U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2006, 10:35 AM

12 posts, read 54,824 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My husband and myself are considering pulling up roots from Baltimore, MD and relocating to the Atlanta, GA area. I would like to build or purchase a new or nearly new home. Housing prices have gone through the roof here!

While researching, I have developed a real interest in the Lithonia and Stone Mountain areas. However, with all the discussion of the traffic nightmare that awaits us, I am shaking in my boots a little bit!

Is it feasible to take some kind of back road or public transportion from these areas and travel into downtown Atlanta? My husband wishes to work for the goverment and I would assume that most of these jobs would be located downtown.

I've never been to these areas, so I am at the mercy of the internet to do most of my preliminary research. I plan to actually visit sometime in July.

Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2006, 04:38 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,932,074 times
There are back roads but they aren't going to get you intown any quicker. MARTA rail lines go out as far as 285, just south of Memorial Drive. The MARTA bus system serves all of DeKalb County and hook up with the rail system but it will depend on where you are as to whether this is convenient for you. My suggestion is to come rent for a while and then buy.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 13,304 times
I was born and raised in Atlanta. I recently moved from Lithonia to Locust Grove. I-20 (the major expressway coming in and out of Lithonia) is one of the most congested expressways in Atlanta. I loved Lithonia but Locust Grove is just as convenient to downtown. I work downtown and it takes me less time now to get to work than it did when I was in Lithonia. You may want to consider some of the cities on the outskirts of town (Stockbridge, McDonough, Morrow etc......)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia