U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 02:56 PM

8 posts, read 68,537 times

Advertisements

Where would you say would be the best area to move to, to be near the gay community near atlanta? Preferably looking for a modest ranch style single-level condo or single level one family home in a community with a pool and clubhouse but its not mandatory.
any help is appreciated.... thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2006, 04:45 PM

1,088 posts, read 5,927,180 times
You are going to want to be near midtown. I would suggest condo communities in or around midtown. It is going to be difficult to find communities with single family housing intown and with a pool. Plenty of the older neighborhoods had modest single story homes, but no pool or clubhouse.

Old 06-28-2006, 03:39 PM

137 posts, read 683,969 times
Athens is very gay friendly and fairly close to Atlanta.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:16 AM

8 posts, read 68,537 times
thanks for the info. i heard Candler Park and then east to Decatur has lots of women and is quaint. id like to find something around there but im sure its probably more expensive than looking out of town. do you know anything about stone mountain and what its like there? t seems pretty close to town.

Old 06-29-2006, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 18,964 times
Stone Mtn. is nice, 40 years ago it was the home of the Klan, now there is a black mayor! There is a nice but very small dowtoen area, and the genral area is in a downturn. There are very nice older homes on the east side of Atlanta, toward Decatur and a lot more activities than Stone Mountain. The market for houses in that area is 300-400 K, but bargins can be found. (I say that because I am a real estate agent and have worked the area.)

Old 06-29-2006, 09:14 PM

29 posts, read 155,567 times
Hi,
There are many areas of Atlanta that are accepting and open-minded. Even in the burbs and rural areas. Since you are acustomed to NYC I would highly recommend downtown Decatur, still has a quaint feel in the big city.this is an area of pre and post ww2 bungalows and ranches. Also Look in the area of Emory,or Druid Hills. Also little five points,right off Euclid which was adjacent to the first planned neighborhood in Atlanta in the late 1800's, a bohemian area south-east Atlanta also off Moreland Ave.(I love to shop this area) If you don't mind a little elbow grease, there are several neighborhoods off Moreland Ave. being bought by gay couples that families have overlooked because of schools and such. They have been revived back to their original , pocket-sized grandure. The transformations are beautiful. Also a pocket area in downtown behind Oakland cemetary is a neighborhood called cabbagetown. One of the phoenixes out of the ashes of Atlanta's past, This is now a historic area where mill workers for the cotton mill lived in the shot-gun houses.shot gun houses is a term used meaning if you shoot thru the front door, it comes straight out the back door. In the 70's it meant something else ;-) They look like miniature painted ladies,dripping w/ trims.. so cute!!! Artistic home business is mainstream here. the cotton mills are now lofts although there was a major fire not many years back, but I'm sure I remember the developer vowed to rebuild. It may be complete by now. Virginia Highlands and Morningside are Atlanta neighborhoods in the art deco style of the 20's and 30's. There are wonderful restaurants (Murphy's is great) and lots of cool antique stores for window shopping. Areas closer to town are pricey. Although what is pricey here might not be in NYC. What do they say about perception?? Anyway these suggestions are all close to the big city, Don't be afraid to venture to the burbs, when it comes right down to it, Most people mind their own business. There are very few classic southerners left.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:09 PM

43 posts, read 206,079 times
Default kandahudson@yahoo.com Thanks for your insight

kandahudson@yahoo.com, I have been looking for information on the gay friendly neighborhoods that you described. Haven't been able to find much so thanks very much for your input. I will be moving there sometime this fall and have researched Douglasviile, Alpharetta and Marietta. Now I'll look more into the city.

Question though. How are the real estate taxes in those neighborhoods compared to the surburbs on a $200 - $350k home? Are they higher because the properities are in the city? Thanks much!

Old 07-05-2006, 05:41 PM

12 posts, read 66,340 times
Smile Urban vs. burbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolobooks
i heard Candler Park and then east to Decatur has lots of women and is quaint. id like to find something around there but im sure its probably more expensive than looking out of town. do you know anything about stone mountain and what its like there? t seems pretty close to town.
I'd agree with everything the real estate agent told you about Stone Mtn. (except that I can spell the words correctly

I think you're dead on about Candler Park and Decatur, as I would not agree that midtown is for "OLDER" gay WOMEN, although there is a gay book store at 10th and Piedmont, across from Piedmont Park. It's trendy and hip and gazillions of gays, but I think mostly male. Same goes for surrounding areas of Ansley Park, Virginia-Highlands, Morningside Park, and Little 5 points.
Ansley has lots of old and big and expensive homes.
V-H is more small bungelows, lots of housemate situations, houses closer together, old, renovated houses, gay and bohemian yuppies.

M.Park is gays and bohemian yuppies.
L5P is motorcycles, dreadlocks, tattoos, goth, and lots of black clothing or Birkenstocks and patchouli.

Since Candler Park is adjacent to L5P, which is adjacent to midtown and E. Atlanta, and all those areas are densely populated, there's plenty of every type of demographic in them. Decatur (NOT the part south of I-20,though) has more of a rep. of being female gay than male gay, and is not so party and money oriented. (apparently this site doesn't allow the "L" word....? as I used it the first time, but saw that it was blanked out with asterisks)

As for the suburbs, a few years ago, I visited some friends in a particular subd. in Roswell. There were two openly gay female couples in the S/D and one male couple, as well as several single women who were "suspect". The subdivision was called Roswell Farms, but I DON'T recommend living there because there were two senior citizens in the S/D who were caught killing cats in the neighborhood. I hear a neighbor saw them in the act, but she couldn't prove it, and of course, they denied it, saying that what she saw was not him running across the street with her cat in a trap, but him carrying a mail bag.....right...yeah, those look alike.
Even if you don't have cats, the two were purported to be in everybody's business, and constantly complaining about dogs, kids, cars, lawns, you name it.
People need to be euthanized when they get to such a useless and meddling point in their lives.

But, my point is that there are gay couples all over, so you can probably just find a place you like, and settle in just fine.

Last edited by Accountable; 07-05-2006 at 05:44 PM..

Old 07-06-2006, 11:22 AM

43 posts, read 206,079 times
Default Urban vs. burbs

Accountable,

Please, most of us are OOT's (Out-Of-Towners) and are not familiar with the abbreviations of neighborhood names. That said, what is M.Park?

Old 07-06-2006, 12:10 PM

12 posts, read 66,340 times
staylor, if you reread the post, you will see that I have used abbreviations only because I've already spelled out the words in full in the preceding sentences or paragraph. It shouldn't be necessary to spell them out in every single sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or