Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 04:24 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NihonKitty View Post
Deacon, isnt that why I asked her what race her husband was...? LoL.

Also "latino" are not "spanish speaking people"..all speakers of romance or "latin" languages are "latin". Which is why brazilians who speak portuguese are "latino" but not "hispanic". In Europe Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Romania etc are "latin".
I didn't say that "latino" is ONLY Spanish-speaking people...but that in the U.S. it generally refers to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2009, 09:31 PM

32 posts, read 85,539 times
OMG people get out once in a while, this is not 1962. Nobody in GA will care where your husband or your child is from. Believe me. Nobody cares. There are people from all over the world living in this state. We don't care.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:12 AM

600 posts, read 1,074,052 times
I know this may come as a shocker, but it's not the 1800s anymore. We have progressed just a little up here.

Racism exists everywhere, that's never going to change. However, I would say that Atlanta and the surrounding metro area is a lot more diverse, culturally, than people give us credit for.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 13,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
How ironic is this posting?
You can now add Harry Reid to the pile. Anyone notice a double standard? Yes, liberals DO use the race card more often than conservatives and when their caught doing it and also caught being racist..they tend to excuse it, deny it, and defend it. Republicans tend to apologize and then resign. That's not just another steroetype but I am afraid Bit Twiddler..a dose of unfortunate inconvenient reality...but you go ahead and believe what you will...keep skirting the issue..seems the evidence this past year is on my side...perhaps we should sit down and have a beer and discuss it?

Old 01-11-2010, 01:40 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonT View Post
You can now add Harry Reid to the pile. Anyone notice a double standard? Yes, liberals DO use the race card more often than conservatives and when their caught doing it and also caught being racist..they tend to excuse it, deny it, and defend it. Republicans tend to apologize and then resign. That's not just another steroetype but I am afraid Bit Twiddler..a dose of unfortunate inconvenient reality...but you go ahead and believe what you will...keep skirting the issue..seems the evidence this past year is on my side...perhaps we should sit down and have a beer and discuss it?
You seem to have totally missed the point of my comment.

The fact that you made a sweeping generalization about a large and varied group of people and then called for an end to stereotyping (which is a form of sweeping generalization) seemed both amusing and contradictory to me.

I see race being bandied about both in politics and in this forum far more than it should be, and seemingly by folks of all political persuasions. Liberals, conservatives, black, brown, white ... I've seen folks from all races and all walks of life do it, or so it seems.

I personally think it's a reflection on each individual, not the region in the political spectrum they happen to occupy, since the folks who seem to have these issues seem to be a decided minority* in all cases. Most people seem to be able to avoid such behavior regardless of political persuasion.

* (And I mean "minority" as in "small percentage", not something alluding to race ... just to be clear...)

Old 01-11-2010, 03:58 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,318,312 times
Hey my fellow Georgians we have lost this thread repeatedly. All the OP wanted to know was how HER family would fare in the areas she was looking at. She did not intend to debate the definition of racism and whether it still exists or not. Obviously, she knew the answers to both of those questions. She is just worried about her family. Come on. You will be fine, even welcomed by most.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:13 AM

21 posts, read 66,258 times
We have great family friends that consist of a Jewish father and a Brazilian mother and their daughter, who is my wife's best friend. They have all loved living in Atlanta since the girl was a toddler, who had a great childhood with many great friends.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,056 times
I'm moving to Marietta,GA in March 2010...My main concern is GA racism toward African American...Nothing personal butI like here the answer from same race please

Old 01-24-2010, 11:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,056 times
Is it racism in Mairetta,GA toward blacks

Old 01-26-2010, 06:36 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,386 times
lol, where do some of these posts come from?
Shelly, as someone has already said, this is not the 1800s any more....and you can find racism anywhere...It's not like being in Marietta you have to be on the look out for mean stares, comments and treatment.

I'm black and from a smaller metro, Macon, and most of my family is from rural (some VERY rural) counties down an hour or so below Macon. Even in those, 1 high school, no mall, maybe not even a wal-mart type of counties and towns.......still everything is cool. If you act like you have sense, you'll be treated likewise, generally speaking.

With as scared as some people seem of even the urban areas in this state, simply for being in the south, I imagine you all think burning crosses and seeing white guys in sheets is still common in the rural parts. Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia