U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2006, 11:39 PM

3 posts, read 8,051 times

Advertisements

We just signed a contract on a house located in covington that we are rieally excited about. My wife is retiring from the MD public school system, but I'm not as fortunate. I'm in Information Technology (IT). Are there any areas that IT jobs are more concentrated in. I'm almost sure that I will have to commute to Atlanta. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2006, 07:30 PM

10 posts, read 28,343 times
Covington is about 45/1 hour commute. It's normal here. The suburbs are fantastic and little crime. It's the trade off from high prices and more crime downtown - where many of the IT jobs are.
I hope that helps.

Last edited by Marka; 02-18-2006 at 12:58 AM..

Old 02-23-2006, 03:41 PM

4 posts, read 14,155 times
There is Coca Cola, CNN, Equifax (I think its still here) the new GA Aquarium which is the largest aquarium in the world! and plenty of tech jobs in Atlanta. Covington is great and growing fast! It may feel you are stepping back in time a little, but you have the best of both worlds, the country and the city.
Good luck on your move!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:28 AM

12 posts, read 55,674 times
Default Covinington and IT

I moved to Lithonia from Silver Spring a year ago and I wish I had moved closer to the city. The tech jobs for the most part are north of the city (Dunwoody, Alpharetta) and that is where I found mine. The traffic down here is not good; my commute is an hour in the AM and 1.5 in the PM. If I take 78/285 on a good day at 6:30 a.m. I get there in an hour. Its 30 minutes on days when there is no traffic (like holidays) but that is as good as it gets. We are about to move to Norcross due to the traffic. Good luck!

Old 01-19-2007, 08:44 AM

985 posts, read 5,379,791 times
I agree with whispering. Most of IT jobs are located north side of town. I even hear that a lot of downtown business start moving to midtown area. Norcross, dunwoody, alpharatta and Marietta has some IT companies as well.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:47 AM

523 posts, read 2,668,543 times
Have you investigated the Ga Taxes? State income tax, Car tax, Property taxes, Sales tax? I am checking into it for my son in law he is moving to Ga
seems so much higher than florida.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:58 AM

12 posts, read 55,674 times
Default GA car tax

That is a big issue with me too since I've been here. I only paid $75 a year for my sticker in MD and when I got here it was $269! I just paid it again last week. Also, the county property taxes are about $3,000 in Cobb, more in Fulton. The cheaper is in DeKalb at about $1,650. Make sure he monitors his car payment too if he bought the car out of state; they try to tack on a fee if you bring in an out of state car in GA. I forgot what's it's called but I had to contact my leasor to get it straightened out.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:08 PM

6 posts, read 33,134 times
Regarding the car tax - what does that mean? inspection? registration? here in PA we have inspection due every year and registration due every year on vehicles - runs about 36$ for registration and inspection depends on what garage you go to... In Covington, GA - which is where we are looking to move - is the " car tax" paid every year....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia