Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 09:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,290 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm fixing to transfer to UGA in the fall and I'm currently looking around for a good, cheap, safe place to live around the area. I drive, so I don't mind commuting from outside the city. I currently live around 45 min outside of Atlanta and go to Georgia State University. Being a young, female college student I'm worrying about crime rates and the safety of neighborhoods in the area. That's the main reason I haven't moved further into Atlanta to be closer to school. I'm having a hard time finding a lot of information about the safety in Athens, as well as in surrounding areas. As I said before, I drive so I have no problem living outside of the city, but since I've lived in Atlanta all my life I'm not really sure what areas are good. If anyone has any suggestions or tips it would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 01:38 AM

7,574 posts, read 10,697,081 times
I was at UGA 7 years and just left a few years ago.

Athens isn't too far away from Atlanta. It is worth driving out there a couple of times over the weekends. Go by just about any grocery store, some of the stores downtown and pick up one of those local apartment guides. That is a good start. Many of the apartment complexes in Athens, but not all, are student oriented.

The trick is to spend time and visit them and look around at who is living there. If you don't see alot of students in a particular place... I would stay away from it. This doesn't necessarily mean it is a bad area, but since you don't know the area it is a good rule of thumb to go by.

I would make a point of looking at what students are in the apartment complexes. Is it too loud for you? The type of people you are use to? Is it too quiet/unsocial?

That is a good indicator for how comfortable you will feel there. 1/3 of the rental units in town are dominated by students. Most will be near UGA. The few that aren't are nice and new, but a small drive. You will find them in the apartment guide almost entirely advertising to students and that is the easiest way to find them.

There are alot of student apartments in East Athens...outside Loop 10 down College Station Rd and Barnett Shoals off of Lexington and down Riverbend Rd and Riverbend Pkwy. Some places are newer and some places are older. If they are older...make sure to check how well maintained the complex is. If it is older check the quality of an available unit... not just a model unit. Also, google apartment ratings for Athens. You will get alot of student opinions for various places.

The other side to this is... if you need a roommate use facebook or a roommates.com. If you can find someone who is somewhat like you and has the same concerns as you that needs a roommate... they might already have a place or know of a place that would address your concerns as well as hers.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:09 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,559,348 times
I live in Athens. First, I'd recommend you live on campus if possible.

I would not rent anything along Hwy 78. There are apartments off of South Milledge Ave that are popular with a large selection. Also, there are apt complexes off of College Station. No problem there.

I would not rent along Cedar Shoals Drive near the high school. There are apartments along Barnett Shoals Road that seem okay; rent in gated one if you can afford it.

All of the above are on the east side of town.

You can go to the ACC Police Department website and find out more info on crime.

Where most students get into trouble is downtown in the bars and late at night. If you are not into that mode, you will be fine. We have an upsurge in burglaries when students are gone during breaks. No surprise there.

Oh, you might look for a single apartment in someone's home. You might luck out and find something "reasonable" in the 5 Points area which would be ideal. The places I've mentioned above are all on our bus line as well. UGA students ride for "free" as part of a contract between UGA and ACC.

Good luck.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:54 PM

470 posts, read 1,494,821 times
First place to visit is the Athens Police website. There are decent apartments available throughout the area but only the police can really answer you concerns about crime and safety. You could live a bit further out for possible a little bit less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: