Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:17 AM

970 posts, read 2,950,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
Probably the top 3 would be Savannah, Athens,and the Georgia suburbs of Chattanooga

How can suburbs count as second tier cities, especially suburbs connected to an out of state city??

Old 04-06-2009, 11:43 AM

841 posts, read 1,401,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
How can suburbs count as second tier cities, especially suburbs connected to an out of state city??

Athens is not second Tier city, Don't understand why people are trying to consider it one; But the funny thing is they connect GA cities to out of state cities......But Separate Macon and Warner Robins and they are in the same state and only 15mins apart........

Old 04-06-2009, 12:28 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Athens is not second Tier city, Don't understand why people are trying to consider it one; But the funny thing is they connect GA cities to out of state cities......But Separate Macon and Warner Robins and they are in the same state and only 15mins apart........
1st Tier City: Atlanta

2nd Tier Cities: Augusta, Columbus, Macon, Savannah

3rd Tier Cities: Albany, Athens, Brunswick, Rome, Valdosta, Warner Robins

4th Tier: Dalton, Gainesville, La Grange, Statesboro

Old 04-06-2009, 12:33 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,856,409 times
Quote:
I am not sure why Warner Robins and Macon are not considered one metro area.... that does indeed baffle me.. but then again the main thing for consideration of a metro area is commuting patterns and where ppl work. I think though that Macon and Warner Robins definately qualify as a Combined Statistical area.
Just to not about Athens.. it has a bigger city population than Macon or Albany, so why would it not be considered a 2nd tier city?
Btw.. the Georgia suburbs of Chattanooga have over 120,000 ppl...that;s bigger than Albany.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:51 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,239 times
Quote:
Athens is not second Tier city
According to this definition, found in Business Facilities magazine,

Quote:
" … spatially distinct areas of economic activity where a specialized set of trade-oriented industries takes root and flourishes, establishing employment and population growth trajectories that are the envy of many other places."
Macon is not even a second tier city. I especially like this part "the envy of many other places".
Envy? Not hardly. Unless, of course, you are in the business of fencing stolen goods.......

Old 04-06-2009, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
I am not sure why Warner Robins and Macon are not considered one metro area.... that does indeed baffle me.. but then again the main thing for consideration of a metro area is commuting patterns and where ppl work. I think though that Macon and Warner Robins definately qualify as a Combined Statistical area.
Just to not about Athens.. it has a bigger city population than Macon or Albany, so why would it not be considered a 2nd tier city?
Btw.. the Georgia suburbs of Chattanooga have over 120,000 ppl...that;s bigger than Albany.
First of all Athens City pop and size is way smaller than Macon or Albany, But the Consolidated pop is because it includes the entire County pop.....the proper city size is about 25 sq Miles and pop around 40,000........

Old 04-06-2009, 07:28 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,239 times
Quote:
First of all Athens City pop and size is way smaller than Macon or Albany
And yet, people actually want to live in Athens. Statistics show that people are moving away from Macon and Albany. Go figure. Whats the chance you will ever be correct in your posts? Nil.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:23 AM

925 posts, read 2,606,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
And yet, people actually want to live in Athens. Statistics show that people are moving away from Macon and Albany. Go figure. Whats the chance you will ever be correct in your posts? Nil.
Macon IS larger than Athens. All one has to do is visit both cities to see that. NewtownMacon is correct, Athens is not as large as its city population lists, the result of a city-county consolidation, the same thing that Augusta has done. Macon is about double the size of Athens, and their actual city populations, as well as their metro populations, minus any city-county consolidation, bear this out.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:09 AM

38 posts, read 118,778 times
Bibb County shows about the same amount of growth as Muscogee, which isnt much but still a little, yet people are running away from Macon and fighting for reservations in Columbus? It just doesnt add up. Augusta and Macon have booming suburban counties such as Houston County for Macon and Columbia for Augusta. Does Savannah, Athens or Columbus even have suburban counties on the level of those? I doubt Columbus and Athens do, at the very least.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0909 View Post
Bibb County shows about the same amount of growth as Muscogee, which isnt much but still a little, yet people are running away from Macon and fighting for reservations in Columbus? It just doesnt add up. Augusta and Macon have booming suburban counties such as Houston County for Macon and Columbia for Augusta. Does Savannah, Athens or Columbus even have suburban counties on the level of those? I doubt Columbus and Athens do, at the very least.
I agree with you, Houston county is among the US and GA's fastest growing counties
Warner Robins metro area still among fastest growing - The Sun News - Macon (http://www.macon.com/197/story/664664.html - broken link)
Houston’s retail growth outlook appears strong - Business - Macon (http://www.macon.com/102/story/672275.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia