Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:00 PM

837 posts, read 1,387,082 times

Advertisements

The White House - Blog Post - A Vision for High Speed Rail

The report formalizes the identification of ten high-speed rail corridors as potential recipients of federal funding. Those lines are: California, Pacific Northwest, South Central, Gulf Coast, Chicago Hub Network, Florida, Southeast, Keystone, Empire and Northern New England. Also, opportunities exist for the Northeast Corridor from Washington to Boston to compete for funds to improve the nation’s only existing high-speed rail service.

This is Great News for Macon because it is on the Track.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 09:45 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,923,864 times
Why is it just good news for Macon? What you should've said was, this is great news for Georgia. Lets be more open minded about this instead of thinking of just one city.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:31 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,293,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Why is it just good news for Macon? What you should've said was, this is great news for Georgia. Lets be more open minded about this instead of thinking of just one city.
I don't think that is possible for this one.

But it IS great news for the entire region!

Old 04-16-2009, 10:50 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,122,510 times
And the massive amount of money to build this great rail system will come from where? How many people will actually use it?

I used to live in the Boston area and took the Acela to NYC a few times, but it was expensive, and it really didn't give me any time advantage over driving. If my company was paying, then I could get work done or read on the train, but if I was paying, why would I take the train if there was no time advantage and huge cost?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:56 PM

837 posts, read 1,387,082 times
Quote:
Well you are partially right that is Great news for Ga, but it also extra great that something which would fuel growth and opportunities like this has been chosen to take place in another city other than just Atlanta...... Thats why i Say this is Great for Macon..... Anything else????

Old 04-16-2009, 11:09 PM

John, you're right. As I read, in Georgia, it would go through Atlanta, Macon & Savannah, then continue south towards Jacksonville which would more than likely include Brunswick.

Neil, from what Obama said in the press conference, these high speed rail projects would have trains running up over 100mph. I'm sure there would be some sort of time advantage. I guess time will tell with these projects though.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And the massive amount of money to build this great rail system will come from where? How many people will actually use it?

I used to live in the Boston area and took the Acela to NYC a few times, but it was expensive, and it really didn't give me any time advantage over driving. If my company was paying, then I could get work done or read on the train, but if I was paying, why would I take the train if there was no time advantage and huge cost?
You know Neil, I wondered about that too. BUT, it will be a huge jobs program and will benefit the country greatly in many ways.

We had to cough it up for the Interstate system, now we need to cough it up for hi-speed rail. It's time.

Old 04-16-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
John, you're right. As I read, in Georgia, it would go through Atlanta, Macon & Savannah, then continue south towards Jacksonville which would more than likely include Brunswick.

Neil, from what Obama said in the press conference, these high speed rail projects would have trains running up over 100mph. I'm sure there would be some sort of time advantage. I guess time will tell with these projects though.
There is also an Atlanta connection to the NE Corridor via Charlotte, Raleigh & Richmond, and an Atlanta to New Orleans corridor. We have ONE Amtrak train a day in each direction on this route now(what a joke).

Old 04-16-2009, 11:30 PM

Forgot to mention that one. Oops. But yeah, that is a joke!

Something of this caliber needs to happen to change things. (High-speed rail projects)

Old 04-17-2009, 05:12 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,122,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
There is also an Atlanta connection to the NE Corridor via Charlotte, Raleigh & Richmond, and an Atlanta to New Orleans corridor. We have ONE Amtrak train a day in each direction on this route now(what a joke).
Yeah, but who is going to take a train from Atlanta to Raleigh, Richmond, DC, New Orleans, or anywhere in the northeast when you can fly there in 1 to 2.5 hours? Even with the time to get through security and drive to the downtown core, flying is still the best option. This isn't Europe where large capitals are 100 miles away and a trip between them takes 45 minutes. Look at where rail has been successful...Europe and Japan, where distances are small and population centers are very close.

Now Charlotte might work out if the train trip is under 4 hours...that would put it at a par with driving and just a little behind flying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia