Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 05:13 PM

138 posts, read 304,998 times

Advertisements

Yes I know there is crime everywhere, we would like an area where we can walk the sidewalks,be close to VA.hospital,we have family in Sylvester an Sav. I am not wanting to go there I am wanting to sit shotgun in my house any infor.would help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 05:23 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
The crime rate in Augusta is lower than the majority of it's peers. There's a strong medical community here including two VA hospitals. Plenty of safe and low crime areas near the VA...

Old 01-24-2011, 12:36 AM

138 posts, read 304,998 times
thank u nortonguy,we will need a church,our young men are twenty one an seventeen uhhh that age,they have been raised right an we want to make sure it stays that way,I don't want to have to be like Madeia,ummm you know how that can be in this day an age,thank you for the info I will keep looking at houses in this area,the VA was the main reason I picked this area.

Old 01-24-2011, 05:23 PM

227 posts, read 494,793 times
Atlanta has had an alarming crime outbreak the last few months or so

Old 01-25-2011, 04:07 PM

8,486 posts, read 14,999,411 times
Georgia is 59,425 square miles

I willing to bet there are one, maybe two, square miles that are safe. Even in scary Atlanta. LOL.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:23 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Georgia is 59,425 square miles

I willing to bet there are one, maybe two, square miles that are safe. Even in scary Atlanta. LOL.

Even the area around the VA on Clairmont Rd is considered by many to be 'pretty safe'. The traffic is terrible but having lived in the area for several decades I don't have many complaints.

We do try to be civilized.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:44 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,760 times
@Jane22 - The neighborhoods around the VA in Atlanta (Briarcliff, Clairmount, N. Druid Hills) have nice homes, some are a bit pricey. The YMCA is just up the road. Emory University and hospitals are in that area and lots of students and families living in that community.

It seems pretty safe whenever I am there but the traffic along Clairmount is extremely congested as with all of metro Atlanta. The VA area is safe with good restaurants and shopping (grocery) nearby Publix, Kroger, etc. There are some churches in the area. It appears to be a religious area as there is a nice Jewish population there. There are a few Baptist churches I have seen. It depends on what kind of church you would like to attend with your family.

Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
@Jane22 - The neighborhoods around the VA in Atlanta (Briarcliff, Clairmount, N. Druid Hills) have nice homes, some are a bit pricey. The YMCA is just up the road. Emory University and hospitals are in that area and lots of students and families living in that community.

It seems pretty safe whenever I am there but the traffic along Clairmount is extremely congested as with all of metro Atlanta. The VA area is safe with good restaurants and shopping (grocery) nearby Publix, Kroger, etc. There are some churches in the area. It appears to be a religious area as there is a nice Jewish population there. There are a few Baptist churches I have seen. It depends on what kind of church you would like to attend with your family.
The area is diverse in many ways. The Greek Orthodox Church is about 2 miles north of the VA, an orthodox synagogue is located on LaVista --a well established--half a century or so Jewish community, Episcopal church less than a mile away, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Catholic and many other smaller sects/denominations are scattered throughout the area. A Unitarian church is about 5 miles away.

The area has a number of same sex households.

Medlock Park/subdivision--older 50's homes is across the street from the VA. Mason Mill Park/recreation center and a nice new library are adjacent to Medlock Park.

There are several older subdivisions in which homes can be found to rent for around $1,000. This is considered North Decatur.

At the intersection of Briarcliff and Clairmont Rds--about 3 miles north there is a shopping center with many Ethiopian restaurants---Chamblee is about 4 miles further north---many Hispanic and Asian families live in this area. Buford Highway has many ethnic restaurants.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:25 AM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
The area is diverse in many ways. The Greek Orthodox Church is about 2 miles north of the VA, an orthodox synagogue is located on LaVista --a well established--half a century or so Jewish community, Episcopal church less than a mile away, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Catholic and many other smaller sects/denominations are scattered throughout the area. A Unitarian church is about 5 miles away.

The area has a number of same sex households.

Medlock Park/subdivision--older 50's homes is across the street from the VA. Mason Mill Park/recreation center and a nice new library are adjacent to Medlock Park.

There are several older subdivisions in which homes can be found to rent for around $1,000. This is considered North Decatur.

At the intersection of Briarcliff and Clairmont Rds--about 3 miles north there is a shopping center with many Ethiopian restaurants---Chamblee is about 4 miles further north---many Hispanic and Asian families live in this area. Buford Highway has many ethnic restaurants.

I forgot to mention LaVista Rd too. I visit the Whole Foods at the intersection of LaVista and Briarcliff when I am over that way. Which reminds me that there are some nice homes between LaVista and Clifton Rd. Well the new library is definitely a plus I have to stop by there some time soon. It has been a while since I have eaten there but there was a Souper Salad, is that the name of it? at N. Druid and Briarcliff that I loved to go to after shopping at Loehmann's. It was a soup, salad, dessert buffet. I think the OP will like the area.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
I forgot to mention LaVista Rd too. I visit the Whole Foods at the intersection of LaVista and Briarcliff when I am over that way. Which reminds me that there are some nice homes between LaVista and Clifton Rd. Well the new library is definitely a plus I have to stop by there some time soon. It has been a while since I have eaten there but there was a Souper Salad, is that the name of it? at N. Druid and Briarcliff that I loved to go to after shopping at Loehmann's. It was a soup, salad, dessert buffet. I think the OP will like the area.
'Lettuce Souprise You'-=it's still there, thankfully. Sometimes that is all I want---a salad that I don't have to make myself, soup that I don't have to make myself and a good muffin/bread.

It's a nice area. People 'just live'.

I'm on the 'other side' of North Druid Hills from the LaVista/Clifton Rd area--Houston Mill/Victoria Estates/Emory's backyard so to speak. There are many more modest older homes that have been renovated from LaVista to North Druid Hills and Clairmont. They have yards and trees--something that many newer homes don't have.
A health conscious community of rather reasonable people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia