U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 12:51 PM

4 posts, read 26,243 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to GA ......Lagrange or Newnan? I am currently in a small southern town in a neighboring state (about 16,000 people). Can anyone tell me about schools? ( I have a 6th grader , 8th grader and Kindergarten) . Any info on quality of living, things to do , shopping, restaurants but especially the schools between the two. Or if there is anywhere else within 60 miles of Lagrange as that is where my husband will work. We want to go somewhere bigger than 15,000. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 7,711 times
Lagrange would be better for your husband and to be honest newnan's school system isnt the best. but on one hand newnan has everything you want and they're building more. newnan is bigger but lagrange is the same thing.. less people is all. plus the lake kicks ass compaired to newnan's golf courses and historic city sites. kids would love the lake.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:53 PM

539 posts, read 1,925,680 times
Default Some really great web sites

First I would like to say that I do not live in Georgia. I am currently doing the research myself. I have two children in elementary school and Newnan is one of the towns in which we are considering moving to. Through all of my research and speaking with people who live there I have gained a lot of valuable information. There seem to be some really great schools in Coweta county as well as some pretty poor schools. I have been going to Georgia's Department of Education web site as well as greatschools.net and schoolmatters.com. You find find state and national test scores, demographics, facts on teachers and actual parent's reviews of the individual schools. One piece of advice that I can offer is to do the research very carefully. I was surprised at the differences in the schools within the same district.

Good luck!

Old 04-12-2007, 09:30 PM

What have you found out about the 3 high schools or have you looked at those since your children are younger? I am leaning toward Coweta County as opposed to Lagrange (Troup Co. ) . If I find any interesting information I will pass it along and if you would do the same that would be great. I do think we will be moving and if so it will be by July. So I only have a little time to research. Thanks and good luck.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:45 PM

5 posts, read 20,737 times
I would like to say that most counties have good, as well as, poor performing schools. Arbor Springs Ele. is a wonderful school. It has recently earned an award for it's rise in excellence. I am an agent in real estate in and around this area and I live in Newnan. I think that if you are looking for a great place to live, Coweta County is it. Coweta County has it's own website www.accesscoweta.com. It has everything you need to know. It will even tell you what the schools are having for lunch, what is happening in town, movies that are showing. You should definately see the website. This is a wonderful city.

Janna

Old 05-16-2007, 04:37 PM

5 posts, read 36,861 times
Default Split the difference!

I encourage you to split the difference and look at the small towns between LaGrange and Newnan...especially my hometown of Grantville!

Grantville Elementary school is excellent (opened 2004) and the older kids here attend Smokey Road Middle and Newnan High. The town of Moreland also has an elementary school and I think they also go to Smokey Road and Newnan High. In Troup County, Hogansville is very convenient to Lagrange (there is a quick 'back route' for commuters) but I don't know much about the schools. Luthersville also has a brand new elementary school, but again, I don't know about the other schools (Luthersville is in Meriwether County.) I think of the three counties, Coweta and Troup are probably pretty well matched in terms of school system funding and age of the schools, but Coweta might have a slight edge just because we're growing so fast.

I operate a community website at http://www.grantville.net and would be happy to answer questions about this area. One thing I can tell you for sure is that you will find homes are MUCH more affordable "in between" than in either Newnan or LaGrange. Both are beautiful cities, but both are also county seats and commercial centers, and real estate is priced accordingly.

The great thing about Grantville is that you get the best of all worlds..easy work commute to Newnan or LaGrange, and easy drive for recreation in Columbus, Atlanta, and elsewhere.

- Kim

Old 05-19-2007, 03:46 PM

6 posts, read 36,747 times
Newnan is going to be your best choice, if you want a larger city. There are plenty of small towns convenient to LaGrange, but that doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

Last edited by jxu66; 05-19-2007 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: remove advertisment

Old 05-19-2007, 04:37 PM

539 posts, read 1,925,680 times
Default A very late response

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugo44 View Post
What have you found out about the 3 high schools or have you looked at those since your children are younger? I am leaning toward Coweta County as opposed to Lagrange (Troup Co. ) . If I find any interesting information I will pass it along and if you would do the same that would be great. I do think we will be moving and if so it will be by July. So I only have a little time to research. Thanks and good luck.
Wow, I am so sorry. I think this question was directed at me and I just noticed this?

I can say that Northgate High School seems to be the best hands down. I have found this from both the statistics and research I have conducted as well as speaking with various locals. We have decided that Newnan High School would also be a good choice. I had some people tell me to steer clear of Newnan High but I could never get a definitive answer as to why. From all of the test scores we have looked at we believe that this school looks like a good fit. Our main concern was staying within the Madras Middle School district. I can say that I was not impressed with the test scores of the other high schools.

I'm sorry for getting back to you so late!

Old 05-28-2007, 09:53 PM

Thank you for your helpful info. We are currently in a small town (approx. 12,000) . Our high school is about 500. So, I am anxious about moving my children to a large new area . The in between places will be on our list to look at. Thanks again. You were very helpful.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:36 PM

39 posts, read 167,891 times
Definitely Newnan. NO shopping in LaGrange. Newnan seems awesome. Traffic but at least decent shopping. UPscale stores. etc. LaGrange has NOTHING.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia