Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 10:03 PM

24 posts, read 67,545 times

Advertisements

Are they really as bad as people say they are in Georgia?

The missus has terrible terrible allergy eczema and I've got asthma + allergies with a healthy heaping of sinus problems which requires a surgery I am terrified of to fix.

If they're like nightmarishly bad how long does the pollen season last, or is it an all year pain in the rear? Is it statewide?

Are things better the higher up you go or worse?

Anyone that has some linkys on pollen studies in the area/state/region would be awesome too.

Thanks again for all the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 10:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Yes, the pollen is bad here - among the worst in the U.S. during Springtime.

The weather channel's pollen page: Pollen Count for Atlanta, GA (30319) - weather.com

For some, over the counter pills like Benadryl or Zyrtec work well enough. For others, a trip to the doctor is in order for something stronger. In extreme cases, it has triggered harsh respiratory problems for some that again, require medical treatment.

You are now in pollen season and it continues "strongly" through late May, usually. But if you're allergic to the right (or wrong) things, it can continue through the Summer and into Autumn, depending on what it is you're allergic to.

Supposedly, eating a couple of teaspoons of raw bee honey each day will over time help people develop a resistance to pollen, but it depends on what the honey was made from (type of plant), etc. Hit and miss remedy.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:36 AM

150 posts, read 481,833 times
Pollen is really bad in the north parts of the state. If I had really bad allergies Id look into Arizona. Georgia is definetly not allergy friendly.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:44 PM

24 posts, read 67,545 times
C-D ate my last post Anyway - are there any parts of Georgia that don't get hit as bad with the pollen counts, yet still manage to maintain the four seasons? How would these growing seasons compare to North or Central NJ? Or even South/Central Florida? The pollen counts where we both grew up were pretty bad too. She lived in the forested mountain region of NJ. I grew up minutes away from Colt's Neck, which is mostly woods and horse farms. The apple orchard was five minutes from my house. I'm really not looking forward to having to move to Arizona or New Mexico or an arid region. I think Arizona gets too much of a temperature extreme. And the brown, scrub grass and flatland doesn't seem too appealing. Are there any other locations where pollen would not be AS bad as the Atlanta metro?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia