Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:10 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,883,354 times

Advertisements

I remember when I first moved down here from WV years ago, I thought it was insane the lack of basements here. I mean, back home a tornado is very rare and here they're every-other week sometimes in Spring, yet, so few homes have basements. Back home they were mostly where the washer/drier and utility stuff went (furnace, water heater, etc). A few people finished them into a rec room. Here they can save your life during a bad storm season. To me if I were building new here, it would be WELL worth the extra money to add one to my home plan.

Wanna hear something even more stupid? In the mid-60s when ranch style homes were the rage in many neighborhoods here, most had crawl spaces under them. The builders thought it was a really bright idea to put the gas furnaces UNDER THE HOMES in the crawlspace. Yes. Under...the...home.

A friend of mine bought the house I live in. He lives on one side and I rent the other, so I didn't have a choice in it since I'm just a renter, but that's the setup here. Furnace under the house. Every time you have to simply change the filter you have to crawl on your hands and knees under the house about 35 feet (spiders, critters, etc) to the furnace in order to do it. And you MUST get the thing inspected properly by experts every year as one fluke in the thing and "poof", up you go. He's going to eventually invest $$$ into building a proper utility room on the side of the house and have it relocated into that room, but it just goes to show the really big time "DUH" moments developers sometime have here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 09:47 PM

91 posts, read 477,012 times
Thanks for info Bob. I enjoy learning bout the small things that make ya go Hmm? . You have just answered one of my Hmm? questions.
Dean

Old 04-26-2007, 06:15 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrencevilleGA View Post
Makes ya wonder why granite tops are so expensive and there's piles of granite all along the construction areas.

It makes ME wonder why MARTA chose to order the granite for the Decatur Station from China, putting the renovation of that station months behind schedule and way more expensive than necessary.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:46 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It makes ME wonder why MARTA chose to order the granite for the Decatur Station from China, putting the renovation of that station months behind schedule and way more expensive than necessary.
I can't comment on why their schedule is slipping, but I can tell you that there are certain colors that are only available from China (as that's where then stone is found), and it's also typically pretty cheap stone because the labor is absurdly cheap. Even with the shipping costs, Chinese and Indian stones are still cheaper than some US-quarried stones.

There's another reason architects specify stone from India and China as well- their environmental regulations are far more lax than in other areas of the world, and they still allow the use of lead in the polishing process. This produces an excellent shine, but the process was banned in most countries because the workers were getting lead poisoning from being exposed to the dust and residue. Apparently they don't care about that in India and China. Sad, but true.

Bob

Old 04-26-2007, 07:00 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,341,634 times
Quote:
Marta chose the Chinease granite because of cost. They could have gotten the same stuff here but it was cheaper to ship it from China because of the Labor costs being so low (like Bob said). In reality it ended up being more expensive becasue their order got delayed. If it had been on time they would have completed the project on time and on budget.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:26 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
This produces an excellent shine.

Bob

I'm sure MARTA got their hands on some beautiful stone. It'll look great once it's covered in gum and tagged with thick-pointed permanent markers.

Old 04-26-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I'm sure MARTA got their hands on some beautiful stone. It'll look great once it's covered in gum and tagged with thick-pointed permanent markers.
I'm sure it will. I often wonder about the selections that are made for public projects like this. Let's just hope they were smart enough to buy some good anti-graffitti coatings for the stone.........

Bob

Old 04-26-2007, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,157 times
Default basements

my husband and i spent 2 glorious months in st simons ge. we looked at homes on slabs and on stilts. we were told there are no basements because if you did down you hit water. i was also told that there are new rules - if a house is build on low ground it must be on stilts or blocks-- but if it's relatively high ground it can be on a slab.

is this true? also, if it's on a slab and there are plumbing issues, do they have to drill thru the slab to make repairs?

thanks for any input

Old 04-26-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsla View Post
my husband and i spent 2 glorious months in st simons ge. we looked at homes on slabs and on stilts. we were told there are no basements because if you did down you hit water. i was also told that there are new rules - if a house is build on low ground it must be on stilts or blocks-- but if it's relatively high ground it can be on a slab.

is this true? also, if it's on a slab and there are plumbing issues, do they have to drill thru the slab to make repairs?

thanks for any input
I'm not familiar with St. Simons, but if they've enacted regulations like that, it sounds like they're in a pretty major flood zone. Typically, your insurance company will want the house built a minimum elevation above the floodplain, in which case your statement about being "on stilts" in the low-lying areas makes sense.

And yes, if you're on a slab, any plumbing repairs for lines under the slab will require tearing open the slab. To make this less likely, you can run the hot and cold supply lines into the ceiling and then drop down the walls. That will eliminate a major source of potential leaks, as only waste piping (and the incoming water service) will be below the slab.

Bob

Old 04-28-2007, 12:40 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,449,916 times
Yes, I imagine most of St. Simons would be completely covered by water in a Class 4 or 5 hurricane. That's why they now require that new houses are built on stilts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia