Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:57 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,122,213 times

Advertisements

Areas around military bases are more used to blended families than other areas. Columbus and Savannah are good examples of this. It's just that there are some that just don't like someone that's not exactly like they are. If your luck is bad, you might find yourself living on the same block with several of them. But that could happen anywhere.

In some areas, where you go to church is more important that the color of your skin or the shape of your eyes. This can be as disturbing as any other sort of bigotry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:26 AM

63 posts, read 150,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsontech View Post
I agree 100 percent with you!
Along with an outrageous crime and poverty rate to boot.
We have one poster here who thinks progressive and diverse means a new bldg etc and misses the mark completely(as well as being very childish and immature in his over the top remarks).
We left for Roswell/Alpharetta area and it was like day and night with cost overall MUCH LESS than anywhere in the Columbus area for housing etc.
Good post.
Auburn/Opelika is growing by leaps and bounds as Newnan has in the past ten years while Columbus continues to flounder.
Your value for the dollar is much higher here with housing etc very affordable compared to Columbus and crime/poverty levels facts have been posted here several times on downtown area becoming a shooting gallery.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:48 AM

470 posts, read 1,495,782 times
Try the area around Athens. It is a college town with a lot going on even when classes are out of session. It is relatively close to Atlanta. Cost of living is reasonable. And, there are people from all over living in the area.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:02 AM

63 posts, read 150,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaloca1 View Post
RUN, do not walk away from Columbus.
Ft Benning has diversity but Columbus is very racially polarized and segregated. If you are minority and middle or upper middle class you may fit in with local minorities,maybe. But because of social segregation you may find, as many do, that you will be forced to socialize exclusively with one race. And socializing with that one will pretty much exclude you from socializing with the other.

I am a mixed race female from a relatively uppermiddle class background, I find that because I am not local that I dont share the same values as most of the (few) middle class professional black people and well, who wants to deal with racist white people? Plus, if you do choose to socialize with white people, expect ostracism from those who are outside of that community.

And be prepared to go to Church a few times a week, enjoy the Pig *** and generally be bored senseless.
Nina....so true although racism is practiced by all races in Columbus leaving the city fragmented and disorganized.
The whole area is sooooo slow.
Poverty and crime have a lot to do with the boredom factor and downtown is a shooting gallery.

Last edited by Aubtech; 07-13-2009 at 08:26 AM..

Old 11-12-2009, 07:02 PM

18 posts, read 156,124 times
There aren't any cities that meet your description. I was so hopeful too because of the census numbers. However even with so many racial, religious and cultural diversity, almost everyone I met in GA was all about staying with your own. Multi-racial or intercultural kids don't have that as an option. True tolerance is necessary. I didn't find tolerance here. Not from the whites and not from the blacks. Not in the schools and not at the doctors office. Keep looking, there are places that better meet your needs and especially if you are degreed professional. Good luck!!!

Old 11-14-2009, 08:41 AM

925 posts, read 2,599,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacioust View Post
The economic downturn has forced us to consider moving from NY. Does anyone have any prospective area in Georgia that are progressive, affordable with a good school system?
What exactly are you referring to when you say "Progressive"?

Old 11-14-2009, 09:53 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,379,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenacioust View Post
I'm well aware of the overall state of our country, thanks.
Packing up and moving is a BIG deal.
Your leaving a life, friends, family, church, a neighborhood.
Moving is especially hard on children. And your doing this for financial reasons yet you show little interest in employment.
For the sake of your children I hope you got that handled.
With the exception of location our family is carbon copy of yours. Were in the middle of doing what your planning.
Good luck. It's allot of work.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:52 PM

4 posts, read 21,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by powellinwr View Post
Georgia is a very conservative state. I would not think some one with liberal views from New York would want to move to Ga. In GA when yankees move here, they are then called "D***ed Yankees"...
But they are usually the stupid ones- Besides Us Yankees already learned in school that YANKEE is Latin for WE WON

Old 11-17-2009, 08:48 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb2seo View Post
But they are usually the stupid ones- Besides Us Yankees already learned in school that YANKEE is Latin for WE WON
Cute...and some people think that southerners are the ones still fighting the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia