U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2009, 10:56 AM

5 posts, read 37,453 times

Advertisements

Well my parents want to move to GA from FL, but are finding it difficult to find a cheap house that is in a nice and safe neighborhood that offers a great deal of home rentals.

The ideal place:
1. Easy to get employment or near a place that has many employment opportnities
2. Good schools
3. Nice people
4. Low crime rate
5. Country atmosphere

We're looking for a three bedroom between $400-$800 monthly.

Some places we have ruled out:
Savannah
Valdosta
Moultrie
Albany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 01:31 PM

117 posts, read 462,971 times
Columbus Georgia would be my choice. It is a safe community, with a stable and growing economy and excellent school system. Its a big city but it still has a country feel especially in East Columbus and in the Midland area, then there is Harris County to the north and Russell and Lee Counties to the west in Alabama.

If you are looking for somewhere in South Georgia.. perhaps Thomasville, in Thomas County, or even Leesburg in Lee County just outside of Albany.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:36 PM

63 posts, read 258,604 times
I would recommend Harris County, just north of Columbus. It is close enough to work In Columbus (or possibly LaGrange.) Columbus isn't a positive for employment though, it will depend on what your parents do and I would definitely recommend them having employment before they move. Muscogee County, which Columbus is located in, is nice enough but much less country...if you do Muscogee County you'll want the North end, which is also usually most expensive.
Winder and Commerce up near Athens are also very nice, but I've never lived there so I don't know much about the community, job market, etc.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:34 PM

199 posts, read 571,141 times
why did you rule out moultrie??

Old 06-08-2009, 08:37 PM

214 posts, read 835,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi954 View Post
Well my parents want to move to GA from FL, but are finding it difficult to find a cheap house that is in a nice and safe neighborhood that offers a great deal of home rentals.

The ideal place:
1. Easy to get employment or near a place that has many employment opportnities
2. Good schools
3. Nice people
4. Low crime rate
5. Country atmosphere

We're looking for a three bedroom between $400-$800 monthly.

Some places we have ruled out:
Savannah
Valdosta
Moultrie
Albany
Oconee County GA - Suburb of Athens, GA. Look into it.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:04 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,457,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepayne View Post
i can only guess the $400-$800/mo rental in a 'nice and safe' neighborhood in a country atmosphere.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepayne View Post
High crime rate. People are only nice to you if you are white and/or rich. And let's not forget the gossiping backstabbers. I just hope I can get out before I lose my sanity. Wish I'd never heard of Moultrie, GA. If possible I'd move to the other side of the earth in the southern hemisphere just to get as far away as I could.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 PM

4 posts, read 4,504 times
Is this area good for rentals? My husband and I are looking to relocate to Georgia from New York. If not can you recommend some safe, quiet, low crime areas that are known for affordable rents. We prefer to rent before we purchase.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:23 AM

1,839 posts, read 1,654,025 times
Oconee county is a GO for good schools, low crime, nice people, country setting. I would have employment before coming though. The county is fairly wealthy, but I am guessing a lot of the employment is actually in other counties. The other thing that might be tough is the $400-$800 rent on a 3 bedroom house. Your want list doesn't match up with that kind of housing cost, at least not in Oconee. But definitely check it out - it fits a lot of your criteria nicely.

Old 07-26-2013, 05:42 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,674,103 times
Areas of Houston County fit this bill well. Good schools, low crime, safe, close to the employment centers of Macon and Warner Robins and country settings can be found especially across the southern half of the county. Your budget is the tough part. I doubt you will find many 3br homes on the lower end of your budget that aren't trailers but the upper end should open up a few options, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia