Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 05:45 PM

8 posts, read 39,767 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband and I are thinking of moving to the Valdosta Georgia area, we are big into riding when the weather permits(we are from Rhode Island) we are just wondering how the riding population is in Georgia. Thanks Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 06:33 PM

283 posts, read 1,191,981 times
Lots!!! During bike week you will see several thousand stopped at the little bitty town of Willacoochee (30-45mins away) enjoying the local flavor at No Name Bar and Grill. Seriously that's the name of both and even though it still has a dirt floor; Louis Grizzard thought enough about it to mention it in a couple of his books. One hit wonders, The River (country band) also find thier roots there. I'm sure you'll get several hits off this thread.

If you don't like the hick like mentatility; not to worry the appearance of it is mostly what you find, and even then it is just for show. You will find plenty of Harley riders all throughout the region; many of which have no hick mentatility at all, and also you will find that the only time you really can't ride is during the occasional thunderstorm thats pops up out of no where. Just pull under some shelter for about 15 minutes and you are good to go again. It is rarely cold enough there to worry about keeping it stored away for the season. An odd cold snap (below 50) generally only happens a couple of times a year and never last long. If you don't like to ride in the heat on the other hand, then you may find yourself selling your Harley because temps near 100+ are not uncommon. Even though Vadosta is a long ways from the beach you still the Gulf Coast breeze to help ease the heat exhaustion. Hope your gear isn't the all popular black, second degree burns against raw skin from the gas tank would not be unheard of. I lived in the area for many years and plan to go back. Even though some of the above may make it sound bad, it is something you can adjust to and throughly love the area even with the heat and humidity. Mosquitos aka "skeeters" are huge and will literally tote you off in the early morning and at dusk. They are of course still seen at other times of the day but if you can manage to stay indoors during the 30-45 minutes they are at thier worst you may never really even notice just how bad they are. Way to many good things to offer to you in comparison to the bad but these things seem to bother new people the most not knowing how to avoid or properly deal with the situation. I know you'll love it there, I prefer it to California where I also get to ride year round.

Last edited by pickleswanson; 04-09-2007 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: missing words

Old 04-09-2007, 10:02 PM

61 posts, read 355,301 times
Default Angel City

Angel City near Unadilla in south Georgia was built specifically for bikers.

http://www.angelcityrally.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: