U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 03:52 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,951,449 times

Advertisements

the only issues we are allowed to vote on now is gay rights and alcohol sales, which concidentally are also tied with gay rights (you know what im getting at, and if you dont, good. you are lucky)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 08:57 AM

7,862 posts, read 15,230,535 times
Whether or not it was or wasn't legal for the states to secede, it certainly wasn't legal to attack Ft Sumter. I think that Constitutional scholars can debate the legality of southern secession and come to different conclusions. I'm not a lawyer or law professor.

I agree that "states rights" was a huge part of the disagreement with the Feds, but slavery and the economic impacts to the southern states was the root of much of the underlying issue, as was the fundamental difference in the southern and northern economies. The election of 1860 brought much of this to the forefront and touched off the crisis.

To bring it all back to the original topic of the GA state flag. I'll stick by what I said earlier, and that's that the flag that was introduced in the 1950s with racist motives, and its being removed is a good thing.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:02 PM

2,708 posts, read 3,449,010 times
Quote:
To bring it all back to the original topic of the GA state flag. I'll stick by what I said earlier, and that's that the flag that was introduced in the 1950s with racist motives, and its being removed is a good thing.[/
Agreed.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:54 PM

295 posts, read 277,278 times
Default 56 Georgia flag

Actually, the new flag is the national flag of the Confederacy and will be flown forever and Georgia dedicated April as CONFEDERATE HISTORY MONTH, so I think we can live with it....but don't ever be surprise or "FOOLED" by those politicians either.
As quick as they legislate law, they can overturn it!!!

Many Black Americans have suffered at the hand of RACISM and its ugly face but funny thing is, in the old south I can never recall seeing many Confederate flags, but if people think it hurts someone, they fly it, I fly it for my for fallen anscestors and that's it!

The Nazi German issue is worlds apart with the Swastika!

Mississippis' state flag on the other hand was adopted on feb.7th,1894 and should have never been the focus of controversy, since civil-rights was never an issue in America.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:20 AM

44 posts, read 43,032 times
If I was seriously offended by the Confederate flag ( which I am not even offended in the slightest) I would find the current state flag more offensive then the one with the Confederate battle flag, which was never an official flag of the Confederacy. I don't know if many other transplants (especially in the Atlanta area, from a few which I know stated that the Georgia flag back then made Georgia look backwards, redneck, and racist etc.) but the Georgia state flag is still indeed a Confederate flag and the official flag of the Confederate States as well.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:46 PM

295 posts, read 277,278 times
I think what bothers most is not the flag itself but the title,BATTLE FLAG', which most use or try to use as a Battle for the WHITE RACE, which this flag does not represent!

The new Georgia flag is fine, it is indeed more representive of the CONFEDERACY, and has let Georgia declare April, Confederate History Month!

What bothers me is, why Black History Month and not AFRICAN HISTORY MONTH?
Africa is indeed a beautiful continent with some of the greatest people on Earth!!!

Old 04-12-2010, 11:15 AM

13 posts, read 31,520 times
I don't believe a popular vote would have displaced the flag of 1957. The drive to change it was from Atlanta businesses that percieved that they were losing business from mostly black organizations that would not meet there while Georgia had that state flag.

I am proud of our current flag and believe it to be one all Georgians can be proud of. Racism and discrimination don't have a place here, and I am glad they are now out of favor here. We have enough problems to contend with without those also.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:31 PM

7,862 posts, read 15,230,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars&bars View Post
The new Georgia flag is fine, it is indeed more representive of the CONFEDERACY, and has let Georgia declare April, Confederate History Month!
Why can't we put the failed experiment of the Confederacy behind us? Go ahead and remember it, and remember the fallen soldiers who gave their lives for it, but let's resign it to the small place within the context of civil war history that it deserves. It was a four year long armed rebellion against the United States that failed. Let's remember it for that and not for any false glory.

What is really at odds here is the aftermath of the civil war. The racism and segregation, and the segregationist politics of the 1950s in reaction to Brown v Board of Ed and the changing times were the drivers behind the change of the flag in 1956. We need to repudiate what that flag stood for, and it has nothing to do with it being a "battle flag" or even directly its association to the Confederacy. It has to do with the motives of those who installed it as the state flag in the 1950s....hate and racism.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:15 PM

316 posts, read 575,734 times
Not to put Mississippi down, but Georgia has to much going on. We do not need to stop and waste time on something as simple as a Flag. We need to be more focused on how we can make our state better so that we can stay competitive with other states. Some people still today view the South as races. If the flag would have been changed that would have placed a dent into the funds that we receive from tourism.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:12 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,798,751 times
I have heard some of my neighbors complain about their "heritage" being threatened whenever the old flag debate comes up, but I have asked them this question and as of yet they always immediately change the subject or steer away from it as opposed to directly answer a simple question....

Question: What's wrong with THIS flag....?

By my understanding, this was the first flag that Georgia used to symbolize their part of the "Confederate States". I would think then, that when discussing heritage, that this flag would be the one people would want to revert to, because those who are really into their history of wanting to be their own country, heritage, etc, would I would think, see this flag as what that thought process represented. This is the flag before the change that turned it into the Civil War battle version, predating that one. Actually, the newest one is very close to it but from what I've heard, many opposed the newest one as well.

History (source, GA Secretary of State's office site (http://www.sos.ga.gov/archives/museum/html/flag_1861-1863.htm - broken link))

I'm from West Virginia. The flag that our state came up with the moment it became an official state is the same flag we've had since that date. We didn't change it every few years. It's never had any major changes to it since day-1. So I always get confused when I hear the "heritage" argument because to date Georgia has had what... 6 flags? 7 or 8? I lost count at TWELVE (http://www.sos.ga.gov/archives/museum/html/georgia_flag_history.html - broken link), actually. I would think the FIRST flag that represented what the locals wanted to see as their Independence would be what folks would want to symbolize, right (?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia