Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:01 PM

3 posts, read 11,115 times

Advertisements

Lol! I Can't Stand Spiders Either But Yes They Do Exist. So Best Thing For You To Do Is Just Buy A Big Can Of Spider Killer Like I Did And When Ya See One Lurking Around Your Front Door At Night Spray The Heck Out Of It! Ha Ha Good Luck

Lol! Every Place On The Planet Has Some Spiders Creepin Around Town. You've Got Nothing To Worry About! It's Nothin A Can Of Spider Killer Won't Take Care Of.

Last edited by Marka; 07-21-2006 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: merged
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2006, 01:53 PM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,264 times
Every night for the last couple of weeks a garden spider spins a web next to my side lite door of my French doors. I have been catching June bugs and tossing them into the web for the spider. He/she really likes the tasty morsels.

Old 07-21-2006, 09:44 PM

106 posts, read 583,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabell
I would really like to know if the spiders Iv'e read about are a problem in houses. I hate spiders and I'm seriously considering not moving to GA for this reason. I read about Brown recluse spiders. wolf spiders, and black widows. I don't want to have to search my bed everynight for these ugly huge hairy things! Does anyone have a problem with them? How do you get them out without them biting?? I don't want my dog to get bit either! We're both scardy cats!!!
Honestly, the South is infested with bugs. But it goes with the territory. It's warm to hot year round, and it's wet, so it's a perfect breeding ground for insects--and spiders--of all kinds. Winters are designed to kill things. That's what is so nice about it...

Black widows and wolf spiders are nothing to worry about. They are normally outside animals. Black widows will live in dark, creepy places like under stairs, attics, and basements but there aren't many basements in GA and stairs and attics are places YOU don't inhabit anyway.

Brown Recluses are a different story. Looking at a map that I found on the internet it appears that their range is from Oklahoma and East Texas, north to Iowa, AND last but not least, northern Georgia. They are also outdoor spiders but they can live in homes with you.

Here's a tidbit I cut out of an article online...

Quote:
Like other spiders, the brown recluse is not aggressive. It is quite common, in fact, to live in a building that is heavily infested and never be bitten. Most bites occur in response to body pressure, when a spider is inadvertently trapped against bare skin. Some people are bitten when they roll over one in bed. Other bites occur while moving stored items or putting on a piece of clothing that a spider has chosen for its daytime retreat. Brown recluse spiders have remarkably small fangs and cannot bite through clothing.
Since they can't bite through clothing, do not sleep naked!!! There you go, problem solved!

Old 07-22-2006, 04:40 AM

183 posts, read 1,007,275 times
I grew up in the northeast...I have lived in Ga. 10 years. I haven't ever had a problem with spiders or other bugs. We apply "Over and Out" on our lawn for red ants, that takes care of that. We have an exterminator take care of the exterior perimeter and the interior. I can tell you this, I have never had a flea on any of my dogs...I think the clay is too hard for them! lol! By the way, my dogs love it here, too! Woof,Y"all!

Old 07-22-2006, 06:28 AM

894 posts, read 4,349,672 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Since they can't bite through clothing, do not sleep naked!!! There you go, problem solved
That made my morning!

Old 07-22-2006, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 59,614 times
I noted that you said you grew up in the northeast and have been living in Georgia for 10 years. I was born in Massachusetts and grew up here in MA moved to Florida 1978-1991 then back to MA. I've bought a home in GA and will take early retirement in 4 years. I am so ready to leave the rat race and enjoy a gentler lifestyle.

Old 07-22-2006, 05:02 PM

183 posts, read 1,007,275 times
This is soooo THE place to be...A much nicer pace. People are friendly, you can be involved in your neighborhood, or not! When you shop, people acknowledge each other. I wouldn't let spiders or anything else scare me away. You never know what you would have missed had you not given the opportunity. It was a great adventure when we moved here. No family, didn't know a soul. We settled in, we moved 1 time...from Lawrenceville to Monroe. I am used to a more rural environment than Gwinnett offers. Too much of that closed in feeling in Gwinnett. We have 2 acres ,a ranch house with a basement...We love it.I hope this helps you...best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

Old 07-25-2006, 12:57 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proeye
Since they can't bite through clothing, do not sleep naked!!! There you go, problem solved!
There was a grossly elaborate web site out there somewhere that shows Recluse bites, and a guy who DID sleep naked got bit on his weiner. Yep - weiner. Got black and purple and about the size of a 20oz bottle of Coke.

That photo will burn a hole in my memory for life. I now sleep with double underwear and armor.

Old 07-25-2006, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,847 times
Talking Oh no!!

I've been sleeping naked because I thought the bite only caused swelling.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:18 PM

16 posts, read 130,387 times
Spiders are a not-problem. I've lived here 58 years, never been bitten by one. Black widows and brown recluse all live here, but a very shy and you would have to try really hard to get bitten, even if you were able to find one. There are no 'big as your hand' spiders here. Someone is pulling your leg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia