Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 02:12 PM

14 posts, read 46,310 times

Advertisements

We *may* be moving to SE Georgia if my husband decides to take a position at FLETC. We'll be coming from Northern Virginia -- am I wrong to think that there might be a bit of culture shock for us? I'm looking forward to a better pace of life, but I know there can be some difficulty with a transition from a super-high-stress/traffic area to a more laid-back culture. Any pointers?

I've also been trying in vain to find out where other FLETC employees' families live. Where do most FLETC families live? Is there a 'community' there, or just disparate families spread out across the area?

I could only find a few local listings for residences for rent that weren't "vacation" homes. Please tell me I'm just missing a resource that I haven't found yet. How open is the local community to people moving into the area?

Would the local public schools be on par with what we're accustomed to in Fairfax County, or would I need to look at the private schools? We'll have a kindergartener and a second-grader when/if we go, but we'll also be re-entering the pressure-cooker of NoVa several years from now and I want to make sure my kids don't end up having difficulties in school when we come back north.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 10:42 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
this question comes up frequently.

try a search of this forum and you should find plenty of info.

Old 07-17-2009, 07:18 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Try this property management company. I find them very reliable; they have put a couple of FLETC families into my property, even though it's listed as a 'vacation rental'. They can negotiate a long-term lease for you.

www.hodnettcooper.com

St Simons Elementary is an excellent school.
SSI is about a 20 min commute to FLETC.
You'll love it there!

Old 07-17-2009, 10:57 AM

Default No luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
this question comes up frequently.

try a search of this forum and you should find plenty of info.

I did do many searches in this forum, but did not find answers to the specific questions I asked above.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:07 AM

5 posts, read 24,905 times
I am not sure what type of housing you are looking for, but we have a couple of beautiful condominums for rent for FLETC at The Waterfront. It is a beautiful community right over the JF Torras Causeway (convenient to Brunsiwck and I-95 as well as minutes from the beaches and downtown St Simons Island). It is surrounded by water (right beside the marina) and the views are magnificent. Also, there is a pool/amenity area with a summer kitchen which is nice for the family.

There are already several other FLETC with long term rentals living there. I am not sure how many of them have families, but I could find out.

You are welcome to visit our website at www.thewaterfrontatgoldenisles.com . If you would like to talk further, or would like to see the property or other photos, let me know. As far as the area, St Simons is a great place to live! The people are friendly, the pace of life is slower, but not too slow, and the area is beautiful with water, beaches, small local restaurants, etc. I have not been to Northern Virginia, so I do not know much in comparison.

I hope this is helpful! Good luck in your searches!

Old 07-23-2009, 05:54 PM

Thanks for the help. Those condos are gorgeous & I've already found a couple of rental properties at the hodnettcooper website that might fit the bill as well.

I guess we now have to just wait and see what happens with the job itself.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:40 PM

5 posts, read 24,905 times
Well just come by when you are in town and take a look at the model and I promise, you wont be disappointed in The Waterfront!

Good Luck in your searches!

Old 05-14-2010, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,675 times
Hi. Did your husband get the job at FLETC? I read your post and I am in the same situation! My husband may have a job there too. I wanted to see how everything worked out for you. I don't have kids, but am an Elementary school teacher. I would appreciate your help!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:17 PM

2 posts, read 9,413 times
hi, my husband has just taken a job at FLETC also. I am having some serious reservations about it. from what i have heard of the area, it is not that nice in brunswick and would be hard to sell a home one you buy one. I have an 8 mnth old girl and don't think we will be there long term. ugh. I need someone to make me feel better about this.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:59 AM

78 posts, read 368,024 times
I have several friends that grew up in the area and some still live in Brunswick / St. Simons. Brunswick does have a few nice areas and you should be able to get a deal on a home. I have a friend that has a home in a neighborhood near FLETC and they have had it on the market for a year. House prices have dropped in Brunswick, and on the island. We have been looking at homes on St. Simons and have found the prices have decreased. We looked several years ago and everything was out of our price range. Really look into the schools. Some are much better than others. The AJC just released the CRCT scores for all of Georgia. Check out the Glynn county school scores.
Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia