Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 05:39 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,342,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlevo View Post
I am speaking as an outsider who has some knowledge of how they do it out of state, but I would guess (emphasis on the guess.. don't flame me with a list of complaints if I'm wrong) that the aggressive stance would include a combination of the following...

* Better follow-up to make sure people who should register are doing so. This also includes forcing registrants too close to schools, etc to relocate.
* Hiring one (or several) officers who's full time job is enforcing registrant issues.
* Changing zoning ordinances to limit or eliminate "halfway houses" for sexual criminals... in my experience they where not as bad as you would initially think (although still bad, and usually a house in a residential area), and would be mainly juvenile offenders or lesser "exposing in public".
* Awareness programs to get more people identified and put in jail (because you only register when you are released)
* (I really hope this one is not the case)... Politicians could intentionally underfund or under-staff the registration program to have less people in the system. Unfortunately some people take the ostrich approach and try to sweep things under the rug. Fortunately they are rare, and tend to get caught.

This can be a tough problem though, because in the short run, the better job you do (making people register) the worse you look (people who were unknown are now classified as a registrant and the numbers go up).
In addition to these a lot of communities are increasing the distance that sex offenders can legally live within a gathering place for children. A gathering place for children can include schools, parks, bus stops, day cares, etc. The standard distance is 1000 feet. Peachtree City was planning (I if my memory is correct the did) up theirs to 2000 feet. The 2000 feet rule would have made almost every residential unit in PT City illegal for sex offenders. The problem with this law is has a tendency to push sex offenders underground instead of to areas that are 2000 feet from children's gathering places. You want to get all of the sex offenders registered and regularly check up on the worst ones. Awareness is key.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 10:29 AM

21 posts, read 84,051 times
Default U think Ga is bad...............

Check out the statistics in Florida, that is the NUMBER 1 reason I am relocating my family from Fl to Ga.

There are 200+ registared sex offenders within a 5 mile radius of my house, and here in Fl it doesn't matter which direction you go, it's like that everywhere!!

I am in the Tampa Bay area now, but am soon Georgia bound.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,886 times
Exclamation What's the deal with all the sex offenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by OH_girl_stuck_in_GA View Post
In south GA, there is a large number of sex offenders because 18-20 year olds date 14-16 year olds and when the girls get pregnant, mom and dad have her press statutory rape charges against the older boy. So down here it's become a rite of passage in a way.
You are so right: Im dealing with that situation now, a 21 year old male seeing my 15 year old daughter. They have both been told not to see each other.The problem is we can never catch them together. We have spoken to the police several times and gone to the magistrate court, and the district attorneys office. Only to be told there is nothing that can be done unless we catch them having sex. Oh, we can file a restraining order against him but as soon as she sees him it's voided. This has infuriated me and my husband, I cannot believe there is nothing we can do, he's a pervert!!!!!!!. I feel so helpless, and have lost all respect for the law!! In this day and time I can't believe there is no law to to protect our kids and according to the D.A. georgia supposedly has the toughest laws for this in the country. If so people BEWARE!!! our kids are free prey !!

Old 05-25-2007, 04:56 PM

127 posts, read 748,207 times
To the person who said that sex offenders can't afford Peachtree City: you are either kidding or ignorant. Sex offenders come in all shapes and sizes, rich/poor, ugly/handsome, gay/straight, etc. But you know that, right?

Old 05-28-2007, 12:50 PM

133 posts, read 504,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChooch View Post
To the person who said that sex offenders can't afford Peachtree City: you are either kidding or ignorant. Sex offenders come in all shapes and sizes, rich/poor, ugly/handsome, gay/straight, etc. But you know that, right?
*Chuckles*

Old 05-30-2007, 12:19 PM

2 posts, read 7,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarism View Post
You are so right: Im dealing with that situation now, a 21 year old male seeing my 15 year old daughter. They have both been told not to see each other.The problem is we can never catch them together. We have spoken to the police several times and gone to the magistrate court, and the district attorneys office. Only to be told there is nothing that can be done unless we catch them having sex. Oh, we can file a restraining order against him but as soon as she sees him it's voided. This has infuriated me and my husband, I cannot believe there is nothing we can do, he's a pervert!!!!!!!. I feel so helpless, and have lost all respect for the law!! In this day and time I can't believe there is no law to to protect our kids and according to the D.A. georgia supposedly has the toughest laws for this in the country. If so people BEWARE!!! our kids are free prey !!
Contact a local Children's Advocacy Center in your area and ask to speak with one of the forensic interviewers there. Explain the situation to them and ask for their advice regarding what avenues are open to you. I'd also contact the prosecuting attorney's office and ask to speak with a Victim Advocate. They can give you more information regarding Georgia's laws and what you can do as a parent with the information that you have.

I did find this on a search,
Quote:
Ga. Code Ann. § 19-7-5(b)(3), (3.1) (WESTLAW through 2001)

Exceptions:

'Sexual abuse' shall not include consensual sex acts involving persons of the opposite sex when the sex acts are between minors or between a minor and an adult who is not more than five years older than the minor. This provision shall not be deemed or construed to repeal any law concerning the age or capacity to consent.
Since the situation you described is between your 15 year old daughter and a 21 year old man, there is more than 5 years difference in their ages and he would not fall under any "Exceptions" and would be considered to be sexually abusing your daughter.

Good luck with everything and I hope that the information I gave is helpful to you.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:11 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,591,098 times
the best site to search for sex offenders in GA is:
Map Sex Offenders in my local area and neighborhood. Search for and find registered sexual predators in our free national registry.

It literally puts them on a map for you.
You can click on the icon & it will bring up their pic, charges, convictions, etc.
It has been a frustrating attempt to locate a home in Henry County (near the Ola schools because they are so spread out)
I noticed Alpharetta only has like 2...

We want to stay south of Atlanta, because the rest of our family is in Macon. Have heard Henry County has one of the best school systems in state, what to do, what to do...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia