U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 05:39 PM

3 posts, read 12,719 times

Advertisements

Hi there! We may be moving to Glynn county. I'm not too sure of the time frame but I'd like to get a head start in finding the right realtor. We're leaning towards St. Simons but any recommendations for great neighborhoods in Brunswick are also welcomed.

We have 1 child going into high school and the other is in elementary. What are the best schools there and are there any magnet schools in Glynn county?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 12:03 AM

81 posts, read 326,915 times
I envy you for moving to this area Try Julie Chapman.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:37 PM

117 posts, read 463,070 times
Check out Hodnett Cooper. They are great and you should be able to find a good agent to help you!

Coastal Georgia Real Estate | St Simons Island Georgia Vacation Rentals and Real Estate

As for elementary schools, SSI Elementary school is a great school! Glynn Academy (high school) is also very good!

Hope this helps some.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:29 AM

23,120 posts, read 36,855,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart03 View Post
Check out Hodnett Cooper. They are great and you should be able to find a good agent to help you!

Coastal Georgia Real Estate | St Simons Island Georgia Vacation Rentals and Real Estate

As for elementary schools, SSI Elementary school is a great school! Glynn Academy (high school) is also very good!

Hope this helps some.
I second Hodnett-Cooper...I've worked with them for years. Ann Dempsey is a consummate professional and knows the market very well.

What is your budget? There's quite a disparity between the island and the mainland. 300K is pretty much rock-bottom on the island; even then, you won't get a lot. A lot more bang for your buck in Brunswick.
If you like a more 'historic' flavor to a neighborhood, in Brunswick I would recommend either the Union St area (Victorians) or Windsor Park. North of the city I also like the 'island' community of Riverside (priciest neighborhood in Bwk), Country Club Park and Belle Pointe.
On St Simons, the basic rule is that south of Demere is where you find the 'touristier' cottages, condos and hotels (the beach neighborhoods, the Village, King City and the posh Island Club); north of Demere and the airport (mid-island, upper island) are the more 'permanent' residences and lovely subdivisions such as Devonwood, Wymberly, Sea Palms, St. Clair, West Point and waaaay north, Hampton Point (really nice but at least 15 min from even the most basic amenities). Sea Island is developing a very high-end development upper-island called Frederica; they have also relocated the resort's stables there.
Then there is neighboring Sea Island itself...I would say that 2 million is the very bottom of the market for a SFH over there. But it is lovely...
If you would like to build a home, I am particularly enamored of this new development on SSI, because:
- It is conveniently located mid-island and has river access, a rarity on the island. Undeveloped lots are also a rarity mid (and south) island unless you do a teardown.
- The developers plan to live there, so the architectural standards are very exacting.

www.wildlifepreservessi.com

Old 04-30-2010, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,907 times
c-hues: did you end up moving to the area? If so, did you like your realtor? Who did you end up using? I'm moving to Brunswick in August and am planning to house-hunt in July.

I'm wondering, too, what you think of the elementary school you ended up with?

Old 01-01-2011, 01:39 PM

3 posts, read 6,639 times
Default Relocating to St. Simons/Brunswick, GA

Removed - you need an established posting history here before you can make recommendations. Look her up and give her a call if your still looking to relocate.

The first person (Lovin Decatur) was correct about some things that they told you, but they were not totally accurate with the pricing of the housing market due to the deep depression that we are still in. The housing market on the island has been hit hard and houses are still not selling. If I were moving to the area, I would consider renting a house or condo first and live there for a little while. You will be able to get your children enrolled in their school's and see what homes are available within a good driving distance to those schools. You will learn about restaurants, doctors and dental offices, shopping, etc. and that can play a big part in where you want to live. Sometimes when you are moving to a new area and you visit the location, you find a home and you love it, but you are making a quick purchase decision. That may not be in your best interest. There is a lot of foreclosures on the island right now. There is a 1 bedroom / 1 bathroom condo near the Pier area that is up for sale due to bank foreclosure and it is listed at $103,000.00. You may not want something that small for a permanent residence, but I am just trying to show you the difference in what I am trying to say about the housing prices and the other person who wrote to you and said that $300k was the bottom line on a starter home and that you can hardly buy a lot for $300k.

Take your time and look around. There is alot of homes out there for rent right now. People can't sell them, so they are renting them. The lady, Belinda Thomas, that I mentioned earlier also handles rentals. You could live somewhere while you get to know the area. South Georgia is alot different than WV. Beautiful, but hot and steamy with alot of sand gnats.

Also, one last thing. The island is " the " place to live and there is elementary schools on the island, but the only highschool is in Brunswick. I have a child in highschool and it is a good little drive there and back each day. You have to cross a long bridge and go to the mainland to pick you child up if there was an illness or accident. Things parents have to think about.

I hope that this helps some. Good luck with your relocation.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-02-2011 at 08:06 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 07:42 PM

36,505 posts, read 46,276,092 times
I recommend Nat Harris on St. Simons Island. We bought and sold several times with him and he is great and very caring.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:11 AM

3 posts, read 12,719 times
So our house in VA got rented quicker than we expected so we had to rush to find a house on SSI. All the rental houses get snatched up quick. We ended up renting in the Village Creek Way neighborhood. Funny thing is a lady whose house we looked at saved my phone number. Her circumstances changed and wasn't able to rent out her house but she was out jogging one day and saw a house that was now for rent. I guess it was on the market for sale for a long time. She called me to let me know about the house. I couldn't believe it! She was so nice to let me know. That's something people don't do in northern VA!

Everyone we've encountered on SSI have been very nice. The lady I mentioned above, the owner of Chesters and all the guys that stopped to help us when we had a dead battery after getting gas, and the tow truck driver and his family! They were all so helpful. My husband I just were in shock at how nice everybody is down here.

As for the schools, Oglethorpe Point Elementary is THE BEST! My 2nd grader loves it there. All the teachers are wonderful! Glynn Academy is also good. The area around it kind of scared me at first but there's police presence all day. The teenagers are still trying to like the school. But they're teenagers so you can't please them 100%. What they love the most is being able to ride their bikes to the beach and the pier. We love the beach too. We don't think it's ever crowded plus it's free parking! Again we're used to paying for all that in VA/MD/DE.

So overall, we really like it here. My husband has a 15 minute commute instead of over an hour. No more northern VA/DC traffic. Driving an hour south to Jacksonville is a breeze! I hear people complain about it but with us coming from VA, this "traffic" is nothing!

Old 03-30-2015, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 862 times
Hi Everyone who can give me good advice. I am an RN in Atlanta, Metro area. But would like to live on the beach possibly nearby. I am thinking SSI would be perfect. Wonder how much the beach front homes or condos would cost and if I can afford it. Kids are grown and gone on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia