Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 08:42 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,101,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaflsc View Post
No luv for Augusta?
Augusta has them both beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 08:55 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Augusta has more going on in its suburbs and is larger overall, but I don't think its downtown area is any better then the other two.. It still has a very long way to go at revitalizing its downtown.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:26 PM

841 posts, read 1,402,267 times
Quote:
In what way......I have visited them all Augusta, Columbus, Macon and Savannah frequently and they all are more similar than different..... To be Honest NO 2nd tier has done anything to set itself a part from the other..... But i do Believe strongly that Macon a much better chance in the future to beat out them all.......It May seem hard Right now with the Economy situation and etc. But Macon was really starting to boom in growth but a lot of the projects was push back or hindered by the harsh economic times with companies cutting expansions projects, layoffs; retailers and banks were facing bankruptcy and more..... But Once things start to pick back up so will Macon growth boom...... Right Now I can prove with Facts if every projects that was planned from 2007 up to 2009 had stayed on schedule, Macon would have beaten all the 2nd tier cities in economic growth by a land slide and i have the reliable info and facts to prove so. But because of the economy a lot of projects fell back or postpone its construction until 2010......

For Example Macon Mall.......Before the Economic Crisis Dillard and lot of the stores that left had planned to remain at the Mall along with its new stores in North Macon.....Movie Tavern has planned to convert the old Parisians store into a theater. But When the economy hit a lot of retailer were facing bankruptcy and had to close stores, NOT BECAUSE THE MACON MARKET COULD NOT SUPPORT IT, but because they had to cut costs or suffer the same fate as Circuit city and Goody's. The Mall stores were the first to close because they were leased, the New Dillards in North Macon is actually own by the Dillard's company.

At One point Macon Had 7 lifestyle centers planned and approve and read to go but was pushed back until lat 2009 -2010......Some Bringing New upscale and high-end Retailers, Dining, and others new to the Market and some new to GA....

Alot of people are always comparing the Income of Macon as to what kind of retailers Macon will get But a lot of you have forgotten that Macon support the entire MGA area...... which has a lot of well paid people...

Macon Income Brackets are lower that Augusta and Columbus because Macon's is base off of inner city, which are mostly low-income but when you consider unincorporated Bibb county which is where most of the higher income people live. The median income for a household in the county was $34,532, and the median income for a family was $43,479. Males had a median income of $34,263 versus $25,540 for females. The per capita income for the county was $19,058. About 15.50% of families and 19.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.20% of those under age 18 and 13.10% of those age 65 or over.

Last edited by NewtownMacon; 04-04-2009 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-04-2009, 01:31 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,857,194 times
I think Savannah is in a class of its own.. what other Georgia city can claim being a world class tourist destination? Even Atlanta isn't a big tourist city. I've always thought that Augusta, Macon and Columbus were more similar to each other then different.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
In what way......I have visited them all Augusta, Columbus, Macon and Savannah frequently and they all are more similar than different..... To be Honest NO 2nd tier has done anything to set itself a part from the other..... But i do Believe strongly that Macon a much better chance in the future to beat out them all.......It May seem hard Right now with the Economy situation and etc. But Macon was really starting to boom in growth but a lot of the projects was push back or hindered by the harsh economic times with companies cutting expansions projects, layoffs; retailers and banks were facing bankruptcy and more..... But Once things start to pick back up so will Macon growth boom...... Right Now I can prove with Facts if every projects that was planned from 2007 up 2009 had stayed on schedule Macon would have beaten all the 2nd tier cities economic growth by a land slide and i have the reliable info and facts to prove so.

when I went to CSU ..I was thinking that because of Columbus' population I was going to find a city that wasnt as big as a city like ATL (of course), but still a little bigger than Macon with a little more things to get into. Unfortunately, what I found there was a BIG country town.

Augusta, on the other hand, is that place I was looking for. Similar to Macon .....just a little bigger with a little more amenities...so I like it alittle better.....

I hope we get all the projects we can completed man but I just wouldnt say we're on AUG's level.

Savannah and Augusta always have been a step above Macon and Columbus to me, which is fine with me...because (beside Columbus, IMO) we're all decent options for people to check out and show others that Georgia has other true urban areas besides just ATL.

If you go to Columbus it looks and feels country unlike the others.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
I think Savannah is in a class of its own.. what other Georgia city can claim being a world class tourist destination? Even Atlanta isn't a big tourist city. I've always thought that Augusta, Macon and Columbus were more similar to each other then different.
Well you seem like an unbiased person. You said you would choose Columbus over Macon. Thats cool, because of course you have your reasons but from being in both cities do you feel Columbus looks more....rural?

Some have agreed with me abd some haven't but Columbus just did not have the same "city" vibe as I get with Macon, Augusta and Savannah.

lol that crap just seriously bugged, I dont like country places.

Savannah AND Augusta just have always seemed like "bigger deals than Macon and Columbus to me though.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:47 PM

Do the suburban areas of the other 2nd Tier cities have a town that is as promising or comparable with Warner Robins?
Southern Bibb and Warner Robins just seem to be growing at a very nice pace.

Old 04-04-2009, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Do the suburban areas of the other 2nd Tier cities have a town that is as promising or comparable with Warner Robins?

Here are the counties income Demographics surrounding of Macon/Bibb county.

Bibb County-The median income for a household in the county was $34,532, and the median income for a family was $43,479. Males had a median income of $34,263 versus $25,540 for females. The per capita income for the county was $19,058. About 15.50% of families and 19.10% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.20% of those under age 18 and 13.10% of those age 65 or over.

Houston County-The median income for a household in the county was $43,638, and the median income for a family was $50,384. Males had a median income of $36,031 versus $25,537 for females. The per capita income for the county was $19,515. About 8.40% of families and 10.20% of the population were below the poverty line, including 14.30% of those under age 18 and 9.50% of those ages 65 or over.

Peach County-The median income for a household in the county was $34,453, and the median income for a family was $41,570. Males had a median income of $33,357 versus $24,440 for females. The per capita income for the county was $16,031. About 15.20% of families and 20.20% of the population were below the poverty line, including 24.50% of those under age 18 and 13.50% of those ages 65 or over.

Crawford County-The median income for a household in the county was $37,848, and the median income for a family was $41,799. Males had a median income of $31,099 versus $21,138 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,768. About 12.70% of families and 15.40% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.20% of those under age 18 and 23.80% of those ages 65 or over.

Monroe County-an income for a household in the county was $44,195, and the median income for a family was $51,093. Males had a median income of $34,433 versus $22,146 for females. The per capita income for the county was $19,580. About 7.30% of families and 9.80% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.00% of those under age 18 and 13.30% of those ages 65 or over.

Jones County-The median income for a household in the county was $43,301, and the median income for a family was $48,966. Males had a median income of $36,464 versus $26,736 for females. The per capita income for the county was $19,126. About 7.70% of families and 10.20% of the population were below the poverty line, including 12.30% of those under age 18 and 12.20% of those ages 65 or over.

Twiggs County-The median income for a household in the county was $31,608, and the median income for a family was $38,715. Males had a median income of $31,141 versus $22,057 for females. The per capita income for the county was $14,259. About 15.50% of families and 19.70% of the population were below the poverty line, including 25.20% of those under age 18 and 25.80% of those ages 65 or over.

Old 04-04-2009, 05:44 PM

349 posts, read 1,004,445 times
Quote:
Aiken, Evans, North Augusta, Martinez

Old 04-04-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fammaf View Post
Aiken, Evans, North Augusta, Martinez
But neither compare with W Robins, as far as pop, size and growth....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia