Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 10:03 PM

5 posts, read 15,709 times

Advertisements

I live in Athens and it is very progressive. However, Decatur is hands down the best place for a lesbian if you can afford it. Several of our (my wife and I) closest friends live near Decatur on the perimeter road and spend a lot of time downtown Decatur. This is due to the high cost of housing. We would live in Decatur also, except for the cost of housing - RE taxes also.
So we live in Athens. It is very tolerant and our gay and lesbian friends are very open with public displays of affection. I understand that Savannah is great also, I like to visit there and get the feeling the city is tolerant, but I do not know for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 06:21 AM

3 posts, read 6,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
What does blacks being conservative have to do with anything? According to 2007 census stats, there aren't enough black people in GA to decide anything.

White persons, percent, 2007 (a) 65.6%
Black persons, percent, 2007 (a) 30.0%
American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2007 (a) 0.3%
Asian persons, percent, 2007 (a) 2.8%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2007 (a) 0.1%
Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2007 1.2%
Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2007 (b) 7.8%
White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2007 58.5%

Georgia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
I think paul1993 is using the same method Hilary Clinton used when she first started running for president. There are no math,campaign manager or white conservative person who can prevent the good GA to remain against gay marriage or being gay friendly. I use to lose hope in this generation with the baggy cloths and music selection but I started noticing all of the gay kids we have in elementary schools "coming out" while they are under 18 and that goes for the ones that live out side of Atlanta. So when Obama meant change is coming, It really is! Paul1993 the next time your in one of those conservative towns ask a teacher about the rapid amount of children who are gay and if they are being accepted by those same conservative people children. This state has a debt to pay to children in the system waiting for a home that will provide them love. This state has a debt to pay to Gays aswell. Trust me, if you can read this message, GA is going to change. Toodles!

Old 05-30-2009, 04:16 PM

63 posts, read 284,633 times
I would check out Atlanta (especially Decatur), Savannah, or Athens, probably in that order. I know a couple in a little town right outside of Valdosta (I actually helped with their adoption, and they're a lesbian couple that had no problem) who just love it there. They are both professors and love the small town feel and being fairly close to the Gulf of Mexico.
GL!!

Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 AM

24 posts, read 84,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1993 View Post
Georgia is not the place same sex marriage is banned in this state and alot of people hate them! And you cannot adopt kids here if your not married..
Wow ~ why even bother posting a reply if you're not going to try to be helpful?

I do have friends who are lesbians, are not married and have adopted 3 children so yes, you CAN adopt if you're not married.

Athens is a great place to live, but the pay grade is not as good as it is in the metro areas. That being said, I would check out employment at UGA, St. Mary's Hospital & Athens Regional Hospital so you can get a feel. University of Georgia, St. Mary’s Health Care System – Athens, GA Hospital & Other Medical Facilities with Healthcare Services for Patients and Families in Northeast Georgia, and www.armc.org.

Atlanta is a great place for diversity and there are plenty of nice areas to choose from. I love Savannah but it is my understanding that the public schools are not good. Richmond Hill is supposed to be a nice suburb of Savannah but I'm not too familiar with it so I can't give you much info in the way of diversity, etc.

Good luck in your search!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 AM

26 posts, read 92,827 times
Thanks to all for the great posts. I'm probably going to push off moving for a few more years, but will come back to this!

Old 06-17-2009, 01:04 PM

5 posts, read 18,580 times
Anywhere in metro Atlanta is gay-friendly, I have lived here for over 20 years and never encountered any intolerance. Some areas are more popular than others, I live in Smyrna, in Cobb county and very gay friendly here. I've noticed most of my fiends moving out of the city and heading to the burbs.

Old 05-21-2011, 05:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,443 times
People move out there b/c it's less expensive. Cobb County is INFAMOUS for the anti-gay laws it passed in the 90s. While it may be more gay positive than rural areas of GA (and more gay positive than it was in the 90s) I certainly would not characterize it as gay positive in general. That's like calling Birmingham, Alabama gay positive because it's more gay positive than Mobile!

Old 05-23-2011, 10:58 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1111 View Post
People move out there b/c it's less expensive. Cobb County is INFAMOUS for the anti-gay laws it passed in the 90s. While it may be more gay positive than rural areas of GA (and more gay positive than it was in the 90s) I certainly would not characterize it as gay positive in general. That's like calling Birmingham, Alabama gay positive because it's more gay positive than Mobile!
Which of these laws are still on the books? Can you provide an example?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Which of these laws are still on the books? Can you provide an example?
No such law was created; however, a resolution was created by the County Commission in 1993 that declared that homosexuality was not in keeping with the county's 'community values'. They then took it upon themselves to cut any funding to arts organizations that also did not meet these so-called community standards...when no one on the commission could agree on what these standards were, they decided to cut out arts funding altogether. All of this was a reaction to a Theatre In The (Marietta) Square production of the play Lips Together, Teeth Apart which contained gay themes. After all, those who can't do, govern.

County's Anti-Gay Move Catches Few by Surprise - NYTimes.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lips_Together,_Teeth_Apart

Things do sometimes change over the course of 18 years, however:

Cobb County to Host First Gay Pride Event...Yes, Cobb County | 11alive.com

Old 05-24-2011, 11:39 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No such law was created; however, a resolution was created by the County Commission in 1993 that declared that homosexuality was not in keeping with the county's 'community values'. They then took it upon themselves to cut any funding to arts organizations that also did not meet these so-called community standards...when no one on the commission could agree on what these standards were, they decided to cut out arts funding altogether. All of this was a reaction to a Theatre In The (Marietta) Square production of the play Lips Together, Teeth Apart which contained gay themes. After all, those who can't do, govern.
Wow. Interesting. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia