Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 01:01 PM

23 posts, read 182,602 times

Advertisements

North Springs High school is a public high school but it's also a magnet school for math, science and the arts. Kids who live in the attendance area of the fulton county school attend and those who are accepted for the magnet school attend but may live in different area. Many talented people have attended this school. My daughter was a dual magnet in performing arts and voice for 2 years at North Springs. There are many gifted teachers there. Sandy Springs has recently incorporated and the word is it's the next buckhead. There are many successful and large business also in Alpharetta. The traffic is terrible but highway 400 is being widened and is schedule for completion in November. I just read the average income in Alpharetta is $142,000 which makes it an upscale area with great schools, shopping, and restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2006, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,327 times
I live in Lawrenceville and love the Gwinnett County area! I highly recommend it. I have made a lot of great 'Mommy Friends' since I had my son a year ago, so much so that I ended up starting my own website to set-up playdates and outings with them, lol!

Old 07-30-2006, 01:10 PM
MsB

2 posts, read 7,363 times
Default Looking to become a GA mom

Does anyone have any insight on Newnan or Senioa? My family is looking to relocate to GA and I have 2 children (5 & 9). How R the schools, neighborhoods, and traffic? My fiancee has already found a job there so we'll be moving soon from WI. All replies will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-30-2006, 03:36 PM

436 posts, read 681,811 times
All that traffic, traffic, traffic, and air pollution. Yuck! - Atlanta and surrounding burbs do have exceptional shopping and dining variety, but did I mention the traffic? Get use to gassing up. - you'll be driving, driving, driving a lot.

Last edited by brian_2; 07-30-2006 at 03:54 PM..

Old 07-30-2006, 03:57 PM

6 posts, read 18,870 times
MsB I will tell you the information I was told about newnan. I've never been there and am not from there (I am relocating to GA as well), but a friend who is told me to stay away from the old neighborhoods and go more towards newer houses close to I85. I have no info on Senoia. HTH some! Good Luck~

Old 07-30-2006, 04:15 PM

6 posts, read 44,154 times
I Use To Live In The Lawrenceville Area And The Schools There Are Very Crowded Now. Not That This Matters At All But Just Thought I Would Let You Know Because It Does Matter To Some Whites And Blacks Are The Minority In The Schools There.

If You Are Wanting To Stay In The Gwinnett County Schools There Are Some New Ones In The Dacula And Hoschton Area Called Mill Creek High. I Am Not Sure What The Elem. & Middle Schools Are Called. But All Of Them Are Huge The High School Looks Like A Jr. College And The Elem. Looks Like A High School.

I Moved Out To Barrow Co. And The Schools Are Ok Out Here Just Depending What Area You Move Into. I Live In Hoschton On The Gwinnett And Barrow Line. So Far I Like The Schools But Mine Are Still In Elem. We Are Having To Relocate To Spring Hill, Tennessee Because Of My Husbands Job.

Good Luck!!!

Old 08-02-2006, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 35,214 times
Default Canton, acworth, woodstock, waleska schools

We are looking to move into the cherokee county area (my husband's company has an office in Alpharetta). We are moving from NJ due to the rising taxes. We don't want to move where there is tremendous traffic and we don't want to move to the boonies.

Our most concern is with schooling. I have three daughters. 7 1/2, 4 and 10mos old. My oldest is entering into 2nd grade, she is currently in an amazing elementary school. We are looking for an awesome school system. We would also like a school system where there is parental involvement.

I am wondering are there any elementary schools that are very close to housing? It seems the schools are way far away from housing. Our school is within walking distance and we really love that.

Also, does anyone have and info on school nurse involvement. My oldest has Asthma and severe food allergies. Our nurse here is wonderful. I am very concerned about how the nurse interacts with the schools in georgia.

Thanks for any information you can give

Old 08-02-2006, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 3,283 times
I've lived in all of those areas you mentioned.. and out of all of them I thought Roswell was a pretty decent place to live. There's a school there (on the border of Roswell and Alpharetta) and it's Centennial High School. It has a really active drama program and a fairly new school.

Also.. (just speaking from experience) I think Alpharetta has more neighborhood schools than where I've seen elsewhere. Many of my friend's children walk to school from their house (elementary). I hadn't really seen that anywhere else where I've lived, schools were usually on major roads.
Sandy Springs is nice too.. it's a small town feel but very close to the action of the city. I don't know about schools but Dunwoody (can get traffic-y) is nice place to live.

As for where are the moms.. there's a lot of websites for finding them! You could try gamom.com or atlantamommas.com they have lots of members who could help answer your questions I'm sure!

Old 08-02-2006, 08:03 PM

22 posts, read 94,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkelley71
We are looking to move into the cherokee county area (my husband's company has an office in Alpharetta). We are moving from NJ due to the rising taxes. We don't want to move where there is tremendous traffic and we don't want to move to the boonies.

Our most concern is with schooling. I have three daughters. 7 1/2, 4 and 10mos old. My oldest is entering into 2nd grade, she is currently in an amazing elementary school. We are looking for an awesome school system. We would also like a school system where there is parental involvement.

I am wondering are there any elementary schools that are very close to housing? It seems the schools are way far away from housing. Our school is within walking distance and we really love that.

Also, does anyone have and info on school nurse involvement. My oldest has Asthma and severe food allergies. Our nurse here is wonderful. I am very concerned about how the nurse interacts with the schools in georgia.

Thanks for any information you can give
I've been researching those same areas as well (as we are looking to relocate to GA) and have found the website www.greatschools.net to be extremely helpful. I have also found google earth to be an invaluable resource. When you try to map a particular house from some of the real estate sites, you can't really get a good idea about proximity to shopping or schools or even if it is in a development or not. When I look in google earth I turn on the shopping, the different layers (shopping, community services, etc) and it shows where all of that is. Also, since it is a satellite image, I can see if the house I like is out in the middle of nowhere or in a neighborhood where my kids will have friends to play with. Hope this helps!

Old 08-03-2006, 07:25 PM

15 posts, read 64,802 times
Where in New Jersey are you moving from? My family may also relocate to Cherokee County soon (my husband has been offered a job in Alpharetta as well). We live in Monmouth county, Lincroft area. I know how you feel about schooling. It is hard to leave such great school districts but I think our children will do just fine. We have been looking mostly in Canton and I can share whatever info. I have received with you, just let me know.

p.s. Upon searching this board, I have met some great people from our area that are living in Cherokee county and have been very helpful. Good luck!

Last edited by MB2; 09-09-2009 at 10:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia