Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 25,846 times

Advertisements

I am a 25 year old male looking for some advice and mind-easing. I need help trying to convince myself that I am making the right move. I have a great job opportunity in Warner Robins/Macon to consider taking. As of right now I have accepted the position because in this economy it is difficult to turn down the chance. I currently live in Orlando, FL, just moved back from Charlotte, NC last year after being gone for four years for school.

Orlando, well, it's just not the same as I remembered it when I left. The crime rate is much higher, can't watch the news without hearing about a murder anymore. And I knew when Disney started laying people off, things were going downhill fast. The city is still beautiful to me, just the opportunity for a great lifestyle seems to have diminished.

My fiance and I are both working but on the low side of the pay scale. We feel forced into that situation because, like I said before, in this economy you have to take what you can get. We can't even think about starting a family right now because we barely get by with just the two of us. And that's hard to take, constantly moving our wedding dates back because of how tight money is projected to be.

I have family and some friends in the Warner Robins area and of course they say it's great there. But they have never lived in a metropolis or a city even remotely the size of Orlando or Charlotte so their views are not as wide as others.

Are there any positives besides my job opportunity to moving to Central GA. Things to do around town, the people there, restaurants, community activities, etc? Or should I consider sticking it out in Central FL and hope the economy rebounds and the tourism industry picks back up?

Thanks for any responses or help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 05:02 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,068,671 times
Rapidfire, you cant compare our area to ORL at all, but its not "backwoods" country by any stretch. I am in Warner Robins daily, its a very nice area. It's basically like the perfect suburb. Hearing planes from the base everyday gets on my nerves but thats about it. There should be enough shopping and dinning for your liking unless you are extra picky. Warner Robins crime is not bad at all, and Macon is pretty high but you do no have to worry about that unless you actually go into crime infested areas, especially at night.
I still would doubt it can even compare to Orlando's, especially Pine Hills aka
Crime Hills.

It depends on the types of things you like to get into to determine if the area is for your liking in that department. Just remember that it's pretty nice, but do not expect ORL

Old 04-10-2009, 06:38 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,025,272 times
Rapidfire300,

Warner Robins is a blue collar town. Not a lot of high end anything. For that matter, Macon (the nearest decent sized metro area) does not have a lot of fancy high end stuff around either. Do not expect anything like Orlando or Charlotte. Do not get me wrong... Warner Robins does not have a lot of areas like you have seen on the OBT. Sometimes the traffic is just as bad... but there are not strip clubs on every corner. There seems to be a shortage of nightlife activities in Warner Robins, especially for your age group. But with this economy and your offer, you might want to give it a try. Your still young... no better time to start making your way than right now.
Good luck.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:32 PM

8 posts, read 25,846 times
Thank you for the responses.. I am not so much worried about the nightlife, at this point in my life, I am more focused on work and building up to start a family. I have been a big city kid all my life so a change might be in order.. I have always wanted to live in a smaller city away from the metropolis lifestyle, I have just worried about how that would go over.

I am about 95% sure I am going to take this job in Warner Robins, just making this decision weighs on my mind a lot. I figure if I really miss the big city feel, I can take the drive to Atlanta. My fiance and I figured most of our time would be spent working and then at home relaxing.. And on the weekends we can check out the surrounding areas/cities.. But after sometime, I am sure that would get old..

The city of Warner Robins looked real nice when I was there a couple of years ago, and I was younger and more active then..Now it's just time to focus on starting a family. SO hopefully this works out for us.. If there is anything else anyone can share about WR..please do so. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:23 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,725,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Rapidfire300,

Warner Robins is a blue collar town. Not a lot of high end anything. For that matter, Macon (the nearest decent sized metro area) does not have a lot of fancy high end stuff around either. Do not expect anything like Orlando or Charlotte. Do not get me wrong... Warner Robins does not have a lot of areas like you have seen on the OBT. Sometimes the traffic is just as bad... but there are not strip clubs on every corner. There seems to be a shortage of nightlife activities in Warner Robins, especially for your age group. But with this economy and your offer, you might want to give it a try. Your still young... no better time to start making your way than right now.
Good luck.
I don't think of Warner Robins as blue collar.Their is a lot people with serious money their.Most of the people that work on base are not military but civilians.Many of the neighborhoods have house that can rival those in Atlanta.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I don't think of Warner Robins as blue collar.Their is a lot people with serious money their.Most of the people that work on base are not military but civilians.Many of the neighborhoods have house that can rival those in Atlanta.
afonega1,

When you finally get a grasp of the English language please respond to my posts. Until then... how about you respond to the original poster??

Old 04-12-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
afonega1,

When you finally get a grasp of the English language please respond to my posts. Until then... how about you respond to the original poster??
Yes I know I made grammatical errors.I should have proof read it first.However If you chose to post on here stupid comments about little things that you understand but choose to be anal about then I think you can answer the question since you obviously have nothing better to do but give uninformed opinions.Thanks for the corrections in my post.I shall endeavor to do better next time.You should get a hold of that evil disposition.Some people do not liked to be challenged I guess.Have a nice day.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:52 AM

Rapidfire300,
I apologize for my fellow posters. Most cannot stay on topic to save their soul. Even after I attempt to prod them into staying on topic... oh well... I apologize for them.

Quote:
However If you chose to post on here stupid comments about little things that you understand but choose to be anal about then I think you can answer the question since you obviously have nothing better to do but give uninformed opinions.

Firstly, that is one hell of a run-on sentence. Exactly what is your point? I see that I posted a stupid comment. I see that I understand little things. I see where I am anal. I see where I am asked to answer a question. I see where I have nothing better to do, And I see where I give uniformed opinions.
Wow... all in just one sentence. You must be a writer. So descriptive.
Lets look at these descriptive comments one at a time.

First, the stupid comment. What stupid comment? The comment that Warner Robins is a blue collar town? As someone who has lived throughout the southeastern United States (including Atlanta) I think I can recognize a blue collar town when I see it. My girlfriend was born and raised in Perry/Warner Robins. She has spent her whole life in the area. She totally agrees with my comment. Besides, it was my opinion... and you have provided little info to counter it.

Secondly, just what do I understand? The English language? The official language of our Country? Thank you very much. It was not that difficult. I attended public schools until I graduated then attended college. Thank you for the compliment.

Thirdly, I am anal? Because I corrected your multiple mistakes? Perhaps you have a point here. As this is no chat board, ones credibility is based on what one says and how one says it. Had you actually made a valid point I probably would have busted your chops about the way you made it. But you did not make a valid point. And either you cannot get a grasp of the English language or you are to lazy to try. Your credibility (to me) is lost on that point alone.

Fourthly, what question did you ask? A question, in case you have forgotten, is an inquiry. It is followed by one of those squiggly punctuation thingy's. You might want to go back and review that part.

Fifthly, I have a lot of better things to do. But I feel like if I can get just one person to pay just a little more attention to how they present themselves on a bulletin board then I have provided a service to my fellow citizens. A public service, if you will.

And lastly, the uninformed opinion part. This one is tough. I have lived near Warner Robins for around eight years now. In all my travels in and around the place I have yet to see anything I would consider 'high end'. No five star hotels, no fine dining, no exclusive golf courses and no high end shopping places. Perhaps I have just missed them. Perhaps the five star motel is right behind the Quality Inn. Perhaps the fine dinning places are right behind the Lone Star and the Waffle House. And perhaps Saks moved into one of the empty slots in the Centerville Mall. Could be, but I doubt it. I think my opinion on this subject is informed.

Rapidfire300,

Warner Robins will be a change for you, but it is not backwoods hickish like you might think. The traffic can sometimes rival both Orlando and Charlotte, just on a smaller scale. As I mentioned earlier... I suggest, with this poor economy, that you seize any opportunity that comes you way. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Rapidfire300,
I apologize for my fellow posters. Most cannot stay on topic to save their soul. Even after I attempt to prod them into staying on topic... oh well... I apologize for them.

Firstly, that is one hell of a run-on sentence. Exactly what is your point? I see that I posted a stupid comment. I see that I understand little things. I see where I am anal. I see where I am asked to answer a question. I see where I have nothing better to do, And I see where I give uniformed opinions.
Wow... all in just one sentence. You must be a writer. So descriptive.
Lets look at these descriptive comments one at a time.

First, the stupid comment. What stupid comment? The comment that Warner Robins is a blue collar town? As someone who has lived throughout the southeastern United States (including Atlanta) I think I can recognize a blue collar town when I see it. My girlfriend was born and raised in Perry/Warner Robins. She has spent her whole life in the area. She totally agrees with my comment. Besides, it was my opinion... and you have provided little info to counter it.

Secondly, just what do I understand? The English language? The official language of our Country? Thank you very much. It was not that difficult. I attended public schools until I graduated then attended college. Thank you for the compliment.

Thirdly, I am anal? Because I corrected your multiple mistakes? Perhaps you have a point here. As this is no chat board, ones credibility is based on what one says and how one says it. Had you actually made a valid point I probably would have busted your chops about the way you made it. But you did not make a valid point. And either you cannot get a grasp of the English language or you are to lazy to try. Your credibility (to me) is lost on that point alone.

Fourthly, what question did you ask? A question, in case you have forgotten, is an inquiry. It is followed by one of those squiggly punctuation thingy's. You might want to go back and review that part.

Fifthly, I have a lot of better things to do. But I feel like if I can get just one person to pay just a little more attention to how they present themselves on a bulletin board then I have provided a service to my fellow citizens. A public service, if you will.

And lastly, the uninformed opinion part. This one is tough. I have lived near Warner Robins for around eight years now. In all my travels in and around the place I have yet to see anything I would consider 'high end'. No five star hotels, no fine dining, no exclusive golf courses and no high end shopping places. Perhaps I have just missed them. Perhaps the five star motel is right behind the Quality Inn. Perhaps the fine dinning places are right behind the Lone Star and the Waffle House. And perhaps Saks moved into one of the empty slots in the Centerville Mall. Could be, but I doubt it. I think my opinion on this subject is informed.

Rapidfire300,

Warner Robins will be a change for you, but it is not backwoods hickish like you might think. The traffic can sometimes rival both Orlando and Charlotte, just on a smaller scale. As I mentioned earlier... I suggest, with this poor economy, that you seize any opportunity that comes you way. Good luck.
I can handle criticism.I'm not perfect.As you stated,you were trying to give a public service by answering the OP's question.I happened to disagree with your comments.That is why I responded because everyone does not think alike.You obviously understood the question that's why after you tried to berate me ,you finally replied.Actually your reasoning for your answer made sense.I still do not agree because I do not think you have to have a 5star anything to not be considered blue collar.Growing up there,most of my friend's parents were professionals.Anyway instead of getting irate because I happened to have an opinion other than yours,you should calm down and realize its not that serious.I was not trying to "challenge" you.If I came across that way to you,that was not my intent.To end this I extend an olive branch and I wish you a very happy Easter.

To Rapidfire300,I hope that you will enjoy Warner Robins.It seems to meet many of your requirements.I do not live there now,buit My parents recently moved back after 20years in the Atlanta suburbs,and they love it.Good Luck to you.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
... instead of getting irate...
Boy, if you thought that was me getting irate you are way mistaken. Nothing anyone on here says could get me irate.

Quote:
I still do not agree because I do not think you have to have a 5star anything to not be considered blue collar.Growing up there,most of my friend's parents were professionals.
(There is a double negative in there, by the way[actually it is a triple negative].)
OK, using this site for information, the average household income in Warner Robins is below the state average. Most of your friends parents might have been professionals, but as a whole the city is not very prosperous. One would think that would be the case in a white collar town. I assume we would agree on that point... a large group of white collar workers would elevate the average household income, correct? Guess what the most common occupation for males is in Warner Robins? (That is one of those question thingy's we talked about earlier.) It would be vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers and repairers. That makes up about nine percent of the male workforce... the highest identifiable percentage on the provided scale. If you consider car/vehicle mechanics to be white collar then we need not go further in this discussion. But if you will concede that point then we can move on to the most common occupation for females in Warner Robins. Office and administration support, followed closely by secretaries and teachers. All great occupations, but white collar? I do not think so.
Oh, and those nice homes you were talking about earlier? Well, the average house value in Warner Robins is over $50,000 less than the state average. $50,000 less! One would think, in a white collar town, that house values would exceed the state average.
I am standing by my blue collar comment. And I am less than irate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia