Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:26 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,839,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
True, but at least Evans has a few homes that have some historical value to them. Granted, I would still not live in either place!
A "few" is probably about right... but most of Evans was built after 1980.
Peachtree City was a "planned" community dating back from the early 60s when they thought decentralised cities and autocentered sprawl was the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 07:28 PM

117 posts, read 505,174 times
Albany, Georgia's downtown area is realitvely dead, most of the businesses and retail and resturants closed down or relocated to Northwest Albany or South Lee County where the majority of Albany's business development has been centered. The city has recently made efforts to revitalzie the downtown area, mostly through new government buildings including the Albany-Dougerhty County Government Center, Albany Law-Enforcement Center, Georgia Dept. of Human Resources building, Federal District Courthouse, etc. The Riverfront Park has in my opinion has improved the downtown area, especially along the Flint River. The Flint River Aquarium is right by the Riverfront Park, and the new Hilton Garden Hotel has opened across the street, further improving the general area. However there still needs to be improvements, perhaps expansion of Albany's riverwalk area, and cleaning up some of the neighborhoods in the area. I would not dare to go to this area at night, because of all the crime. If they could get rid of some of the crime, maybe the area would look more attractive to businesses.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart03 View Post
Albany, Georgia's downtown area is realitvely dead, most of the businesses and retail and resturants closed down or relocated to Northwest Albany or South Lee County where the majority of Albany's business development has been centered. The city has recently made efforts to revitalzie the downtown area, mostly through new government buildings including the Albany-Dougerhty County Government Center, Albany Law-Enforcement Center, Georgia Dept. of Human Resources building, Federal District Courthouse, etc. The Riverfront Park has in my opinion has improved the downtown area, especially along the Flint River. The Flint River Aquarium is right by the Riverfront Park, and the new Hilton Garden Hotel has opened across the street, further improving the general area. However there still needs to be improvements, perhaps expansion of Albany's riverwalk area, and cleaning up some of the neighborhoods in the area. I would not dare to go to this area at night, because of all the crime. If they could get rid of some of the crime, maybe the area would look more attractive to businesses.
In my experience... more "government buildings" does very little to revitalise a downtown area.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:43 PM

23,318 posts, read 43,776,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
Didn't they do this already with The Riverwalk??
I think the obstacle is the levee... if it was removed in the downtown portion then Augusta could have a riverfront more like River ST in Savannah.
Yes, but I have read on here that there were plans in motion to remove it. It is no longer needed.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, but I have read on here that there were plans in motion to remove it. It is no longer needed.
There are some ppl who want to do this.. but it is not an easy proposition, as it would need an act of congress. So far no government leaders are really getting behind the idea and pushing it.. This is something the mayor should champion in my opinion. People just don't realise how much the levee stymies Augusta's riverfront development. If a levee is still necessary, then doesn't North Augusta need one?

Old 05-01-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
There are some ppl who want to do this.. but it is not an easy proposition, as it would need an act of congress. So far no government leaders are really getting behind the idea and pushing it.. This is something the mayor should champion in my opinion. People just don't realise how much the levee stymies Augusta's riverfront development. If a levee is still necessary, then doesn't North Augusta need one?
If I remember right, the lock system upriver that was implemented after the original levee was built provides more than adequate protection against flooding in the city. Therefore, the levee could at least be lowered enough to provide river views. I'd love to see something along the lines of the San Antonio Riverwalk. What a huge boost for the city that would be.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:59 PM

235 posts, read 835,080 times
Sparta in Hancock county has a rundown downtown which had seen better days decades ago. I believe an old TV series was filmed there some but forget the name - Heat of the Night?

Old 05-02-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmenomen View Post
Sparta in Hancock county has a rundown downtown which had seen better days decades ago. I believe an old TV series was filmed there some but forget the name - Heat of the Night?
Sparta, MS was the fictional town in which the show took place. The show was actually filmed around Covington, GA.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:45 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,066,806 times
There a ton of tiny, dead towns like sparta. There arent many people who live in those rural type of towns and counties and they seem pretty fine with their lifestyle. To mention sparta would mean you have to toss in jeffersonville, irwinton, eastman, etc.

....but anyway as mentioned earlier, nah warner robins doesnt have a downtown, I think they really need one

Old 05-02-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
There a ton of tiny, dead towns like sparta. There arent many people who live in those rural type of towns and counties and they seem pretty fine with their lifestyle. To mention sparta would mean you have to toss in jeffersonville, irwinton, eastman, etc.

....but anyway as mentioned earlier, nah warner robins doesnt have a downtown, I think they really need one
I really didn't find anythying impressive about Warner Robins... just sprawl if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia