Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 07:52 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Don't even bother trying to make sense to NewtownMacon.
Well it oblivious he is not the only one that feels this way because most of rural Ga feels that way including the local legislature..... So maybe to guys are the ones who are stuck on stupid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 07:54 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No. We have been sitting on almost $100 million of Federal $$$ for several years now. This FEDERAL money has been earmarked to start the Lovejoy/Griffin/Macon commuter rail line. Sonny-Bubba has been sitting on this money, refusing to budge or authorize the start-up of the line.

And I guess you are now just simply ignoring the previous posts, because you continue to insist "most of the money is always invested in metro Atlanta." Wrong again. We contribute way more to the State than receive in return.

It would seem that your solution to the congestion problems of the cash register for the State (Atlanta) would be to "punish" Atlanta for her success, and BY LAW redirect all new PRIVATE investment to the second-tier cities of Georgia.

Wow. Just, wow.
Not to mention the state has spent billions on these four lane highways out in the middle of no where.. I believe the project was called GRIP.. georgia road improvement program.. it started back in the 80s and its aim was to jumpstart economic development in rural Georgia and the second tier cities by building all of these four lane divided highways. You can travel down these roads and count many times two cars in 5 minutes...and they have failed to bring the economic prosperity promised. And still Atlanta cannot get a commuter rail lane to the northeast through gwinnett and to Athens, where it is most needed.. instead the state lawmakers and the governor keep puship the Lovejoy line, which makes very little sense... the Athens line would have the greatest ridership... but since Sonny is from middle georgia.. he is pushing the line that will go to Macon.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
Not to mention the state has spent billions on these four lane highways out in the middle of no where.. I believe the project was called GRIP.. georgia road improvement program.. it started back in the 80s and its aim was to jumpstart economic development in rural Georgia and the second tier cities by building all of these four lane divided highways. You can travel down these roads and count many times two cars in 5 minutes...and they have failed to bring the economic prosperity promised. And still Atlanta cannot get a commuter rail lane to the northeast through gwinnett and to Athens, where it is most needed.. instead the state lawmakers and the governor keep puship the Lovejoy line, which makes very little sense... the Athens line would have the greatest ridership... but since Sonny is from middle georgia.. he is pushing the line that will go to Macon.

That right bringing it to Macon where it would get more ridership than Athens....What make you think Athens would be more of a concern than Macon when Macon and Warner Robins both are larger. and don't though athen has more people than Macon because a dummy knows that proper city of Athens is not larger that Macon or Warner Robins, with consolidation makes Athens which is a city of less 50,000 seem to be 100,000.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:12 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
Well it oblivious he is not the only one that feels this way because most of rural Ga feels that way including the local legislature..... So maybe to guys are the ones who are stuck on stupid
He's the one who said there was a Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus in Shreveport.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:15 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
Huh?

Let me see if I can translate this gibberish.

You both feel this way, so therefore our largely idiot Legislature is entitled to also feel this way? I would guess that neither one of you can even name one single elected Legislator from your districts, or that you even vote.

Dude, it's called pandering - to the lowest common denominator. Get a clue and educate yourself that the "Let's bash Atlanta, but still take her money" argument may play well where you live, but it is ripping the State apart.

Those of us that live here and pay attention to things are finally getting fed up with this tired, old crap.

It is doing more damage to ALL OF US more than you can imagine.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:21 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
Great post lilmusket, and I agree.

The Governor only started supporting the Lovejoy line late last year, in the wake of the statewide business communities' backlash from last years abismal Legislative session.

The "Brain Train" to Athens is a no-brainer, and the ridership will most certainly blow the Lovejoy/Macon line out of the water. I believe we need both, but if push comes to shove - Athens should come first.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:24 PM

841 posts, read 1,402,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
He's the one who said there was a Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus in Shreveport.
I guess we all are stuck on stupid.....

Old 03-16-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Huh?

Let me see if I can translate this gibberish.

You both feel this way, so therefore our largely idiot Legislature is entitled to also feel this way? I would guess that neither one of you can even name one single elected Legislator from your districts, or that you even vote.

Dude, it's called pandering - to the lowest common denominator. Get a clue and educate yourself that the "Let's bash Atlanta, but still take her money" argument may play well where you live, but it is ripping the State apart.

Those of us that live here and pay attention to things are finally getting fed up with this tired, old crap.

It is doing more damage to ALL OF US more than you can imagine.

We are tearing the state apart we are all fight to take our share of ga's wealth......Atlanta against the rest of GA...

Old 03-16-2009, 08:27 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
I guess we all are stuck on stupid.....
This is what we get for living in the south.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Great post lilmusket, and I agree.

The Governor only started supporting the Lovejoy line late last year, in the wake of the statewide business communities' backlash from last years abismal Legislative session.

The "Brain Train" to Athens is a no-brainer, and the ridership will most certainly blow the Lovejoy/Macon line out of the water. I believe we need both, but if push comes to shove - Athens should come first.

Athens..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia