Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 02:01 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,409,388 times

Advertisements

I'm a single 39 year old male looking to get out of California after 20 yrs out here. I like college towns in the South b/c of milder climates, character of the houses and main streets, college sports, and lower house prices. What do you think about Athens for me? How about vs. Tally, Fayetteville and Asheville?

I like the outdoors (hiking, canoeing), golf, college hoops, I'm educated, I have a telecomuting type job so finding a job would not be my issue. I would like to buy a craftsman type home in the downtown area. I would probably spend the June through Sept in Seattle or Portland and October to late May in Athens (or the other towns). Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 03:06 PM

593 posts, read 2,894,654 times
Tallahassee is a dump.
Athens is ok. Not really all that charming IMO but there is a river for canoeing, hiking and golf too.

Fayateville, I know nothing about. Asheville is a popular destination and a lot of work from home computer people seem to be moving there. It's beautiful. Not really a college town, more like a wannabe aspen except without the snow... expensive, lots of tourists.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:33 PM

Athens is not a far drive North to the moutains though right? Seems like there would be a lot of outdoor recreation up that way. I have not been to Fayetteville, but it is close to the Ozark Mnts which I hear are very beautiful. But I favor Athens b/c proximity to Atlanta and coast over Fayetteville. What is Athens about a 3 hr drive to the ocean?

Is there a 30-40 something crowd in Athens or is it all college kids? 30-something single females?

Old 06-01-2009, 09:07 PM

Athens to the n. georgia blue ridge mountains is not that bad of a drive. About 45-60 mins. OK you're talking about fayatteville, AR. I was thinking NC. We also have a fayatteville here in GA but I didn't think it was that one. I know nothing about any of them.

Athens is actually quite far from the BEACH. About 6 hours drive Charleston or There are no direct interstates so it takes a while. The coastline in Georgia is marshes and is not accessible. When people in metro atlanta want to go to the beach they normally go to the florida panhandle beaches which is about 4-5 hours by car.

I am not familiar with the demographics of athens but it is not that sophisiticated of a place and is not what I would consider charming then again I struggle to recall being in a college town that was.. From what I gather it is primarily people that work for the university or in industries supported by the university e.g. pizza parlors.

Last edited by Shagbark Hickory; 06-01-2009 at 09:18 PM..

Old 06-02-2009, 08:31 AM

Thanks Shagbark that is good info. I didn't realize how far Athens was from the Coast. Yes talking about Fayetteville Arkansas.

I do think some college towns have a lot of charm and they ususally bring a little more sophistication to a town then your normal town of that size because what the university draws (not just the students, but educated people, research, events, etc...). Places like Boulder CO, Charlottesville VA, Burlington VT, Madison WI come to mind as larger college towns having some charm.

I guess I just have to visit Athens to see it for myself. Low house prices are a very BIG draw of Georgia. Maybe I should be considering Atlanta? I could always get my college hoops fix going to Georgia Tech games. I just generally don't hear good things about Atlanta.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I just generally don't hear good things about Atlanta.
What are the not-good things you are hearing about atlanta? I will tell you if they are true or not if I know.

One solution is to live in between athens and atlanta. There are some nice small cities in between. Dacula, Auburn and Winder come to mind. Winder is home to the Fort Yargo State Park.

I like outdoor activities too such as hiking, camping and canoeing and I grew up on the beach and would love to be closer to one. If I could start over career wise, I'm pretty sure I'd be in the Washington DC area. I'm impressed with the recreational opportunities as well as being a 2 hour train ride to NYC or a cheap $89 airfare home to florida. The housing prices are higher than in georgia but not extreme. For a while they were extreme but it all came crashing down. Culturally and politically it's a good sampling but much more moderated. There are some cities in northern and western Virginia as well as MD and PA that are "charming" by anyone's standards. And there are a number of colleges there.

You could drive up to some charming new england town in just several hours- if that. Heck you could spend the day there and turn around go home.
So I would check out that area if I were you. I think you'll find it's got a lot of what you're looking for.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:54 PM

24 posts, read 84,689 times
ctr88

IMO Athens is not as bad as Shagbark is making it out to be....it's all subjective. I think some of it just depends on personal experience, etc.

Athens does cater a lot to UGA of course, but there is also a lot of diversity ~ a great music scene, plenty to do outdoors & some great restaurants. There are a lot of bars downtown & football season is crazy...there are times when you may not like it & times when you realize that it is all part of what makes Athens what it is. I think it will all depend on the type of people you befriend and of course that would be the case any where you go.

I was able to make it from Athens to Savannah in 4 hours flat...Tybee Island is only 20 minutes or so further. Although Tybee Island is not the prettiest beach I've ever seen, it is quaint in its own way and Savannah is beautiful. You should also be able to make it to Hilton Head Island, SC or Charleston, SC in 5 to 5 1/2 hours.

If employment is not a concern then Athens, as far as the cost of living goes, would be a lot better than suburbs closer in to Atlanta.

I've been to Asheville and I think it is absolutely beautiful....the downtown area is very artsy & unique - I really loved it! Cost of living as far as buying is much higher than Athens....not sure about renting.

Good luck in your search!

Old 06-02-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenB2912 View Post
ctr88

IMO Athens is not as bad as Shagbark is making it out to be....it's all subjective.
I didn't say athens was bad.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:51 PM

214 posts, read 900,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Athens to the n. georgia blue ridge mountains is not that bad of a drive. About 45-60 mins. OK you're talking about fayatteville, AR. I was thinking NC. We also have a fayatteville here in GA but I didn't think it was that one. I know nothing about any of them.

Athens is actually quite far from the BEACH. About 6 hours drive Charleston or There are no direct interstates so it takes a while. The coastline in Georgia is marshes and is not accessible. When people in metro atlanta want to go to the beach they normally go to the florida panhandle beaches which is about 4-5 hours by car.

I am not familiar with the demographics of athens but it is not that sophisiticated of a place and is not what I would consider charming then again I struggle to recall being in a college town that was.. From what I gather it is primarily people that work for the university or in industries supported by the university e.g. pizza parlors.
You are wrong about the GA Coast. I live in Savannah and we have great beaches here. Tybee Island is a very popular beach which is 15 minutes from Savannah. St. Simons Island and Jekyll island have great beaches as well. All are accessible with bridges. That's amazing isn't it.

I drive to Athens from Savannah to football games and it is a 3 to 4 hour drive. Get your facts straight before you post.

Old 06-02-2009, 06:57 PM

214 posts, read 900,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
I'm a single 39 year old male looking to get out of California after 20 yrs out here. I like college towns in the South b/c of milder climates, character of the houses and main streets, college sports, and lower house prices. What do you think about Athens for me? How about vs. Tally, Fayetteville and Asheville?

I like the outdoors (hiking, canoeing), golf, college hoops, I'm educated, I have a telecomuting type job so finding a job would not be my issue. I would like to buy a craftsman type home in the downtown area. I would probably spend the June through Sept in Seattle or Portland and October to late May in Athens (or the other towns). Thanks!!!

Athens is a very charming area with many craftsman cottages and homes in old neighborhoods. It has an incredible downtown shopping - restaurant scene. People walking in downtown all the time.

As far as outdoor, you will be able to hike and canoe in many places. Many rivers and creeks near by and the mountains are just right up the road to the north.

You will be in college sports heaven in Athens. Football is king but UGA has a top 5 Athletics department in the nation. The hoops program is getting a major investment right now and has a new coaching staff that people are very optimistic about.

I would not reccommend Tallhassee. Doesn't have the college town feel.

Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia