Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 12:36 PM

15 posts, read 46,211 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I left south Fl in Feb due to cost of living and low wadges (now perched in North Charelston,SC), my parents are getting ready to also up root from south fl (near Miami). The are buying a house in echols(sp?) county near Valdosta,Ga. It's far enough from town to where you don't get much traffic at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2006, 07:42 PM

9 posts, read 102,803 times
Ready2move and Floridaborn,
We are here in Hollywood, FL. and we are making our first trip to the Atlanta area July 27th. Also looking in Woodstock. The taxes are a lot cheaper than in other parts of the Atlanta area. Can anyone tell me, is Cherokee County a dry county? I've also looked at the schools in this area and they seem pretty good. I've got a lot of info and some good web sites if you need any info. Local info always the best though!

Old 07-06-2006, 05:21 PM

894 posts, read 4,349,397 times
Jeanifca,

That's funny, we are planning a trip around that time as well..

I don't think Cherokee is a dry county, I hope not as I am looking in that area

Old 07-06-2006, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 6,094 times
Default Green with Envy!

Jeanifca and ready2move,

I am so jealous of you guys getting up there before me. (see I'm green with envy)
I hope you both have alot of luck!

I hope when you return you will let me know what you found. Are either of you dealing with a realtor up there?

Floridaborn

Old 07-07-2006, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 8,044 times
Default place to live

Hi, we moved from Port Saint Lucie 2 years ago due to the hurricanes and lack of seasons. We now live in Cartersville, which is 45 min north of Atlanta. It is a small town, house prices aren't too bad yet. Not a lot of shopping, but Kennesaw is 20 min south and has everything. People are nice, it is a safe homey place to live. Can't buy alcohol or get it in restaurants on Sunday. we just stock up the rest of the week! Good luck moving. I lived in Florida most of my life (37 yrs old) and am loving the change of seasons, ability to grow pretty, non-tropical plants and the birds. I miss gopher tortoises, sandhill cranes and the beach (which I hated until I left!). It can be cold in the winter, but just when you think you can't stand another cold day, spring arrives and it is so beautiful you forget about the cold quickly (like the pain of giving birth....). Good luck. It is kinda bilble belty around here, although Sunday is a good day to be out on the roads as a lot of people are at church!

Old 07-08-2006, 10:15 AM

Hi floridabor nand ready2move
I really can't wait to get up there in a couple of weeks. I'll be happy to report when we get back!
jeanifca

Old 07-08-2006, 10:19 AM

Hi gardengirl,
My grandparents lived in Port St. Lucie until they almost lost their home to the wildfires about 3-4yrs ago. They are now in a West Palm Beach retirement community! Port St. Lucie is very nice, They still lived of a dirt road when they first moved there and there was only one other house on the street. Now its all built up. I am looking forward to the change of seasons but living almost all of my life in SoFLo when it gets below 70 degrees I freeze!
jeanifca

Old 07-08-2006, 12:56 PM

3 posts, read 6,094 times
jeanifca and gardengirl,

The temperature is what keeps me here, not that I want it to.
It's not that I just find the cold weather uncomfortable, for me it is unbearable.
I have an unusual body temp situation where I'm almost always cold. I don't want to move my entire life just to find I can't handle the weather.

Gardengirl,
How long does it stay cold up there? Is the heating electric or gas? I have never used gas appliances before, so I am curious how that all works and how it effects your monthly finances.

Thanks, floridaborn

Old 07-09-2006, 05:24 AM

10 posts, read 42,900 times
were in sunrise fl. getting the bug to go. Once we get through the summer im selling!
SEE YA. Im kind of excited about starting all over again (career) See you all on the N side of Atlanta somewhere!

Old 07-09-2006, 08:22 AM

56 posts, read 301,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ready2move
thanks, I am not necessarily looking for a strong Jewish presence, but an area of somewhat diversity without strong religious ties either way. My husband does not being an hour or so away from the airport. I would like some cooler mountain air. Am I safe to assume that Atlanta and immediate areas around there have oppressive humidity in the summer like Florida?

Thanks for your imput!
Jasper will be way more than an Hour from the airport, look at Cartersville GA, I really liked that town and it is closer to the airport, but if you want the mountains then you will be more than an hour to the airport no matter where you live since it is in South Atlanta and the Mountains are North West GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia