U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:13 PM

36 posts, read 112,480 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am california born and raised and know nothing about Georgia! But I'd like to

Ok this will sound stupid but does Georgia have mountainous or real hilly areas? what about that area called gainseville, there seems on a map to be a big lake there.

What is the cost of living like? I am renting right now, what might a small house rent for in that area?

what is lawrenceville and athens like?

are there any west coast transplants to Georgia on this forum? how did you like it? I am also an adoptive mom (white) of a black child, so this is definitely on my mind too, with regard to movin to the south.

I'm just poking around right now. Just curious.

steph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 09:21 PM

2,708 posts, read 3,477,136 times
Cost of living will be much lower. I've never been to California, but from what I know of it, the pace of living will be slower here too. Gainesville is an okay little city, but Lanier (the lake) is the largest in the state. Gainesville is also close to some pretty mountainous areas to the north. The north quarter of the state is very mountainous, and claims the largest wilderness area east of the Mississippi River(Cohutta Wilderness). Race relations in Georgia are nothing like what you might think. Mixed race relationships or families are pretty commonplace, and we live perhaps more harmoniously here than in alot of other states. I know I don't have any problem with it, nor does anyone I know. I'm from the Northwest part of the state, but I think we are pretty much regarded as one of the most rural parts of North Georgia. Our economy is in kinda rough shape right now, so you may want to have your income source well known before you consider a move. Feel free to contact with any more questions.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:08 PM

so give me an example of what a small house might be in rent? is it nice living near that big lake? i surely don't live in LA or anything so i am not interested in the fast paced life, it's just me an my daughter, i just want her in a good school, doing girl scouts, i don't want any problems with our being an interracial family, i mean i sound like georgia is mars or something LOL but i have never even been to the east coast, much less the south.

i have some adoption friends who have kids from my daughter's orphanage, and it would be so neat to live near them. one is in lawrenceville and one near athens.

is it nice there?

steph

Old 03-07-2009, 10:14 PM

I like Athens alot. College town, so the downtown is pretty "vibrant" to say the least. You can rent a house in most of the smaller cities in Georgia from between 600-1000 per month. Don't know about the schools in that area, but I do know that schools in Rome, Georgia were the best in the state last year. From what I hear, Georgia schools can be either some of the best in the nation, or the worst, depending on where you are. An internet site would be the best way to find out. Just google the school system you are interested in and that should have alot to do with the nieghborhood you choose.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:38 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,456,170 times
i don't really know anything about the area you're questioning, but i'll share a brief story.

a friend of mine who grew up in south georgia moved to california. he told me it was the greatest place he'd ever been. i asked him if everyone was crazy, or did he just 'fit in'.

he said he just 'fits in' out there.

so if that's you, staying might be a reality for you.

i happen to think georgia is awesome, and you should come out and check it for yourself.

we kick it like tae bo.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:02 PM

i like what i read about athens. college town, diverse....

are there some nice little areas on the periphery of athens where one might have an acre or so?

forgive my ignorance...but when they say 'cost of living" is less, does that mean everythign one needs in life....cable bill, electricity, water, food, gas, clothing....it's all a little cheaper there than say here in Cali?

steph

Old 03-07-2009, 11:14 PM

You can pretty much be sure that amenities will be cheaper in general.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:19 PM

Like how much for a venti starbucks latte? LOL

Old 03-07-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapaholics View Post
Like how much for a venti starbucks latte? LOL
Don't get greedy! 4 bucks.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:39 PM

oh hum. that 's about the same LOL. maybe 30 cents cheaper?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or