Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 09:06 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Atlanta is a huge magnet for refugees- LEGAL immigrants who often do not speak English. Not to mention the families of legal residents who may or may not speak English and are trying to learn. Making life uncomfortable for illegals also means making life very uncomfortable to those who we want to come.

In any case, it wasn't that long ago that I was tormented in school for my faith. While the KKK last attacked my home and family in the early 90s, the attitudes are still alive and well in many parts of the Atlanta metro. Citing the year is meaningless.
Not to discredit what your saying but I have lived in the metro area for the last 35 years and I can't recall hearing one news story involving the Klan attacking anyone in the last 20 years. What city was this in and were they actually Klan or some wannabe kids? Lastly what caused this to happen, did it concern your faith?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 05:52 PM

63 posts, read 95,956 times
In the town I live in (GA, duh), 2 men were arrested for making bombs and selling them to racist organizations for the purpose of killing illegal immigrants. It was in the newspaper. Ever since I moved to this state, I experienced so much racism that I never experienced when I was in New York. And this is from students, college professors, work, etc... There is something seriously wrong with this place. That's all I have to say.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusX View Post
In the town I live in (GA, duh), 2 men were arrested for making bombs and selling them to racist organizations for the purpose of killing illegal immigrants. It was in the newspaper. Ever since I moved to this state, I experienced so much racism that I never experienced when I was in New York. And this is from students, college professors, work, etc... There is something seriously wrong with this place. That's all I have to say.
Well then Delta is ready when you are!

Old 07-24-2009, 10:13 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobiusX View Post
And just exactly which part of the State would this be?

Funny how none of this ever made the news in Atlanta.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:16 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Atlanta is a huge magnet for refugees- LEGAL immigrants who often do not speak English. Not to mention the families of legal residents who may or may not speak English and are trying to learn. Making life uncomfortable for illegals also means making life very uncomfortable to those who we want to come.

In any case, it wasn't that long ago that I was tormented in school for my faith. While the KKK last attacked my home and family in the early 90s, the attitudes are still alive and well in many parts of the Atlanta metro. Citing the year is meaningless.
Funny how this was also never in the news. I have lived here for 23 years. Trust me when I tell you this - IF this indeed had actually have happened, every network in the civilized WORLD would have had satellite trucks up and down your block.

Sorry, but I don't buy this for one second.

Old 07-24-2009, 10:23 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,215 times
it used to be "illegal aliens", now it is immigrants. foot in the door usually works. did in europe and now they have a much worse problem than we do.

with that said, the Atlanta area had best be concerned with where they are going to get water from in 3 years. i am betting georgians will want a democratic governor and at least one democratic senator to get the democratic congress to give atlanta lake lanier water. keep watching that one folks.

in the meantime, i would not be making plans to move to the atlanta area. no matter what, water is going to get more pricey.

Old 07-24-2009, 03:05 PM

304 posts, read 856,431 times
well I guess you live in LALA land
These things Do happen,but "some" people chose not to believe.
Not every racial incident is televised...we just got lucky with the Rodney king incident! The "if it's not on TV I don't believe attitude"is so preschool naive.
tO OTE=johnatl;9927406]Funny how this was also never in the news. I have lived here for 23 years. Trust me when I tell you this - IF this indeed had actually have happened, every network in the civilized WORLD would have had satellite trucks up and down your block.

Sorry, but I don't buy this for one second.[/quote]

Old 07-25-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrynyc View Post
well I guess you live in LALA land
These things Do happen,but "some" people chose not to believe.
Not every racial incident is televised...we just got lucky with the Rodney king incident! The "if it's not on TV I don't believe attitude"is so preschool naive.
tO OTE=johnatl;9927406]Funny how this was also never in the news. I have lived here for 23 years. Trust me when I tell you this - IF this indeed had actually have happened, every network in the civilized WORLD would have had satellite trucks up and down your block.

Sorry, but I don't buy this for one second.
[/quote]

You shouldnt be calling anyone naive with this response. Johnatl brings up a VERY valid point and that is if ANY minority with maybe the exception of an illegal was persecuted by the Klan, Skinheads, etc. it would be on every news channel from here to Singapore whether it happened today or in the early 90's. I just find it hard to believe that a minority that was being harrased by a white supremecist group wouldnt report it!

Old 07-26-2009, 04:38 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I for one am all for making life as uncomfortable as possible for ALL illegals regardless of their race of ethnicity!

aaaaaaaaand here we go. You do realize the fundamental flaw with this desire right?

on one side there is accomodating such behavior and on the other trying to screw it for the other guy like in the crow era.

the english language was passed because certain companies decided to convert georgia into tijuana... starting with bank of mexico. this was aimed at them, not at the people.

the drivers license change is a natural progression. after all if you can buy a car it is assumed you will know enough english to complete the transaction and to understand kindergarden english test right? right? right i forgot. you buy a car from miguel's no credito dealership.

which brings us to the employment verification law. now, how many shady people do you think miguels no credito dealership employes, knowingly? plenty. but that is nothing compared to the legal attrocities committed by patriotic american companies that bus in loads of illegal workers to their chicken factories in gainesville and such.

and how many red white and blue good old southern boys go every morning to the local highway corner and load a few truckloads of landscapers and general workers then unload them at your place to do the job and come at the end of the day to collect your money? after all, you are paying an american right? RIGHT?

so you see, the recent laws were mostly aimed at these people. if you read the laws the penalties have gone up for employing such people, not for employees.

if anything, these changes make it uncomfortable for the uhm... flag waving americans rather than everybody else.

as such may i make a suggestion that before you jump on the fascist bandwagon of lets go get this group of folk, is to take a deeper look at why something was done and who it really affects

Old 07-26-2009, 07:52 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
aaaaaaaaand here we go. You do realize the fundamental flaw with this desire right?

on one side there is accomodating such behavior and on the other trying to screw it for the other guy like in the crow era.

the english language was passed because certain companies decided to convert georgia into tijuana... starting with bank of mexico. this was aimed at them, not at the people.

the drivers license change is a natural progression. after all if you can buy a car it is assumed you will know enough english to complete the transaction and to understand kindergarden english test right? right? right i forgot. you buy a car from miguel's no credito dealership.

which brings us to the employment verification law. now, how many shady people do you think miguels no credito dealership employes, knowingly? plenty. but that is nothing compared to the legal attrocities committed by patriotic american companies that bus in loads of illegal workers to their chicken factories in gainesville and such.

and how many red white and blue good old southern boys go every morning to the local highway corner and load a few truckloads of landscapers and general workers then unload them at your place to do the job and come at the end of the day to collect your money? after all, you are paying an american right? RIGHT?

so you see, the recent laws were mostly aimed at these people. if you read the laws the penalties have gone up for employing such people, not for employees.

if anything, these changes make it uncomfortable for the uhm... flag waving americans rather than everybody else.

as such may i make a suggestion that before you jump on the fascist bandwagon of lets go get this group of folk, is to take a deeper look at why something was done and who it really affects
You miss a fundamental and important difference. Comparing illegals to black Americans under Jim Crow is fallacious and flawed. Black Americans are just that...Americans. Illegal aliens are both...here illegally and aliens.

Bottom line is that we have a problem with people who are not citizens coming to the US without permission and in violation of our laws. It doesn't matter if you or they agree with our laws...they are OUR laws. If Americans want to vote to change them, then so be it. Until then, we should be making it difficult on them. That's the whole point. Short of rounding up all illegal aliens and putting them on a plane or bus back to their home country, we should not be making it easy for them to break our laws and remain here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia