U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 12,523 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I have a big problem with my new horse! He's a 9 year old who has forgot his groundwork. He will load, ride, even somewhat let you hold his feet be he show signs of being beaten. I have had him for 2 months and would love to keep him. " I have finely got him back in shape again" But I have a child and what to make should Lemon will be safe for my son to pet and love on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 08:35 AM

238 posts, read 620,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEMON&SPORT View Post

Hello all! I have a big problem with my new horse! He's a 9 year old who has forgot his groundwork. He will load, ride, even somewhat let you hold his feet be he show signs of being beaten. I have had him for 2 months and would love to keep him. " I have finely got him back in shape again" But I have a child and what to make should Lemon will be safe for my son to pet and love on.
Try Blue Springs Farm in Forsyth County. Marcy Blue is excellent for horse training. good Luck

Old 04-16-2007, 07:41 PM

4,585 posts, read 11,262,833 times
I can HIGHLY recomend my trainer

Kathy Johnson located in Jefferson, GA

Please PM me if you want her info.

She has a degree in Animal Science and has been working with problem horses for 30 years.

Even the other trainers user

Old 10-29-2007, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 6,325 times
i could help with that. i work with rehabilitating horses and im cheep.
i am a highschool student trying to break into the training world. but already have alot of experence. please e-mail me at {Removed by Moderator}: Please tell people to contact you via private site mail here if interested - do not post personal emails or phone numbers in the public rooms. Thank you. if your interested.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-22-2008 at 01:14 PM..

Old 11-19-2007, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,294 times
I would not go with a highschool student. Although there are many highschool and college students that are good with horses, if this is a horse with serious ground problems and a possible abusive past, you want someone that has delt with horses similar on mutiple occasions.

I own a rehab center in Franktown, Colorado, where we have several trainers that all have very different techniques to working with horses. We have horses that are as abused as it gets, and the only way people can catch them is by roping them in the pasture like cattle. Then we have horses come in and there only problem is trailer loading. Give me 30 days, and i could have your guy fixed

If your interested my e-mail is {Removed by Moderator}: Please tell people to contact you via private site mail here if interested - do not post personal emails or phone numbers in the public rooms. Thank you. My Cell phone is currently broken

- Mallory

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-22-2008 at 01:14 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 6,230 times
Default Horse in need of ground manners.

Did you find a suitable trainer for your horse yet? If not I have a trainer in mind that is in your area. He is in Mansfield GA and has trained horses for over 60 years he is also a corrective farrier.. Write if you want his number {Removed by Moderator}: Please tell people to contact you via private site mail here if interested - do not post personal emails or phone numbers in the public rooms. Thank you.
I am also a trainer and have been for years but am in the Perry area sorry did not write sooner but busy with the holidays.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-22-2008 at 01:15 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 09:53 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,865,076 times
I can tell you how to do it yourself and save a bundle of money. Send me a PM or just post say so here and I'll put it right here.

By the way, I agree that someone in high school "and cheep" may be well intentioned, but like everything else, you get what you pay for.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,068 times
Default We can help!!!

Quote:

My husband and I have a training facility in Springville,Iowa. We have life long horse experience and have horse science technology degree's. Breeding and training have been in my genes since befor I was born! We have had dozens and dozens of trouble/abused horses. We have one right now in for training! Please e-mail me for more information and pricing, I'm sure you will be pleased! {Removed by Moderator}: Please tell people to contact you via private site mail here if interested - do not post personal emails or phone numbers in the public rooms. Thank you.I can also get you references about us if you would like.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 07-22-2008 at 01:15 PM..

Old 05-30-2008, 07:12 PM

4 posts, read 32,127 times
Default Son isn't really safe.

Horses who have been beaten respond abnormally at times--particularly when something/anything triggers an old memory/defense. Like people.
A young person usually is a whirlybird of voice and movement. Unexpected voice/tone/loudness and unexpected movement(s) and unexpected sights such as a piece of a board or sign or stick or blowing paper trigger the horse unexpectedly as you know, so the son must be taught how to never
surprise the horse. For the next few years only allow your son to be close to the horse if you are supervising. Supervise but let him learn/see/sense when the horse might kick, bite, bolt, or generally be aggressive, just as
a neglected/mistreated child might "freak out" unnecessarily. The old defenses are hard to get over for the horse as with the beaten/mistreated child. Over time as the horse learns to trust again and the defenses fade you'll be able to tell when your son will probably be safe. No one is ever
100 percent safe with horses is the best philosophy to have. An ideal horse in mind could stumble and fall on someone accidentally. Teach your
son to handle the horse one step at a time and it'll help the horse learn your son's movement patterns/styles. Boys moves so quickly and erratically. One reason horses often don't like to be around small ponies is
because the ponies can move so quickly and unexpectedly that the horses
feel vulnerable to harm---they have predators in their brain/memories and will even spook at shadows that they feel threatened by.
Take him over to the Ga international horse park when you can so he can
be inspired by the other guys on horses. Most of the shows there are free to attend. Carry your own snacks/picnic lunch. Why not?? They have a website that has an events calendar (if you didn't know). Happy
trails.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 5,952 times
Quote:

Try rewarding your horse when he does something you want him to do and work with him gently but firm so he knows you mean business once you work with him he will realize that you are not out to hurt and he will begin to trust you. Once you gain his trust you can pretty much do anything with him as far as ground work. Most of the horses I have trained and work with simular backgrounds I now can do anything to. Trust is the key to a good relationship.Treats are always a good positive way to get a horse to behave just like you would if you were trying to teach a puppy a new trick...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or