U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 12:45 PM

13 posts, read 62,484 times

Advertisements

My husband and I lived in Cherokee county for 10 years (Towne Lake and then Canton) before moving back to upstate N.Y. where we are originally from. We are planning on moving back to GA hopefully this summer because we REALLY miss it and we have a 6-year-old son who was born there and feel it's definitely where we want to raise him.

I am hoping I can get some input on the Cherokee county elementary schools. We have been gone for 3 years and I feel like I am out of the loop now. I have checked out greatschools.com and Sixes Road seems to have great reviews across the board. It would be great to get some up-to-date opinions from Cherokee county parents as to which public schools are the better ones and which to maybe stay clear of. Commute times are not a huge issue for us (because of husbands schedule) and we are fully aware of the traffic situation since we had moved to GA in 1996 and experienced the growth firsthand (I commuted from Woodstock to Lithia Springs for work and still prefer grid-lock traffic over 5-6 months of bitter cold & gray winters).

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! We can't wait to get back down there, I miss the sunshine and the people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 12:51 PM

9,124 posts, read 33,358,856 times
Most of the schools in Cherokee County rate very well- the only ones that tend to do poorly are Hasty Elementary and Teasley Middle, and that's likely due to their proximity to the large hispanic population near downtown (I won't say "illegal population" because I don't have proof of that, but you can draw your own conclusions).

My daughters go to Holly Springs Elementary, and we (and they) couldn't be happier. We moved down fron NJ two years ago, and were somewhat concerned about the schools, given the often-told stories of how "the schools in the south are horrible compared to the northeast"- nothing could be further from the truth in our case. My older daughter went through Kindergarten in NJ, while her sister is in the Kindergarten program here, and she's learning far more than the NJ program taught. They're both doing great, and seem to be at least on par with what their cousins in NJ are learning, if not ahead.

Old 03-03-2009, 04:04 PM

Default Cherokee GA Schools

Thanks Bob, you seem to be one of the most helpful posters, as I have read many of your past posts. I agree with you concerning northern vs. southern schools. I know many people in GA who received a wonderful education including my sister-in-law who graduated from Sequoia and went on to Kennesaw University. She is now a top-notch pediatric nurse.

We had relatives in Holly Springs area off Univeter Rd. It's a nice area, very peaceful, or at least it was when we were still there! We actually lived off HWY 20 in Canton before we moved back north

Old 03-04-2009, 04:40 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,358,856 times
It's still a pretty rural area up along Univeter, and I believe a good part of that area goes to Holly Springs Elementary. If you're looking more for a development, rather than something with acreage, Harmony on the Lakes is still building, and there are some really great deals in there.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 AM

2 posts, read 16,851 times
As a parent of 2 children at the new Avery Elementary school (open now for it's 2nd year) until Dr. Toop is gone from that school there is nothing positive that I can say about that school. She runs the school as an "institution" as in prison - mental ward or whatever other word you care to use. She does not care one bit about students or parents. You CAN NEVER REACH her on the phone to discuss issues or concerns. If you read another area here you can find specific parent comments about Avery and the problems that 90% of the parents had with a certain 1st grade teacher last year who is still teaching!!!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:53 AM

2 posts, read 16,851 times
I have dealt personally with Hickory Flat Elementary school as a volunteer and as an advocate for a child that goes there - Dr. Ingram has turned that school around! It's always sunny, bright, cheerful and exciting to walk the halls see students, teachers and activities that are happening. The teachers really care about the students and will stop you in the hall if they see you and make comments good/bad about your child - even if you're just there to pick up your child and not looking to talk! And you can ALWAYS talk to Dr. Ingram or the 2 assistant principals or counselors ANYTIME you want! They will stop what they are doing to help you out even for minor questions/comments. I highly recommend Hickory Flat Elementary, Dean Rusk Middle, and Seyquoah High to you!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 AM

247 posts, read 1,189,030 times
I think that Sixes Elem is the best (of course I'm partial to it, my kids go there!) But I really do. They are always ranked the one of the highest in the county and the entire state. It's an amazing school that always has something going on.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJtmg2099 View Post
As a parent of 2 children at the new Avery Elementary school (open now for it's 2nd year) until Dr. Toop is gone from that school there is nothing positive that I can say about that school. She runs the school as an "institution" as in prison - mental ward or whatever other word you care to use. She does not care one bit about students or parents. You CAN NEVER REACH her on the phone to discuss issues or concerns. If you read another area here you can find specific parent comments about Avery and the problems that 90% of the parents had with a certain 1st grade teacher last year who is still teaching!!!
Oh that doesn't sound good at all! Where exactly is Avery Elementary? I definitely want a school where you feel like there is more of an open door policy and the faculty genuinely likes and wants parental involvement. My son's current teacher always has parents dropping in to help out or just visit which she always encourages. I will check out the other comments on Avery like you suggested. Thank you all so much for your input! I can say I have heard nothing negative about Sixes. Anyone out there feel differently?

Old 03-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJtmg2099 View Post
I have dealt personally with Hickory Flat Elementary school as a volunteer and as an advocate for a child that goes there - Dr. Ingram has turned that school around! It's always sunny, bright, cheerful and exciting to walk the halls see students, teachers and activities that are happening. The teachers really care about the students and will stop you in the hall if they see you and make comments good/bad about your child - even if you're just there to pick up your child and not looking to talk! And you can ALWAYS talk to Dr. Ingram or the 2 assistant principals or counselors ANYTIME you want! They will stop what they are doing to help you out even for minor questions/comments. I highly recommend Hickory Flat Elementary, Dean Rusk Middle, and Seyquoah High to you!
Thank you for your response. It's always such a daunting process making a move when you have school age children. Hickory Flat sounds pretty similar to my son's current school as far as being welcoming and there to help you whenever you need a question answered or have any type of concern. I also think you can tell a lot about a school just by visiting it during the school year and by the way you describe it, it sounds like it's a very positive learning environment. My sister-in-law was a straight- A student at Seyquoah and never had any problems while she was there. Thanks again!

Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf73 View Post
I think that Sixes Elem is the best (of course I'm partial to it, my kids go there!) But I really do. They are always ranked the one of the highest in the county and the entire state. It's an amazing school that always has something going on.
I do keep hearing great things about Sixes (haven't heard anything negative yet). It's great getting the parents input, thanks so much! When we lived in GA quite a few of the schools were either at capacity or busting at the seems. How is Sixes concerning this? And what about the teacher/child ratio? My son has 23 kids in his class now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or