U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 02:02 AM

34 posts, read 181,197 times

Advertisements

Traveling from overseas to Atlanta for work for 5 months, was wondering where I will be able to buy a prepaid sim card, I would just like the prepaid sim card instead of buying a prepaid phone. thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 07:50 AM

9,191 posts, read 32,431,807 times
It's important to note that some (maybe all?) of the prepaid phone services here don't allow their phones to be used overseas (so the Sim Cards wouldn't work while over there, either). Example: Tracfone/Net10 phones can be used to make International calls when you're HERE (15-cents a minute), but their literature says the phones (and Sims) won't work if you are overseas to make calls while there.

AT&T brags about how well their phones work in an International setting, but that's for their regular services and not their prepaid GoPhone services. They may be the ones to call though regarding if a Sim card for a Gophone will work overseas. Don't hold your breath though. The U.S. is one of the most loose countries that let folks get prepaid service without having to register their real names anywhere. Many countries due to stricter terrorism laws (such as Greece) now force you to go through a formal process to register prepaid/sim purchases, so it's doubtful a prepaid/sim from our country brought over there would work properly.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:12 PM

I was saying I will be traveling from outside of the USA. Will be working in Atlanta for a short duration, I will need a prepaid sim card so I can use while I'm in the States (I do not intend to bring the US prepaid sim card to another country to use). So anyone know where I can purchase a prepaid sim card?

thanks

Old 07-31-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelee324 View Post
I was saying I will be traveling from outside of the USA. Will be working in Atlanta for a short duration, I will need a prepaid sim card so I can use while I'm in the States (I do not intend to bring the US prepaid sim card to another country to use). So anyone know where I can purchase a prepaid sim card?

thanks
Sorry, my bad. I reverse-read your question.

Maybe someone will know of a place but here is a response to a very similar question to yours on another board. I can't post the link to that board, but here was an answer from someone who claimed to travel between the U.S. and Europe and back again regularly...

"Unlike in Europe, prepaid SIM cards do not exist in the United States. You'll probably get a funny look if you ask for one. We have SIM cards, but each phone comes with one and it is used as memory.

You'll probably have to use some type of calling card
."

So, in the event you are unable to find out from anyone else about cards you can get here (or you just can't get them here), I'll offer a suggestion for a prepaid phone you can use while here that's cheap...

You can go to the electronics chain store "Best Buy" now and get the LG300 prepaid Net10 phone for only $24.99, and it includes 300 minutes of airtime. So essentially, you're getting the phone completely free, plus a discount on the normally 10-cents a minute 300 minutes that comes with it. It's a no-thrills phone (no camera, etc) but it gets decent reception and is a completely workable short-term solution if you're just going to be here for a limited time. Other more featured Net10 phones are available too for a few more dollars, such as the Motorola EM326 (camera, blue tooth, etc).

So if you CAN'T find your sim card while here, those would be my suggested backup options.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 PM

thanks for taking your time to help atlantagreg - i really appreciate it. I think I'll just go pick up one of the prepaid phones from walmart, since the closest bestbuy to where I will be staying is 20min away.

Seems like Net10 phone offers the best value out there.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:02 AM

288 posts, read 492,781 times
I would look into t-mobile prepaid.

Net10 used to be very expensive but it appears they lowered prices to compete but I think t mobile is still cheaper.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 11,003 times
hello am new to atlanta, 4 days old here and i find your suggestion okay, in my own case,i will be staying for 3 yrs and need a phone with a network that has internet so i can connect with my computer and browse..a cheap network...any idea atgreg?thxblue

Old 09-08-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetoot View Post
hello am new to atlanta, 4 days old here and i find your suggestion okay, in my own case,i will be staying for 3 yrs and need a phone with a network that has internet so i can connect with my computer and browse..a cheap network...any idea atgreg?thxblue
Well, first of all, it's better to create your own thread than to "hijack" someone else's existing thread on a topic (for future reference):

But if you're going to be here 3 YEARS, and if you're in the metro Atlanta area, then Verizon is the better of the providers in terms of coverage. They have various text/surfing plans as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia