U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 05:27 PM

87 posts, read 277,816 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I'll make this quick, I'm looking to relocate from the mountains of NE Alabama. I've got four places I'm thinking about, and southeastern Georgia is one of them. Brantley County, specifically, i.e. around Hoboken, GA.

I'm allergic to flying, stinging critters - like hornets, bees, wasps, yellowjackets, etc. - as in if I get stung and don't have an Epi-Pen to jamb into my leg, I'm going to meet Jesus.

I know it might sound trivial to some, but this is a big deal for me, so before I pick up and invest all my savings in moving, I want to make sure I'm not moving out of the frying pan and into the fire (we have a serious red wasp problem in this area, as in, dozens if not hundreds of them doing dive-bomb attacks as you walk from your house to your car, or step out on your front porch).

So- do you folks down in southeast Georgia have tons of flying stinging things coming out now that the weather is warm? I know that there are wasps and hornets everywhere, all 50 states, but it seems a WHOLE lot worse here than in much of the rest of the country, like North Carolina where I grew up.

Thanks for any input you can provide!

-----
P.S. - and while I'm at it, I might as well ask, is there anything else that people routinely are killed by while out in their backyards, i.e. large populations of venomous snakes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 09:17 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,406,480 times
yes there are a lot of bees, wasps, yellow jackets, etc. . .

as for "killer", or africanized, bees, I don't think they've reached Georgia yet.

I know your situation to some extent as I'm alergic to all of these as well; thankfully I won't die unless I get stung repeatedly.

Avoiding a sting isn't too much a problem though. I'm sure as someone who is alergic you've learned to be cautious about where you stick your hands and face. I've only been stung twice in the last 10 years, and it was because I drove over an underground hive on an open-cab tractor and didn't see them coming.

they don't seem to attack you for no reason.

If you're alergic to all insects as I am, the only thing you really should worry about is the yellowflies. They leave me with huge swollen bite areas and a mild fever.

As for routine back yard deaths; there's not much too that. There are poisoness snakes here, but again, just be cautious and use a little common sense when you go out. Keep your yards and barns mowed. Don't reach underneath anything without looking first. If in the woods, don't walk through any areas with tall grass (unless you're wearing snake-bite resistant boots). Always keep your eyes towards the ground when you're in the woods. Get familiar with what the venomous snakes look like so they'll be slightly easier to recognize in the woods. These are all habits you'll pick up if you don't already have them.

Old 03-12-2009, 12:12 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,794,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernFarmer View Post
I'm allergic to flying, stinging critters - like hornets, bees, wasps, yellowjackets, etc. - as in if I get stung and don't have an Epi-Pen to jamb into my leg, I'm going to meet Jesus.
I believe Jesus would tell you to make sure you always have an Epi-pen on you, then.

The warmer the climate, the more of a problem you're going to have running into things like that. Africanized bees I think HAVE made their way here, but I don't think there have been any reports of deaths by attack or anything here (yet) though. But yeah, South Georgia through the upper-middle Georgia area have lots of bees nearly all year. Keep in mind that you have allergies to VENOM, so you probably would have a stronger than normal reaction to such things as spider bites and scorpion stings as well (both common critters there).

Your best bet - 4th floor of a high rise condo with closed windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernFarmer View Post
P.S. - and while I'm at it, I might as well ask, is there anything else that people routinely are killed by while out in their backyards, i.e. large populations of venomous snakes?
Venomous snakes do their best to avoid people (as do most snakes), but Georgia has it's fair share of Cotton Mouths and Copperheads, with scatterings of Rattlers and along the coastal areas, Coral Snakes. Thing is, if you have a general allergic reaction to Venoms, even a non-poisonous snakebite might cause complications (as all snakes do have some venom, even if most of them don't kill people). You would just need to train yourself to avoid the "duh" moments some people have (walking in high grass barefoot, reaching under logs without looking first, etc etc etc).

Old 03-12-2009, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Africanized bees I think HAVE made their way here, but I don't think there have been any reports of deaths by attack or anything here (yet) though.
As of the end of 2008, they were not identified in Georgia yet. They have been found in north Florida, but looked to be migrating south.

Traps had been set on the GA/FL border to capture and identify what bees are in the area.

So unless something has changed in the last 3 or 4 months, I don't think they are here.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:07 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,794,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
As of the end of 2008, they were not identified in Georgia yet. They have been found in north Florida, but looked to be migrating south.

Traps had been set on the GA/FL border to capture and identify what bees are in the area.

So unless something has changed in the last 3 or 4 months, I don't think they are here.
Some interesting reading, if anything:

This one says that established colonies were in Florida "last year" (and it was written in 2006). Since it takes a while before they figure out where they have settled if it's in smaller numbers, I suppose it's possible they could have migrated over to South Georgia in the 4 years since: Georgia FACES - 'Killer bees' nearing Georgia (don't panic)

In this article, also written in 2006, the guy says the bees were expected to be in South Georgia "next year" (2007): 'Killer bees' may be headed this way - News (http://media.www.redandblack.com/media/storage/paper871/news/2006/10/05/News/killer.Bees.May.Be.Headed.This.Way-2566852.shtml - broken link)

A few Q&A about it via a State site (says they're not here as of last month, but expected soon according to the answers: Africanized Honey Bee FAQ

Old 03-12-2009, 10:46 PM

That last link has the same information I've read elsewhere.

I had also read they tend to be migrating south out of north florida.

If I remember correctly, the important thing to remember is to not kill an africanized bee (not that you would know which one it is anyhow). I think they emit an odor that beckons all other bees in the area to attack where the odor is coming from.

the best thing to do is just stay away from bees. They've been extremely active in south georgia over the past couple of weeks, and I've noticed increased activity in the past two days (since the temp is staying in the mid-70's to 80).

I spent the day working outside, and a couple kept buzzing around me. Just walk away and come back in a few minutes once they've left the area. the bees will most likely return, but keep up the vacating routine. its better than being stung.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,657 times
Default citychic78

In response to your knowledge of this subject I'm hoping that you might be able to help me.

This afternoon I was outside with my 16 1/2 month old in her bathing suit and water shoes while I was adding water to our koi pond in the back yard. I've seen wasps, yellow jackets, etc before so I was trying to be aware of our surroundings as her and I played with the water while we waited on the pond. I decided that we needed to come inside for a towel and to grab some more of her toys thinking that it would be safe enough for us to play outside for a little bit. When we turned to come inside my daughter walked underneath the side tray of our bbq grill, backed up then started screaming. I was just an inch or so from her resting the hose in the pond to finish filling on it's own so when I looked over at her I was horrified that she was covered in wasps screaming. Natural instinct told me to hose her off then I grabbed her and ran to the house as fast as I could.

Once inside I saw 6 puffy welts on her right arm and shoulder. I was able to calm her quite quickly even though I myself was in a panic not knowing what would be best to make sure that I handled the stings properly. I called my neighbor and told her to please come over quickly. She helped me to get some Tylenol into her and put some Benadryl ointment on her stings. My daughter fortunately was okay after that being her usual smiley active self.

About two hours after it happened my neighbors husband came over to get rid of the hive for me along with some other ones that I had spotted. He walked our property along the fence line and sprayed down another 5 or 6 hives that were on the fence and behind the fence posts in addition to the one that got my daughter and the ones that I had seen. I told him that I would of never expected to see a hive in the far left corner of the tray on the bbq grill, he agreed but I now see they will house where they want to.

My concerns are legitimate. I am limited to the amount of sun I can be in and should really not be in any but when you have a little one you can't keep them in all the time. I also have limits to my physical movements due to metal in my spine and having to deal with fatal chronic pain daily. Today God must have carried us, typically I could only dream to move as fast as I did today. My daughter loves to be outside and I don't mind being out there for periodic brusts throughout the day so I have gotten several water toys for her to play with this summer and had planned on using them in our back yard, i.e. a slip and slide, a pool and a splash mat sprinkler. She has looked forward to using these toys since we bought them. I'm hesitant because I went back out tonight to take a look around to only see a wasp hanging around under the tray in the very same spot that she had walked into their hive.

Please let me know if there is any way that I can get rid of them even if it's only temporary. Has the word changed on the African bees? Is all year bee season in south GA? Also are there any remedies that I should be aware of for possible future treatment? For some reason today I had baking soda and water in my head to remove stingers.

I guess that's all. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
yes there are a lot of bees, wasps, yellow jackets, etc. . .

as for "killer", or africanized, bees, I don't think they've reached Georgia yet.

I know your situation to some extent as I'm alergic to all of these as well; thankfully I won't die unless I get stung repeatedly.

Avoiding a sting isn't too much a problem though. I'm sure as someone who is alergic you've learned to be cautious about where you stick your hands and face. I've only been stung twice in the last 10 years, and it was because I drove over an underground hive on an open-cab tractor and didn't see them coming.

they don't seem to attack you for no reason.

If you're alergic to all insects as I am, the only thing you really should worry about is the yellowflies. They leave me with huge swollen bite areas and a mild fever.

As for routine back yard deaths; there's not much too that. There are poisoness snakes here, but again, just be cautious and use a little common sense when you go out. Keep your yards and barns mowed. Don't reach underneath anything without looking first. If in the woods, don't walk through any areas with tall grass (unless you're wearing snake-bite resistant boots). Always keep your eyes towards the ground when you're in the woods. Get familiar with what the venomous snakes look like so they'll be slightly easier to recognize in the woods. These are all habits you'll pick up if you don't already have them.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:00 AM

102 posts, read 336,073 times
Hey! I'm fifty or so miles from Brantley County. And yes we have all those "great" little creatures. A few years back, as I recall there was a swarm of bees that came through my county (Atkinson), there was a few 911 calls; the bees got in some folks homes. No one was hurt/killed. Here (Atkinson County) specifically haven't heard of any deaths or serious bites, nothing anaphalatic, (snakes, bees, wasps, etc.); have had more dog bites! But they still do bite, definitely keep your Epi-Pen!!

Well if you have any other specific questions, holler!

Old 06-28-2009, 11:52 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,171,840 times
if you MUST move to this part of GA, then spend the money and have a lanai installed which can be large enough to contain a pool. if not a pool, it can be large enough to have an outdoor life with good protection from varmints of all species. otherwise, don't move there. the high rise condo idea has merit as allergic as you are. all the best.

Old 06-28-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
[b]if you MUST move to this part of GA, then spend the money and have a lanai installed . . . otherwise, don't move there.
There or here? Where?

Having a lanai is not necessary. That's not good advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia