Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 4,197 times

Advertisements

I am really disgusted withthis wholes situation!!! I sat on hold with DOL for 25 min just for them to tell me that they had heard nothing and knew nothing!!! I called commissioner Thurmond's office and was transferred to the assistant commissioner's office where I got the asnswerig service. I will be calling first thing in the morning to see if I can get some answers. The governer signs the bill and Dol knows nothing?? This is rediculus, I knew more about the situation than the costumer service rep for DOL!!!!!!! and she laughed about it.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:03 AM

462 posts, read 989,224 times
I want to take a minute to thank all of you for your information....for your support...for your taking the time to share information. When it comes down to it, all of us are in the same boat, looking for a lifeline. We may not have the answers, but at least we take the time to share what little we may know. Whether or not you realize it, you guys are my rock....you know my plight, and you are not afraid to to say I DONT KNOW....We are in this together....we will survive this together....we may never meet, but we will always share a common bond. I thank each and every one of you for being a part of my journey.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:43 AM

75 posts, read 209,908 times
Well got through to the GDOL this morning, and the lady I spoke to was so nice, I thought I had a wrong number. She inform me that they had just got the information this morning, they will began to send out letters around May 8. She said that she was not sure how far back benefits would be retro, but pretty sure the 25 dollars would be included. She also said that we might have to come in and reapply for the EB benefits if so the letter would indicate it. Guys we are one step closer to get what we fought so hard to get. Thanks to everyone that shared their knowledge and information on this Georgia forum. I do wish that in the future thing will be the best for all of us. When this is all over Iam gonna miss venting with you guys. But hopefully we can still keep in touch now and then about our life experiences with this EB benefit. Honestly yall I wish for the best to each and everyone that has had to suffer through this crisis. GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 09:40 AM

46 posts, read 120,333 times
Default Keep your fingers crossed, and don't count your chickens yet!

Although things are looking up for us, I won't be satisfied until I see my first deposit of EB $. You know some states won't open you a EB claim if you're 1 yr. anniv. date was before Dec. 30,07 and in N.J. I think it's Mar.21,08. I would just have missed it in N. J.! I wonder what Ga.'s will be? Anybody know for sure?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:46 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS200 View Post
I wish I could answer that. I was comparing weeks that other states are getting and found that Minnesota is collecting EB and they have not met either criteria as far as I can figure out. (IUR or TUR) I must be missing something.
Minnesota in general does have a somewhat different attitude than Georgia, for better or worse. The unemployment program up there is quite good (I've had to use it three times in the past 20 years after layoffs and contract terminations).

Old 04-23-2009, 10:04 AM

72 posts, read 178,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchbird56 View Post
Although things are looking up for us, I won't be satisfied until I see my first deposit of EB $. You know some states won't open you a EB claim if you're 1 yr. anniv. date was before Dec. 30,07 and in N.J. I think it's Mar.21,08. I would just have missed it in N. J.! I wonder what Ga.'s will be? Anybody know for sure?
I was laid off nov 2007 but I recertified nov 2008. They established me a new claim year that began 11-08 and ends 11-09..then I got a letter a few days later it said..I had to of earned at least 10 times the weekly benefit amount of this claim and you have not earned enough and can not be paid benefits....I did not earn enough because I was unemployed in 2008.. Then I was eligiable for EUC ..... SO SEE MY BENEFIT YEAR DOES NOT END UNTIL 11-09.....so From my understanding I should qualify..LORD I HOPE SO

Old 04-23-2009, 10:14 AM

727 posts, read 1,096,806 times
I am watching the hearings-what really stands out with all of this is our representatives in Washington really do not get the reality of what is actually going on out in America. Several of these gentleman questioned the length of time that benefits are paid out and referencing that we are sitting at home and not looking for jobs due to our receiving these UI benefits. As if...
Now, we all know what the real world view is-there are zero jobs. I know I and all of us would prefer to be employed when compared to us getting UI. It's not like we are making a huge sum of money with the UI-I personally am getting the max benefit and it is a quarter of what I actually made while employed.
Michael Thurmond had 5 minutes to speak and several minutes were taken up with back slapping by Mr. Lewis of GA and Mr. Thurmond's accomplishments as Commissioner of GA DOL. Mr. Thurmond discussed figures concerning how many receive regular UI(135,000) and those receiving extended benefits(85,000) and the total number of unemployed that is recorded is 442,000. So using these figures-at the present time 220,000 people in GA are receiving some type of benefits. The rest of us(222,000) and not counting the ones who are not reported or underemployed(as in PT) are going without benefits. I do not know what it is going to take to wake up these people in Government..will it be when the benefits run out for all of us and an uprising occurs by us the dis-enfranchised and forgotten. When millions of people have lost their homes and cars and can't feed their families-will we all then take to the streets?
The answer to all of this is JOBS CREATION! Period. Without new jobs and the return of jobs lost-we will never crawl up out of this dark hole of recession till this is address and implemented.
The States that turn down this FREE 2009 stimulus money are NOT looking out for their citizens. These States believe that if they accept this money that their taxes will go up when the reality is it is totally funded for up to 7 years by the Federal Government at NO cost to the States.
So, I guess what I am trying to convey is that we all need to stay on top of Government at both the State and Federal Level and make sure that they do look out for our best interests. It is in their best interest to do this as if we all are to fall off the rolls and are NOT contributing back to the economy, then we all fail.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,197 times
I just got off the phone with the assistant commissioner's office and was told that the letters for all eligible recipients will be mailed out on May 8Th but had no clue what the requirements for eligibility were. I told her that the unemployment office had no idea what was going on and she said that she would contact the supervisors to make sure that everyone was up to speed. I hope she does b/c people need to be informed. She said they were trying to determine what requirements need to be met to be eligible. I will be looking for my letter and I am going to continue to certify every week just in case this will be retroactive,

Old 04-23-2009, 11:18 AM

62 posts, read 134,184 times
Thank you to everyone that has brought any information to this forum! All the time waiting on hold to speak to someone, searching the internet, or sending out emails to government officials has made this thread very helpful and given some hope for many hurting people. Thanks!

Old 04-23-2009, 12:43 PM

462 posts, read 989,224 times
What really concerns me is that some of you got letters saying that you may qualify for EB, and others like myself got letters saying that benefits have been exhausted and we have received our final payment. For those of you who got the EB letter, have you run out of your EUC yet? What was your original date of filing for unemployment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia