Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 05:07 AM

1 posts, read 2,520 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what spider is 8 legged, black and bright yellow? One is hanging in my veggie garden and is fierce looking and makes a very thick web...Know if it is poisonous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 07:20 AM

767 posts, read 2,291,261 times
I believe that is called the garden spider. Its not considered poisoneous and is actually very interesting to watch.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:32 AM

37 posts, read 166,414 times
Spiders and other creepy crawlies can be dealt with by calling a bug-man!

Old 09-07-2008, 11:07 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juri View Post
Anyone know what spider is 8 legged, black and bright yellow? One is hanging in my veggie garden and is fierce looking and makes a very thick web...Know if it is poisonous?
There are different names for it, but the common street name is "writing spider" because they create designs in their web that old timers used to say looked like they were trying to write words. The popular children's story "Charlotte's Web" features a writing spider as the character.

Here are some pics of it: writing spider - Google Image Search

They're not poisonous per se, unless you have an odd allergic reaction to the venom. They'll sit in their web and let people get extremely close without moving a hair, but if you bother them or the web directly, yes, they can and have been known to bite. Kids will blow on them for fun (as it causes them to "bounce" up and down on their web like a trampoline).

They're beneficial in that they eat lots of bugs and even other spiders that might be more dangerous to you, so unless he/she is in a spot where someone stands a good chance of walking right into the center of the web, I'd leave it alone. They never wonder into homes or anything - they stay outdoors - so no worry about that.

Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 AM

165 posts, read 548,715 times
Those quarter-sized scorpions are a bigger problem for me.

Old 10-12-2008, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,285 times
Default Spiders, spiders EVERYWHERE

I moved from the Midwest and have NEVER seen the amount of spiders running around as I have since moving to GA. Not only are there a whole lot more - they're HUGE. Anyone who tells you differently is a liar!~

Old 10-12-2008, 01:08 PM

255 posts, read 742,819 times
Does it look like this one ?

Old 12-04-2008, 04:42 PM

17 posts, read 54,405 times
No way big as a hand,not even a new born,s hand.Been in GA 40 yr,s lived in the WOODS 15 yr of the 40.If it helps you feel safe put a silk screen around your bed,there back in style (i think).............YG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia