Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2006, 09:44 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,686,508 times

Advertisements

I am considering Dallas, or some place in Paulding county for retirement. I am from PA, bought a house in NC upon retirement, and after one year have never been so unwelcomed anywhere I have ever lived. The locals here in NC don't like outsiders especially yankees. I would just go back to PA but I am getting a little too old to shovel snow. I would appreciate an honest opinion of Paulding county.
Thanks
Don
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2006, 02:06 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,157 times
Paulding is a nice county and since it's in Metro Atlanta, the people there should be very welcoming to transplants.

Old 07-01-2006, 04:30 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,692,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi
I am considering Dallas, or some place in Paulding county for retirement. I am from PA, bought a house in NC upon retirement, and after one year have never been so unwelcomed anywhere I have ever lived. The locals here in NC don't like outsiders especially yankees. I would just go back to PA but I am getting a little too old to shovel snow. I would appreciate an honest opinion of Paulding county.
Thanks
Don
Hi Don,

We recently moved to NC, and I was curious as to what part of NC you live in. We just moved to a new neighborhood and haven't met many people. Time will tell if we're welcome, although there seem to be lots of transplants here already (Raleigh area)....

Old 07-01-2006, 09:02 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,686,508 times
holt4fam,
I am in the foothills. I don't want to mention the town because I have my house for sale. I see you are in the Raleigh area therefore you should be fine.

Tdiddy0027,
Thanks for the reply.

Don

Old 07-25-2007, 09:48 AM

6 posts, read 22,145 times
Default unwelcome?

Where are you in NC? Have lived here 12 years and never felt unwelcome (not a yankee, however). I think people here dislike Floridians more than yankees but it's all in how you approach them. They aren't going to change so you will have to. Most just resent people coming from other places and complaining that things are not the same.????? They wonder (rightly) why they left the other places.

Old 07-25-2007, 10:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Thanks
Don
I live on the Cobb/Paulding line, and one of my coworkers is actually from Pittsburgh and they live right in the upper-middle area of Paulding. They get along just fine and like it there.

As someone else said, people here don't respond well when you come from elsewhere and do the, "well back home we do it THIS way" thing, but If you're just an everyday personanable person, you should have no problems.

Be aware that there is A LOT of development in Paulding. It's rapidly growing and expanding. Traffic along one of the main areas (Thornton Road/Hwy 78) can be backed up a lot during rush hour or on late weekend afternoons. Also, Georgia has some lax codes when it comes to builders, so make sure and have any home you're considering buying inspected first by a GOOD home inspector.

There is an occasional small tornado in these areas in the spring/summer months, so a home with a basement isn't a bad investment.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:52 PM

35 posts, read 170,522 times
Don't know Paulding area. Hartwell, Georgia - however - has beautiful scenery (which may soften the change for you from NC), and a large retiree population who came down from the Northern States for the friendly town, quiet lake, and moderate weather. I'm sure you would enjoy Hartwell!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia