Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 10:51 PM

1 posts, read 13,228 times

Advertisements

this is mess with this tint law GA. THIS IS ANOTHER REASON FOR POLICE TO PULL U OVER.THE POLICE USE THIS TO ,PROFILE. SOMBODY NEEDS TO PUT A STOP TO THIS......they pulled me over K9, FOR TINT MY TINT WAS ONLY 35% , GA law IS 32% SO THAT MEANS ,IM LEGAL . KNOW THEY WANT TO SEARCH MY CAR. IS THAT RIGHT ?????????/

Last edited by pat28; 02-09-2010 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,120,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat28 View Post
this is mess with this tint law GA. THIS IS ANOTHER REASON FOR POLICE TO PULL U OVER.THE POLICE USE THIS TO ,PROFILE. SOMBODY NEEDS TO PUT A STOP TO THIS......they pulled me over K9, FOR TINT MY TINT WAS ONLY 35% , GA law IS 32% SO THAT MEANS ,IM LEGAL . KNOW THEY WANT TO SEARCH MY CAR. IS THAT RIGHT ?????????/
No, it's not a mess. It's very simple. You just have to know the law and make sure you stay within the parameters. A light meter designed for car windows is the simple method for validating.

The law states that "On windows to either side of driver or in back of vehicle, the light transmission restriction may not be less than 32%, plus or minus 3% or increase light reflectance more than 20%."

Since most OEM auto windows are already lightly factory tinted, when you apply the aftermarket tint as well, you often go below 32%. It's up to you and/or the person adding the tint to comply with the law.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:00 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,359,472 times
Factory window smoke is something like 20%, it varies from one car to another. However sub section D exempts them

The law also exempts all windows but the windshield and front 2 on utility vehicles - vans, suvs, trucks because technically, these vehicles may not even come with these windows (think cargo vans).

Medical exemption allows you to tap on another 10% of light block but in reality, you can go down as much as you want. Yet to hear of somebody with a med permit being hassled.

And lastly, they don't really care about the tint. It is just a reason to pull you over and to fish for other things. If that ruins your day, well, there was something else they found. They can ask for consent to search for any reason at any time. You do not have to give it to them. If they had cause, they wouldn't ask you.

Have a great weekend and drive safely!

Old 02-14-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Factory window smoke is something like 20%, it varies from one car to another. However sub section D exempts them
The law expempts the factory tint itself, but not when you add an aftermarket tint ON TOP of the factory.

So an SUV with 20% is exempt if the windows are OEM from the factory, but a front driver window with 75% OEM with tint film ON TOP of the factory tint would not be exempt if it measured less than 32%.

This is ridiculously simple...for example: factory window is 75% which means that only three quarters of light passes through. Now if you add a 35% tint film on top of that, you will get only 75% of 35 or 26% and that would be in violation.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The law expempts the factory tint itself, but not when you add an aftermarket tint ON TOP of the factory.

So an SUV with 20% is exempt if the windows are OEM from the factory, but a front driver window with 75% OEM with tint film ON TOP of the factory tint would not be exempt if it measured less than 32%.

This is ridiculously simple...for example: factory window is 75% which means that only three quarters of light passes through. Now if you add a 35% tint film on top of that, you will get only 75% of 35 or 26% and that would be in violation.
SUVs/Trucks (utility vehicles) are exempt. You can have them spray painted.

That is the point and that is why they can do this out of the factory in clear disregard to state regulations. and because you love to argue with imaginary laws, here you go:

(6) The rear windshield or the side or door windows, except those windows to the right and left of the driver of:
(A) A multipurpose passenger vehicle;
(B) A school bus, any other bus used for public transportation, and any bus or van owned or leased by any religious or any nonprofit organization duly incorporated under the laws of this state;
(C) Any limousine owned or leased by a public or private entity; or
(D) Any other vehicle, the windows or windshields of which have been tinted or darkened before factory delivery or permitted by federal law or regulation; or
(7) Any law enforcement vehicle.

although i must say, i had quite the chuckle on your logic about how film over factory tint makes something illegal, especially since i already told you factory tint is below the 32% vlt.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
SUVs/Trucks (utility vehicles) are exempt. You can have them spray painted.
You're wrong...period, so either admit it or drop it.

The factory windows are exempted because they are covered under federal statutes and regulations which trump state laws and regulations. However, anything you add AFTERMARKET to your vehicle is not exempt.

If your windows come from the factory with great than 32% VLT and you add aftermarket tint that reduces the VLT to below 32%...IT IS ILLEGAL...PERIOD.

OMG....

Old 02-19-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
You're wrong...period, so either admit it or drop it.

The factory windows are exempted because they are covered under federal statutes and regulations which trump state laws and regulations. However, anything you add AFTERMARKET to your vehicle is not exempt.

If your windows come from the factory with great than 32% VLT and you add aftermarket tint that reduces the VLT to below 32%...IT IS ILLEGAL...PERIOD.

OMG....
Do you have a malfunction with reading the above? Perhaps you would like to call the ga legislature and explain how they wrong in whatever way you are imagining.

Factory smoke is already at 15-20% so what are you ranting about bringing it down to under 32? How do you suspect you can do that?

On utility vehicles it doesnt matter what they come with out of the factory. You can put whatever you want as per the above section of the ga law.

You amuse me.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Factory smoke is already at 15-20% so what are you ranting about bringing it down to under 32? How do you suspect you can do that?
I'm referring to the passenger windows that come from the factory above 32%, and ask a cop....you cannot black out your back windows just because the factory tint is 20%. You will get a ticket. Aftermarket additions are NOT expempted, only the factory tint is exempted.

Quote:
You amuse me.
You don't amuse me. You annoy me. This is my last attempt to communicate reasonably in the this thread. I'm done with it.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I'm referring to the passenger windows that come from the factory above 32%, and ask a cop....you cannot black out your back windows just because the factory tint is 20%. You will get a ticket. Aftermarket additions are NOT expempted, only the factory tint is exempted.
which factory tinted windows are above 32%? Show me. Once you realize your screw up on this one (hell might freeze by then though) we can proceed to the next subpoint of GA law.

and you have comprehension issues ( many but i dont generally bother). utility vehicles rear and back windshield are exempt in GA regardless how they came from the factory.

It is there for you to read. How thick can you be?

Section 6a. Not to be confused with 6d mr lawyer.

It is not my fault your lack of logic and understanding annoys you when you are presented with.. sigh.. public statutes as proof to your deficiency on the subject. At least do people a favor and dont try to teach them about it.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:15 AM

705 posts, read 1,105,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat28 View Post
We're not going to know if your windows are 32% or more or less until we pull you over and check them. If we see a window that is tinted that's called "reasonable articulabe suspicion" which means there is a need to investigate further. We'll pull that vehicle over and check the windows. The window tint statute was enacted by the legislators, if someone has an issue with it they need to get with them, they're elected.

As for the K9, if a stop is made for a legitimate reason, there is no expection of privacy regarding the ambient air around the vehicle, so what the K9 sniffs is just like what the officers sees in plain sight. If it's problematic for you, get with your legislators or judges, both who are elected officials.

If you're worried about getting pulled over keep your vehicle street legal and don't commit any moving violations. As far as profiling, when all these people call to complain about it, (I get the complaints as the shift Lieutenant) the first thing I look at is why they were stopped in the first place. It's always for a violation they committed. I've written over 15,000 tickets in my time and made over 3,000 arrests, none of which were pretextual. Yes, we profile, we profile people comitting crimes and violations. Don't do either and you'll be OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia