Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:38 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeshonder View Post
Based upon your previous posts, which have certainly not been flattering to Georgia, I have some suspicions about the motives of this question. But, my favorite breakfast is left over pizza, which I just had today. Otherwise, it is usually some type of fruit and a whole grain toast.
ditto...very curious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 12:29 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
my favorite breakfast is left over pizza
Same for my wife. Eats cold pizza for breakfast all the time. Of course she was born in MA and lived her whole life until 2007 in CT and MA.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:56 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Yeah I'm all about left over pizza. Never time for breakfast so I rarely eat it but if I do it's usually left overs or chicken noodle soup.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:34 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Fish & grits.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:10 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Fish & grits.
You know the funny thing is that grits have grown on me over the years. I just can't drown them in butter, which I gather is the "proper" way to eat them. I love oatmeal and have been known to substitute grits for oatmeal. My wife always thought I was crazy until she moved south and got a quick education at the Waffle House.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:17 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,365,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You know the funny thing is that grits have grown on me over the years. I just can't drown them in butter, which I gather is the "proper" way to eat them. I love oatmeal and have been known to substitute grits for oatmeal. My wife always thought I was crazy until she moved south and got a quick education at the Waffle House.
LOL! You know what I tell Northerners that are a little finnicky about grits?

It's nothing more than white polenta! Which is true, btw.

You can actually refrigerate them, and then incorporate them into Italian dishes. The taste is identical.

My Southern Mom would also refrigerate them, and then fry them up the next morning. It was a compromise for my Midwestern Dad when she couldn't find mush in the stores. Yes, believe it or not, some Great Lakes area folks eat fried mush for breakfast. They even have it on the menu at Bob Evan's! Mush being polenta - same thing.

Regional dishes turn me on.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:19 AM

132 posts, read 446,319 times
Georgians need to try salt fish and fryed bake. Let's see if anyone picks up on this....

Old 08-17-2009, 12:18 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Grits are best with a good portion of grated cheese slathered in.

My favorite breakfast is a couple of fried eggs with runny yellows mashed up in the cheese grits with bacon or sausage patties. Stir the whole thing up in a big nasty mess. Some good biscuits and gravy made from the sausage drippings on a side plate. A second biscuit with sourwood honey for dessert, if you can have 'dessert' at breakfast.

Of course I have this about once a year when I visit my mom. If this were a regular occurance, I would be the size of a barn.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:53 AM

470 posts, read 1,501,081 times
I have never been able to develop a taste for grits, doesn't matter how they are prepared. And I have eaten strange foods all over the world.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:44 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
I have never been able to develop a taste for grits, doesn't matter how they are prepared. And I have eaten strange foods all over the world.
Throw some shrimp in them- you may change your mind. I know that sounds odd, but I was never a fan of grits either, until we had shrimp-n-grits at a catered breakfast function at our office. They had to beat me with the serving spoon to get me away from that tray......lol.

My sister and her family had flown into town from NJ that morning and we stopped at my office on the way back from the airport. She'd mentioned that she was starving, and as we got into the lobby of the office, there was still plenty of food left, so I told her to dig in. She took one look at the thick-cut bacon, biscuits and gravy, shrimp-n-grits, etc., and decided that she could wait until lunch.....lol. Oh well- more for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia