Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,366 times

Advertisements

I have searched and searched in this forum for the best place to move in Georgia. I would like your honest opinions. I work from home so I don't need to commute anywhere. My husband will need to find a job but we will let him figure that part out. In regards to my family composition. We are latinos (not necessarily looking for this demographic in the area) we have three children 11yr, 9yr and 2yrs. I would like a place where there are good schools, a home town feel and a place where we can call home for a long time to come. I have seen in the post where some areas are more prejudice than others. I don't want to be in those areas. I would like a nice area where the people are nice and we are not looked at by the color of our skin (actually my kids look white.) I am worried of ending up in a town where we are going to feel miserable. We are coming from Orlando and tired of the city feel. Any thoughts as to where to go? From what I have read so far I am looking at Covington, Peachtree City and Powder Springs. But your thoughts are highly valuable. Thank you in advance.

Jessica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 11:54 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
Well, I'm not sure your husband will like the "I'll let him figure that part out on his own" part regarding getting a job.

In terms of being around a lot of other Latinos, Gwinnett County is the center for that if that's what you're looking for. But some areas of Gwinnett have fairly decent crime, too. Further North of there however in Suwanee, you'll find a more family-friendly yet somewhat diverse area, not far from the International stuff, and not super far (relatively speaking) from Atlanta.

Powder Springs (where I live) is becoming more diverse. Has slid down a bit over the years but it's not a horrible place to live. Latinos/Hispanics are accepted here so long as you speak English (obviously you do) and respect your neighbors (would apply to anyone). Home prices are generally cheaper here than many other metro area places. Commuting into the city is a bit hairy, though.

Smyrna is a diverse area with a number of Latinos and other mixed folks throughout the area (more expensive than the above two, though). Closer to Atlanta for jobs and city stuff. One option to consider.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:48 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Greg gave some good suggestions. I think Powder Springs and Smyrna/Northwest side of Atlanta might be better than Gwinnett. Suwanee/Buford area is growing and I don't think there would be a great deal of ethnic prejudice--but I cannot be certain.

If your DH ends up working downtown or at Lenox/Buckhead the commute from the northwest is less of a hassle than a commute from Suwanee/Buford.

Old 05-26-2009, 05:49 AM

2 posts, read 8,366 times
Thank you very much for the information. I appreciate it. It's not so much of having to be in an area where there are Latinos. It's more of wanting to be in an area where there will be less discrimination. So I do appreciate all the information you have provided to me. Powder Springs was an area that we were looking at. We were including Convington (only one side not sure basing it on the schools), Gainesville, Douglasville and a few others. I will definitely check into Suwanee and Buford.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:32 AM

593 posts, read 2,893,334 times
Another suggestion for buford, dacula, and suwannee (if you can afford to be closer in)

Old 05-26-2009, 08:17 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
don't move. no jobs. if your husband has a job now, stay put.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:33 PM

10 posts, read 76,880 times
We left our home in the mountains North or Gainesville in White County after 20 yrs due to job cuts. We were and are sick about having to move. Our home is for sale and we are trying to make it in Texas. If your huby has a job STAY PUT!. There are no jobs in the area you are looking. Also Georgia will give a job to a native before an outsider. If you aint from there you are an outsider. I know from exp. Of course the same holds true in lists of states.
Best to you!
Ga Mountian Girl

Old 05-26-2009, 03:30 PM

16 posts, read 53,132 times
If i was you i would not move here people say gwinnett is great but its bad i live here and im latino and people look down on us im moving away from this racist state and you husbend will have a hard time finding a job the unemployment rate is at 9.3 and expecting to hit 11.6 so if i wa you i will try another state georgia is not the state for latinos!!!

Old 05-26-2009, 06:22 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times
Here we go again. I'm not going to tell you not to move here because I know you won't listen. So just move here and in 7 months post how you can't find a job and how terrible Ga is. That seems to be the thing to do round here.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:36 PM

63 posts, read 284,654 times
I do agree that you should make sure of employment before you commit to moving anywhere. I've only lived in the Harris-Meriwether-Troup-Muscogee county area and would not move here hoping for diversity. Columbus in Muscogee County would be your best bet, but even then...that is one of the reasons my husband and I want to move out of this area.
I love Savannah and it has a lot of character and diversity but crime is supposed to be pretty bad. I love a lot of little towns up in the mountains like Blairsville but I don't know how diverse they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia