Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 12:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,781 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother moving to Georgia to go to art school. I have no idea about safe neighborhoods, good schools, anything like that. I am currently searching for as much info as possible, I live in Texas and visiting won't be an option prior to moving. If you get any info you can share please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 03:35 PM

233 posts, read 1,227,131 times
Where are you going to school.....SCAD in Savannah? If so, the best areas with good schools are Geogetown, Richmond Hill, Bloomingdale, and Effingham County. Feel free to contact me for any information. My husband is originally from Texas and he likes it here. We live in the Pooler area. The elementary school here isn't bad, neither is the middle. But from what I hear, the high school isn't great. We have 2 elementary aged children and my husband is in the military, so we probably won't be here for high school.

Old 12-10-2006, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,780 times
Angry outahere

outahere

iam looking to move to cummings in northwest georgia, i visited and loved it seem like a quiet town area, can you tell me about the area, what kind of people live there, is this a new and up comming area. good by coral spring, florida no more hurricanes, no more sky high insurance and taxes.........................

Old 12-14-2006, 09:54 AM

19 posts, read 220,687 times
Fruitnik you go it right on the money about living in south florida. I gotta say, being born and raised in So. FL., it's almost a shame that we want to go, but the cost of living is becoming very outragous. Unfortunately, it's not a place I want to live anymore. I'm currently researching places in GA too!

Old 12-14-2006, 10:31 PM

607 posts, read 1,393,672 times
Hi Gawain Atwater,
Since you are around the same age as I am, maybe you could give me advice. I am a 26 year old single male with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. I live in the greater Cincinnati, Ohio area right now, but I have always wanted to move down south close to the ocean. I actually live in a rural area outside of cincy, oh. I have lived most of my life in this area and I enjoy the laid back, slower pace lifestyle. Last month, I initially accepted a job in North Charleston, South Carolina. However, after thinking it thru, I decided to not take the job and not move down there. It is a very nice city, but not very cheap to live in. Plus, the job I initially accepted was not the type of job I wanted. Anyways, I am looking to move down south and close to the coast. Doesn't have to be right on coast, but close enough to where I could just go to the beach after a tough day at work. Since I have lived in a rural/small town area most of my life, I am looking for a small town or rural area to live in. I would even be willing to live in a small to medium size city with population not above 100,000 people. Obviously being a single young male, this place would have to have some kind of social gathering places where I could meet new people around my age. This place would have to have a low cost of living. I would probably just be living in an apartment, so monthly rent from $325-$475 would be great. This place would have to have a low crime rate and offer good job opportunities for young professionals like me. I graduated college at age 24, so I am still pretty "fresh" as far as post graduate job experience goes. I have only been at my present job, which is my first job out of college for 21 months, so I truly am a very young professional. I am the customer service manager at my company. And eventually someday, I would like to marry and have a family so this place would have to be a nice place to start and raise a family. Would the Brunswick/St. Simons area be a good fit or could you suggest any other places? And if anybody else wants to give suggestions, feel free. I just thought I would direct this toward Gawain being around my age and such. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:50 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,081,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
Hi Gawain Atwater,
Since you are around the same age as I am, maybe you could give me advice. I am a 26 year old single male with a bachelor's degree in mass communications. I live in the greater Cincinnati, Ohio area right now, but I have always wanted to move down south close to the ocean. I actually live in a rural area outside of cincy, oh. I have lived most of my life in this area and I enjoy the laid back, slower pace lifestyle. Last month, I initially accepted a job in North Charleston, South Carolina. However, after thinking it thru, I decided to not take the job and not move down there. It is a very nice city, but not very cheap to live in. Plus, the job I initially accepted was not the type of job I wanted. Anyways, I am looking to move down south and close to the coast. Doesn't have to be right on coast, but close enough to where I could just go to the beach after a tough day at work. Since I have lived in a rural/small town area most of my life, I am looking for a small town or rural area to live in. I would even be willing to live in a small to medium size city with population not above 100,000 people. Obviously being a single young male, this place would have to have some kind of social gathering places where I could meet new people around my age. This place would have to have a low cost of living. I would probably just be living in an apartment, so monthly rent from $325-$475 would be great. This place would have to have a low crime rate and offer good job opportunities for young professionals like me. I graduated college at age 24, so I am still pretty "fresh" as far as post graduate job experience goes. I have only been at my present job, which is my first job out of college for 21 months, so I truly am a very young professional. I am the customer service manager at my company. And eventually someday, I would like to marry and have a family so this place would have to be a nice place to start and raise a family. Would the Brunswick/St. Simons area be a good fit or could you suggest any other places? And if anybody else wants to give suggestions, feel free. I just thought I would direct this toward Gawain being around my age and such. Thanks.
Goodluck finding an apartment for 325 to 475 a month.If you do find one for that price it will probably be a dump and in a bad area.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:43 AM

1 posts, read 2,777 times
I to am moving to Georgia. I am relocating to peachtree city for employment. I have been told to try to move to north peachtree or fayetteville. Sounds sort of country. My wife and I are wondering what to expect as far as culture, diversity, and entertainment. If none how long does it take to get into the city

Old 02-16-2007, 09:35 AM

12 posts, read 62,126 times
Default check out jesup, ga

Jesup is a town of 28,000 people located 40 miles north of Brunswick. Schools are good, people are friendly, and racial tension is pretty much non-existent. I remember a poll in our local newspaper a few months back which asked several African Americans what they thought of race relations in Wayne County and only 1 had anything negative to say. Living expenses are reasonable and job opportunities are pretty good. There are several other towns within easy driving distance.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitnik View Post
hello I'm coming from Miami and I'm dying to move into Georgia..Heres tha catch i have no idea what city to move to. I have not been to GA since I was 5..but I hate living in Florida and I think this is my calling..I am a african american female with 2 kids..I would love suggesions for some good cities with a mixture of peope and low crime rates.. Please help I will really appreciate it..I will be moving with the next 2 months it's kinda on a whim
Try Douglasville. Look at Tributary at New Manchester, but there are other nice new communities. Easy commute to airport, downtown Atlanta, etc.

Old 02-16-2007, 11:06 AM

2 posts, read 5,110 times
Athens is a great small city...
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitnik View Post
hello I'm coming from Miami and I'm dying to move into Georgia..Heres tha catch i have no idea what city to move to. I have not been to GA since I was 5..but I hate living in Florida and I think this is my calling..I am a african american female with 2 kids..I would love suggesions for some good cities with a mixture of peope and low crime rates.. Please help I will really appreciate it..I will be moving with the next 2 months it's kinda on a whim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia