime does happen). I'm not really sure about the job market in or around Athens in that field. In generally a lot of students don't want to leave Athens after graduating, so the job markets do tend to be a bit flooded. Atlanta, of course, is close by and many then move there or to other cities. I'm also not very sure about lot sizes with homes. There are a lot of different options to choose from. Many subdivisions have smaller lots, but there are a great deal of neighborhoods that have larger ones as well. I'm sure you will be able to find something that fits your needs. Unfortunately, I don't know of a great realtor in that area.

Good Luck!

Old 06-30-2006, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it. I will have to check it out soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia