U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2009, 02:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,054 times

Advertisements

Hello there, I am new to this, so pls be gentle. I currently live in PA (outskirts of Philadelphia). Tired of the north--want to get away. I am an LPN who's only work with geriatrics. I would be moving to Georgia with just my 2 children (girl-8, boy-4). My daughter is an A/B student, so schooling is very important to me. Also I make about 40-42,000 a yr just working 40hr/wk, so I need something I can afford (interested in renting only). The neighborhood we live in is working middle class (people from all walks of life) which has my children pretty well rounded. I would like to continue that (blacks, whites, hispanics, asians--you name it). Pls help me.

Also, if possible I would like to make some associates--for networking (if you can help with possible jobs that would be great. The demand for LPNs are not that great anymore.

thank you
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 06:36 AM

74 posts, read 181,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblckbty View Post
Hello there, I am new to this, so pls be gentle. I currently live in PA (outskirts of Philadelphia). Tired of the north--want to get away. I am an LPN who's only work with geriatrics. I would be moving to Georgia with just my 2 children (girl-8, boy-4). My daughter is an A/B student, so schooling is very important to me. Also I make about 40-42,000 a yr just working 40hr/wk, so I need something I can afford (interested in renting only). The neighborhood we live in is working middle class (people from all walks of life) which has my children pretty well rounded. I would like to continue that (blacks, whites, hispanics, asians--you name it). Pls help me.

Also, if possible I would like to make some associates--for networking (if you can help with possible jobs that would be great. The demand for LPNs are not that great anymore.

thank you
North Columbus, GA has some very nice active adult communities and, like everywhere, there's always demand for RNs. Columbus has a large retired military population.

North Columbus offers some very good schools. When you look at the ratings, drill down past the district ratings and look at specific schools. Intown Columbus has some very nice areas and schools too. The Jordan-Johnson area is always a good working class area with schools in walking distance. As far as high schools, Columbus High is an awesome magnet school, Jordan too is very good. I think Hardaway has lost some luster. But back to north Columbus, Northside is good but avoid Shaw.

Columbus and Lagrange combined are receiving between 12,000 and 15,000 (depending on what you read) jobs between now and 2012 thanks to a new Kia plant and suppliers and expansion at Fort Benning. Lagrange too is a very nice small city. It has a very nice quaint downtown and a pretty conservative population. (It's a 'red' county). As far as I know, there is only one active adult community in the area there, but the large West Point Lake is attracting more retirees. In Troup County (Lagrange) too, look at individual schools and not the district overall for ratings. Real estate in the area is very reasonable.

Harris County, a Columbus suburban county has more expensive real estate and expect to drive a minimum of 20-40 minutes to get to, well, anything. Schools are good there. Marion County in Columbus south metro is a sleeper county. Meaning it's due for growth at some point. Maybe during BRAC. Schools there are actually pretty good. There too, expect to drive quite a bit to get to retail and medical services.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:31 AM

249 posts, read 509,209 times
The Augusta Area is a pretty good area for medicine. Since it houses the Medical College of Georgia the industry is solid. Also just across the river in South Carolina is the town of Aiken which has been consistently ranked as one of the top retirement communities in the nation.
As far as schooling goes Columbia County(GA) and Aiken County(SC) are the best in the 3 county area with Richmond County(GA) being at the bottom of the bunch. That's not to say that there arent good schools in Richmond just better in Columbia and Aiken.

Real estate is really affordable in all areas.The job market in your area has not taken a hit.Augusta is a nice suburban town, so if youre trying to avoid the rush its a nice place and plus your less than 3 hours to mountains, beach and atlanta.Good luck

Old 05-29-2009, 08:26 AM

24 posts, read 76,226 times
There are a lot of great areas in Georgia to choose from.

I lived in Athens, GA for 15 years and relocated to South Jersey about 5 years ago, so I understand where you're coming from. (I'm not a fan of the area!)

Athens is a great place, although you may have trouble finding the salary you desire. In my opinion the public schools in Clarke County are not good. I would look into Oconee, Oglethorpe or Madison County.

You may also want to look at some surrounding suburbs of Atlanta such as Fayetteville, Canton, Woodstock, Alpharetta or Marietta. It is my understanding that the schools in these areas are good and you may have better luck finding a job in a larger metropolitan area.

If you want to check out school districts, Schooldigger.com -- Search and compare elementary, middle, and high schools. is a good resource.

Hope this info helps ~ good luck in your search!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:42 PM

593 posts, read 2,637,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblckbty View Post
Tired of the north--want to get away.
Ok hold up, wait a minute.

What does "tired of the north" mean.
Tired of the weather? tired of the people? tired of your job? tired of the traffic? What exactly are you tired of?

And very important...
When was the last time you went on a out of town vacation of 4 nights or longer?

Have you visited georgia before or did you just throw a dart at a map?
The reason I ask is during a time of such uncertainty, you seem to have a lot going for you. A job that pays well, a daughter that's doing well. Is she happy by the way?

Old 05-30-2009, 11:48 AM

63 posts, read 258,548 times
Have you thought about doing some school to be an RN? My mother is an LPN and you're right, they're not nearly as in demand anymore, and pay isn't great...also hours are usually crappy starting out, which may be hard if you're on your own and don't have a support system here.
I don't know much about the neighborhoods, schools, etc of Atlanta's suburbs but it seems like that is definitely where work opportunities would be best.
I really disagree with aboutmetro on LaGrange/Troup County...it is not diverse at all and I went to school there for elementary and middle and they were quite lacking. If you do Troup County I would look at the southern end near Harris, which is much better. I went to high school there and it was fairly good. Again, not much diversity but it is pretty. Avoid Meriwether and Talbot counties at all costs, especially since school systems are important to you. Muscogee County, which has Columbus, is ok. Pretty good schools but no character at all IMO. My husband and I live close by and can't wait to move somewhere else to raise our family (sorry to be a downer there.)
Depending on what kind of weather you're looking for, I personally would look North of Atlanta...Blairsville and Dahlonega are adorable but I don't know what the work situation would be like. The Athens area is really nice too, and I love Savannah but I don't think the schools are great.
GL!!

Old 05-31-2009, 07:51 AM

726 posts, read 3,350,968 times
geriatrics! The coast is overloaded with retirees

the public school systems in both Savannah and Augusta have a system of open enrollment Charter, Magnet, and Specialty schools that are available to good students
Best High Schools in Georgia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or