Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 07:29 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,037 times

Advertisements

I want to take the kids tubing soon. We normally go up to Helen, but I am worried that the Hooch is too dried up around there - it was low last year when the drought was less severe.

Is Helen OK this year? If not, what's a really fun place to tube? My kids wouldn't mind a little excitement in the way of mini waterfalls etc... nothing dangerous... just a little excitement - so we'd like one that has some challenges.

Thanks ahead of time!

[+] Rate this post positively
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 11:32 PM

3 posts, read 71,710 times
I was just talking about this very thing with a friend the other day and they had just gone to Helen. They said the water level was very low and they spent most of thier time pushing themselves off of the rocks and muddy bottom. Hope this helps in planning your trip and you fjnd an alternate location idea that is safe for all.

Old 07-13-2007, 03:42 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,936 times
Georgia went through a bad dry spell - the rivers are pretty low. For a slow river, I used to like to go tubing down the Chattahoochee river on the North side of Atlanta, up in the Power's Ferry area.

There are some parts of the Chatooga river up in Rabun County that are great for tubing, but I'd call Southeastern Expeditions and ask about water levels and tubing.

The best river for tubing is just over the border in North Carolina between Franklin and Highlands - I think it's called the Cullasaja river.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 129,078 times
Smile Tubing in Georgia

Nearly every year, the water in Helen goes down. There is a place near Blairsville on Hwy 129 called Pappy's. It' on the Nottely River and the water is usually deeper than the Hooch in Helen, the crowds are way thinner also! If you like waterslides, look up Wildcat Creek for directions and photos. That place is a lot of fun, just off 197 north of Clarksville. It's free, and my kids love it.( So do I) Just another part of God's big playground.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:21 PM

387 posts, read 1,593,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachseeker8 View Post
Nearly every year, the water in Helen goes down. There is a place near Blairsville on Hwy 129 called Pappy's. It' on the Nottely River and the water is usually deeper than the Hooch in Helen, the crowds are way thinner also! If you like waterslides, look up Wildcat Creek for directions and photos. That place is a lot of fun, just off 197 north of Clarksville. It's free, and my kids love it.( So do I) Just another part of God's big playground.
I tried to Google it... I don't see waterslides? Also, what kind of tubing are we talking here? Like... sitting in a donut tube for a few hours floating down a river right?

According to the 'Hoochee's site, "The river remains a cool temperature year-round, rarely getting warmer than 50 degrees Fahrenheit"... what. That's freezing, how is one supposed to tube in that? Springs don't get above 72 degrees, and that's COLD... even on a hot, humid, swampy Florida day.

I'm just wondering about this... Beachseeker, could you link me to something about Wildcat? Thanks

Old 08-01-2007, 02:28 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,190,936 times
50 degrees has to be a mistake. Even the Chatooga that begins somewhere near Highlands NC is about 70 degrees in the summer time. I know that some rivers in NC might be in the mid 60's and it can feel like 50 degrees, but it's just not that cold. Your legs can turn a little numb though, but that's why you stick your butt in tube hole and hang your legs and arms over the side!!!

Old 08-05-2007, 10:54 AM

58 posts, read 388,544 times
You might also want to tube the Toccoa river in Fannin County between Blue Ridge and McCaysville. Its a gentle ride thats great for kids and families with lots of pretty scenery.

Old 08-05-2007, 11:19 AM

266 posts, read 1,161,963 times
Just came back from N. GA. - was planning to tube in Helen, but the water was so low, adults were wading through the "river" (ankle deep), pulling their tubes behind them.

However, the Nantahala (Bryson City) looked great!

Old 08-10-2007, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 72,528 times
Default Up the River Outfitters

Give these guys a try...Tubing, Canoeing, and Kayaking on the Chattahoochee with Up The River Outfitters Tubeing on the Chattahoochee River at the head waters near Buford Dam. Water is 50 degrees, but tubes have bottoms in them so you dont drag your bottom thru the water. 2 hour, 2 1/2 hour and 4 1/2 hour trips. In Atlanta.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 129,078 times
There's a very informative article about wildcat creek at GORP - Camping Wildcat - Nights Under Stars Near Atlanta
except it says that camping is $5.00---I think it's $8.00 now with no hookups, but it's a great place for tent camping and a very popular spot for trout fishing. The sliding rock is only about a mile down the dirt road(fs rd. 26). The road is actually called E. Wildcat Creek rd. It's the first left after the fire station off of 197 going to Moccasin Creek State Park, about 22 miles from downtown Clarkesville. There is a great campground 4 miles before that to the first right past the Cheveron just past the pizza place called Sugar Mill Creek Campground. Full hook-ups, live entertainment on the weekends, and very family and pet friendly. I just found the place last year and love it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia