U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 04:11 PM

9 posts, read 54,679 times

Advertisements

Starting to think about relocating to Georgia... perhaps the Leesburg/Albany area. Have dug around into what I can find on the web, including real estate... but would love to get as much insider information as I can from actual residents of the area. We'd be coming from a very small town in NE Indiana (born and raised here), so it would be a scary move.

My husband and I would be self-employed so the job climate wouldn't be as important as would be the high schools (we have 2 teens who will be freshmen this fall), and general attitudes of local residents. Is there a lot of crime? Is there much for teens to do in the area? Are there too-tightly-knit communities that might not be welcoming of newcomers?

Anyone??? THANKS!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 06:52 PM

108 posts, read 654,371 times
Lee County is a very fast growing county. You'll have to travel to Albany for most shopping but that will change in a few years. One developer is planning a large lifestyle center in a year or two.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:55 AM

10,224 posts, read 21,015,243 times
Lee Co. seems to have better schools than Dougherty Co. and you have to live there in order for your child to enroll. They are very strict about this rule.

I think Lee County will feel very similar to rural IN. Most people are fairly conservative, but because the area has grown so much, I don't think you will be the only newcomer. For the most part people are very welcoming there.

You may encounter negative threads on the Albany area. Take them with a grain of salt.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:02 AM

Smile Thanks....

Thank you, both, for the input. It's appreciated!

Old 04-30-2007, 10:23 AM

3 posts, read 3,574 times
Hey Lily-

please take any positive comments about Albany with A GRAIN OF SALT. Certain people from ALbany on this forum seem to love to take away freedom of expression when it comes to any negative opinions of their city, showing you what kind of people live there. Please look into all the NEGATIVE comments about Albany and compare them to the Positive ones before you move your kids there. Albany is NOT a popular town with teenagers and young adults especially. It may be what you are looking for, but don't be fooled by these people who have never been outside Dougherty County to compare it with anything else.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 11,236 times
Could someone give me some specifics on the Leesburg area? Especially for teens. How are the schools? Is there anything for the kids to do besides get into trouble? I am considering a job in Albany and really trying to find a way to take it, but the posts on Albany trouble me. How about Leesburg for kids?

Old 05-03-2007, 10:58 AM

Arrow Thanks for the candor...

Breakfast in America:

THANKS for the "heads up". I have been digging a little deeper and there've been people who've sent me private messages in order to freely be more honest about the cons of living in the area.

We've decided that it likely would NOT be a good match for our family (based NOT entirely on what I've learned here but also from other sources)... so I'm looking elsewhere.

I really appreciate the people who use these forums properly and are completely forthright, and not simply here to inflame others or start arguments/debates whenever possible.

Again...THANK YOU!!

Last edited by LilyNBlue; 05-03-2007 at 11:01 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 05-12-2007, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 28,159 times
Default Stay Away From Albany

WARNING! Do not listen to anything anyone is saying about Albany, GA. This is by far the worst of ALL of Georgia's major cities. The city is characterless. There is nothing to do at all! Especially for kids. NOTHING! This city is econmically depressed! A good reason why is due to the lack of an interstate. The city is ran by "traditonalists" who hate the idea of change. Lee County is a little more open minded, but not enough. Albany will need to trive for Lee County to florish. Lee county schools are good, but they are overated!!! Ask the kids who attend! It is my guess that you are looking for a small city. Try Columbus-Phenix City, Athens, Macon-Warner Robins, Savannah, maybe even Brunswick areas! Avoid this city at all costs! Ask the residents (the ones who have actually been outside of the city before!!!!) about how they feel. Moving to Albany will be your worst mistake!

Old 11-27-2007, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 53,025 times
Considering Albany? Don't!!!!!!!!!! I've been here for 30 years, have a very good job with a major company and I'm going to move my family without a job just to get out of this nosediveing town. Doesn't matter which county you live in surrounding Albany it still bad. This whole area is poorly managed from the ground up and will not get any better. The good ole buddy system runs this area. It's hard to make friends because eveyone is in a cliche. Most people live beyond there means (even though the cost of living is low). Racism is still very strong. If you don't hunt or fish there is nothing to do, even if you do you can't afford land and there is'nt much public land. The education is one of the worst in the U.S.. The private schools are good if you compare them to the local public but you can hardly afford them. Home schooling is very popular here for a reason. If you have ANY choice on your move to this location just read the threads.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:13 PM

102 posts, read 337,938 times
Default Albany...maybe not the best choice

You can always consider Albany, but as a word of advice I wouldn't!!! The crime is horrible! I live 1hr30min or so. You can always check out their news website if you wanna know whats going on their (you can see all the crimes that take place)..... WALB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or